Should Thai Immigration Bureau be "re-structured"?

Should thai immigration bureau be "re-structured"?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would vote for BOTH your alternatives.

I consider them to be up to Standard, but

Why have the Police running Immigration?

The below letter in Today's Bangkok Post

Postbag, puts the argument related to other

Police Duties...

Roger

From Bangkok Post's Postbag today:

Limit police duties to law enforcement

It appears that the police in Thailand not only enforce laws and regulations, they also are responsible for granting privileges such as retail business licences of various sorts, operating permits, etc.

If this is indeed the case, what a great power they wield, through no fault of their own.

It seems to me it would be prudent to create new, probably local, government departments responsible for all activities in which the police currently engage which are not enforcement related.

For example, retail business licences, entertainment outlet licences, operating permits, etc, should be applied for at a zoning commission. Parking permits, motorcycle taxi permits, van permits, etc, should be applied for with a transport commission.

Each commission would operate under regulations, approved by law, which clearly define the criteria for approving applications.

The police could then return to their normal function: enforcing laws and regulations as legislated by representatives of the people they serve.

Bruce Janis

In the past few months, I have tried to read everything I could about changes that PM Taksin has been involved in.

As an American, I am dumbfounded by all those (Thai and farang) that do not think his changes are for the better of the Thai people.

I believe that he is the first person in a very long time that has had the courage and power to get necessary changes to fruition.  

We ALL know that there are many areas that need improvement and I believe that he will, in time, make Thailand a better place to live and visit.

There can be no higher priority that state security.  Whatever shakeups are necessary to assure that Thailand is safe from terrorism, mafias, corruptables is surely of the highest importance.

I also would like to see Thailand beaches become filled with family tourists, both Thai and farang.  I'd like for all the beaches to become clean and clear.  

I'd like to see Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya become cities with smogfree clean air to breathe.  I think the skytrain and subway is a good start and perhaps the next step is making all vehicles that roam the streets be inspected for emissions.

I have lived in Thailand in 1971-1972 and again briefly in 1995-1996 and have visited Thailand many times inbetween.  Of the 39 countries I've lived in or worked in or visited, I have always enjoyed Thailand the most.  I look forward to visiting at least once a year with my Thai wife for many years to come.

Kenneth and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/

I agree.

The thai bueracracy needs to be corporatised and made accountable.

Thaksin is the man to do it...but can he do it quickly?

The problem is to do this these people need to be paid salaries that match competence.

This means more fees as in the new residency permit charges etc.

I dont think these are onerous given charges made by other desirable countries to live.

Local people cant afford high taxes both direct and indirect as we have in many developed countries.

This means he will need to be creative in how he encourages overseas investment and rewards it in a win win scenario.

What we see here is a new department, we can call it the Immigration Department, which will not be connected to the Royal Thai Police (Ministry of Interior). They have been discussiong this for a while, and I believe that this will be reality at a near point in time. My wild guess is that the Ministry of Foregin Affairs could be the organisation. My 2 Baht.