Age Discrimination?

Hello. I'm a new member and this is a great site. Glad to have found the place!

I live in the US and have a Thai friend in Bangkok. She has a bachelor degree in Business and is fairly good with English (reading, writing and speaking). She has a good character and is a hard worker. Recently, she applied for a teller job at one of the largest banks in Bangkok. The interview went well until she got to one of the managers later in the day who told her she was too old for the job; she's only 29! The excuse that the manager gave her was that her boss might be younger than her. I was a little shocked when I heard about it.

My question is: is this normal in Thailand? That is, can a person be excluded from hiring simply because of age? Is it even legal?

Thanks for any enlightment.

Darthby==>

The excuse he came up with is not right but in my experience not many people like there boss being younger then them. Ive seen older people quit because of it in Australia and im sure its like this in alot of places, but it just depends on the person I guess.

My question is: is this normal in Thailand? That is, can a person be excluded from hiring simply because of age? Is it even legal?

Yes. very normal. Check out the job ads in the Thai newspapers. Often ages are specified.

Yes. In Thailand you can specify an exact requirement for a position.

Eg. "Female 25 yo. M3 education, weight not exeeding 42 kg's, must have good presentation & personel skills. Required to operate forklift in factory & sort animal feed during mandatory OT."

^^^

Advertisements like this are not un-common and AKAIK not breaching any laws.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

I live in the US and have a Thai friend in Bangkok. She has a bachelor degree in Business and is fairly good with English (reading, writing and speaking). She has a good character and is a hard worker. Recently, she applied for a teller job at one of the largest banks in Bangkok. The interview went well until she got to one of the managers later in the day who told her she was too old for the job; she's only 29! The excuse that the manager gave her was that her boss might be younger than her. I was a little shocked when I heard about it.

Darthby==>

Look at the Thai Airways stewardesses and compare them to American or any US Airlines flight attendants and the answer becomes moot.

When i advertise ,i allways ask that they send Photo with Resume , very standard here ,

Age Discrimination ? Well in Australia you can't put Age or Sex, result i waist my time with applicants i don;t want ,much prefer it here

Yep at least there is an element of openness with the thais.

In the UK it is illegal to specify things like sex, age weight, race as requirements for jobs but guess what, does anyone think that in the end these things will be used, yet more smoke and mirrors from a society descending into the mire.

Darthby==>

Our company could use her, and I like older staff that are more mentally mature to begin with. In Thailand you are considered washed out by the time you hit 30. In the US you are considered proficient at age 35. So if you want, tell her to send me a PM. We could use her tallents, we are company that sells medical diagnostic equipment.