The Big Khom Loy Burn At Mae Jo

SwaziBird

I know that the event is scheduled for this Saturday 8th Nov.

I've heard there's a ceremony at the Buddhist meditation Centre (?) prior to the release of these 40 million hot-air lanterns but, does anyone know what time they are scheduled to be released

Will appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Cheers

I've heard there's a ceremony at the Buddhist meditation Centre (?) prior to the release of these 40 million hot-air lanterns but, does anyone know what time they are scheduled to be released

Thank you.

Cheers

Most probably when it's dark (what time exactly ?), but the official ceremony starts around 5 pm. Better be there EARLY, because it is very very crowded, lots of cars and nearly impossible to access the center if you arrive too later. Also better go there by bike. I'll be there !!!

:o

Thank you.

Cheers

Most probably when it's dark (what time exactly ?), but the official ceremony starts around 5 pm. Better be there EARLY, because it is very very crowded, lots of cars and nearly impossible to access the center if you arrive too later. Also better go there by bike. I'll be there !!!

:o

if you arrive too later
-----. sorry, if you arrive too late...

I went last year - I recommend going late! The process is quite long and boring (for those who are not fluent in Thai nor want to listen to a monk preach/chant several hours). While there were certainly a lot of people there on time, MANY more came just in time for the launching of the Khom Loys which was at around 9:00 last year.

Nevertheless, it was one of the most memorable events that I have ever attended and recommend going...fashionable late :o

Edit: I also recommend a bike as it was tough to find parking for a vehicle. It also took ages to leave afterwards

Edited by earlofwindermere

Thank you.

Cheers

See attached. According to the newspaper, releasing the balloons has been restricted to 9:30 pm because of them getting into flight paths. The ceremonies start at 7:30 and, as earlofwindermere stated, will be a long ritual before that actual lighting and releasing of the balloons. There is also the kratong release, which I would think would happen first. You will also notice there is other entertainment.

There will be plenty of photo ops and anyone with a digital should just snap away until their memory card is full.

Arrival time should probably be set by whether or not you want to park in the designated areas or park somewhere else and get shuttled in, ride a bike, or walk.

Brochure_1.pdf

prior to the release of these 40 million hot-air lanterns but, does anyone know what time they are scheduled to be released

Thank you.

Cheers

40 millions hot-air lanterns..I think these will cover the whole of Chiangmai sky..you got the figure right.. :o

prior to the release of these 40 million hot-air lanterns but, does anyone know what time they are scheduled to be released

Thank you.

Cheers

40 millions hot-air lanterns..I think these will cover the whole of Chiangmai sky..you got the figure right.. :o

Try 41 million - now that's a blast of hot air !

Thank you.

Cheers

See attached. According to the newspaper, releasing the balloons has been restricted to 9:30 pm because of them getting into flight paths. The ceremonies start at 7:30 and, as earlofwindermere stated, will be a long ritual before that actual lighting and releasing of the balloons. There is also the kratong release, which I would think would happen first. You will also notice there is other entertainment.

There will be plenty of photo ops and anyone with a digital should just snap away until their memory card is full.

Arrival time should probably be set by whether or not you want to park in the designated areas or park somewhere else and get shuttled in, ride a bike, or walk.

Hi Noise,

Thank you for the very informative attachment. I called one of the telephone numbers and understand (?) that the release of the lanterns should take place from about 7.00pm ( 7 to 8p.m. ??).

That's the best I can come up with - if this info is wrong please don't shoot the messenger.

If anyone can get more specific info. kindly share it.

Cheers

I called one of the telephone numbers and understand (?) that the release of the lanterns should take place from about 7.00pm ( 7 to 8p.m. ??).

I've just read an article in the today's CM Mail, saying that the release of the lanterns would not be allowed before 9.30 pm (+ size of the lantern), in order not to perturb the air traffic. I don't know if the organizers in Mae Jo will follow this "recommendations" ?

Well, better check again I think. :o

I called one of the telephone numbers and understand (?) that the release of the lanterns should take place from about 7.00pm ( 7 to 8p.m. ??).

I've just read an article in the today's CM Mail, saying that the release of the lanterns would not be allowed before 9.30 pm (+ size of the lantern), in order not to perturb the air traffic. I don't know if the organizers in Mae Jo will follow this "recommendations" ?

Anybody know what time they did release the lanterns eventually

Anybody know what time they did release the lanterns eventually

most lanterns were released around 7;45-8pm

Myself and two other groups of friends missed the whole thing because we were under the impression that they would not go before 8pm - some sources had even printed 9pm as the release time. Last year they went at 9. Pretty frustrating. I guess it's always good to err on the side of caution in Thailand.

Myself and two other groups of friends missed the whole thing because we were under the impression that they would not go before 8pm - some sources had even printed 9pm as the release time. Last year they went at 9. Pretty frustrating. I guess it's always good to err on the side of caution in Thailand.

The whole thing was organised differently this year. I suspect they are becoming victims of their own fame with almost as many photographers as participants. My impression was that there were more khom loys last year and that the procession of monks was a sad omission.

413040241_uC7Jq-L.jpg

A guy who works at air traffic control in CM told me that they were expected to observe the 9.30 rule particularly because of the huge(ish) number of balloons but since we didn't see any planes landing short in the Big C car park presumably they managed to avoid them.