Vista Upgrade

Moonfruit

I would like to know whats the best way to upgrade to Ultimate from Home Basic that i got with the new laptop.

When i try to do using the built-in windows software, it tells me that they will send me a 'product' by mail, rather than being able to download what is needed. Does that mean i will have to wait forever for a mail product from Microsoft to arrive?

Is it possible to buy an upgrade CD or whatever it is from a retailer here in Bangkok?If this is possible, can anybody recommend such a retailer??

Thanks in anticipation.

Do you have the original install DVD? All versions of Vista (except Business) come on the same disc, when you pay for the upgrade, you will be assigned a new product key which you can enter and your current version will be upgraded, or you can use the new product key during a complete re-install using your current Vista DVD.

If Vista came preinstalled at the Laptop, maybe you out of luck! In that case you need to first check if there is an Hidden Recvovery Partition on the HDD, if you didn't get the Recovery DVD! But in both case the verison available will be just the one which was preinstalled!

The KEY on the License Sticker is in the real useless for you because you can't use them with an other than form the Laptop Manufacturer installed version and ypoui need to use the program provided with the Laptop. The Manufacturer had modified the Installation DVD/Files and the real License is already setup and Vista is activated by default.

You can NOT upgrade to an higher version from an OEM DVD of Vista, that is possible only with Original Microsoft Vista, all you can do is to do a new, clean install.

Don't forget to svae all your data to an external drive before reinstall because you'll loose all what's installed before.

Cgeers.

Well, I was all excited after reading Norrads response, and then it all went downhill with Reimar!

The Vista i have came pre-installed, and i dont seem to have an OEM install CD, just a bunch of Fujitsu backup/restore CD's.

I guess this means i will have to buy a new full Vista package?? Which i certainly will not do. I will wait until the release of the new windows if that is the case.

Can you not use Windows Anytime Upgrade icon in control panel??/

I tried that, but instead it tells me that the 'Product will be sent by mail". Hence, i dont wanna pay for something that is gonna end up getting to me in 6 months time!

Can you not use Windows Anytime Upgrade icon in control panel??/

I tried that, but instead it tells me that the 'Product will be sent by mail". Hence, i dont wanna pay for something that is gonna end up getting to me in 6 months time!

I'm not convinced that you cannot upgrade your OEM version. I think that you can upgrade to Vista Ultimate.

If you have 'someone' studying in the UK or US, you can get the upgrade for £40.95 or $64.95 respectively.

Moonfruit, I have successfully upgraded from Vista Premium to Ultimate.

My Quick story in the hopes that it may serve you in some way.

I purchased an HP laptop out here in Thailand from HP (1 year ago). I wanted XP Pro "no have Sir" I wanted Vista Ultimate or Business "no have sir" Fine I'll take Vista Premium and hope it works in my work enviroment. (MS SBS 2003 server and Exchange server)

Unfortunately Premium didn't have all the network hooks that I needed to integrate into my work net work so I had to upgrade.

Like you, my machine didn't come with any recovery disks (Just the recovery partition and the Use-onlyonce-burn-your-own-recovery-disk-creator-utility.

I went to the Windows anytime upgrade program and tried to do it and it said effictivly that upgrad disks were not availabel in Thailand. -bugger-

I used the utility again this time saying that I was in the US. It presented me with a choice of severl 3rd party vendors from which to coose whome to purchase my upgrad from and I chose Best Buy. Paid them US$135 for the upgrade and IMPORTANT chose NOT to purchase an upgrad disk for $5.

I had herd/been told that ALL versons of Visat were on the same disk/drive and it was only the key that was needed to unlock those features.

I tried to upgrad with my new Ultimate Key and I kept getting promted to insert my upgrad DVD.

I tried my recovery disks that I created and NO GOOD, they only work for factory reset state and not upgrade.

I had to go back to the Windows anytim upgrade website, navigate to Best Buy, purchase an upgrade DVD ship it to a US address and then have it forwarded out to me here.

AFTER all that had been done, I used the upgrade tool, inserted the upgrade DVD and about 2-4hours later over a dedicated 512 line I had vista ultimate.

don't know if this helps you at all, but this is how I did it.

-Ozy

If you buy an "open" OEM Version, you can NOT upgrade. By open OEM Version I mean that Vista versions you can buy in any store and has even a label for to use and install on an new computer only.

To be able to upgrade you'll need an manufacturer bound version (most using the same codec which is needed) because the installation procedure is checking the Bios of an special code which will allow to run the upgrade, and the upgrade only. there still some files needed form the prior installation which wouldn't be there in case of "clean" installation.

And the 135 $ paid is the difference between your prior version and the Ultimate.

Cheers.

Do you have the original install DVD? All versions of Vista (except Business) come on the same disc, when you pay for the upgrade, you will be assigned a new product key which you can enter and your current version will be upgraded, or you can use the new product key during a complete re-install using your current Vista DVD.

Business is also on the same disk why do you think it aint

If you buy an "open" OEM Version, you can NOT upgrade. By open OEM Version I mean that Vista versions you can buy in any store and has even a label for to use and install on an new computer only.

To be able to upgrade you'll need an manufacturer bound version (most using the same codec which is needed) because the installation procedure is checking the Bios of an special code which will allow to run the upgrade, and the upgrade only. there still some files needed form the prior installation which wouldn't be there in case of "clean" installation.

And the 135 $ paid is the difference between your prior version and the Ultimate.

Cheers.

That's not really what you wrote before:

If Vista came preinstalled at the Laptop, maybe you out of luck! In that case you need to first check if there is an Hidden Recvovery Partition on the HDD, if you didn't get the Recovery DVD! But in both case the verison available will be just the one which was preinstalled!

The KEY on the License Sticker is in the real useless for you because you can't use them with an other than form the Laptop Manufacturer installed version and ypoui need to use the program provided with the Laptop. The Manufacturer had modified the Installation DVD/Files and the real License is already setup and Vista is activated by default.

You can NOT upgrade to an higher version from an OEM DVD of Vista, that is possible only with Original Microsoft Vista, all you can do is to do a new, clean install.

Business is also on the same disk why do you think it aint

Probably means Enterprise.

Cheers.

That's not really what you wrote before:

You're right! But the OP didn't want to pay much money for to "Upgrade" and the normal upgrade didn't work. If yopu buy an OEM Vista CD in an shop somewhere, you can install on an new PC a clean version only. Try to upgrade and it would not work! You can use an Manufacturer OEM version for to upgrade. But that cost you the difference betwenn that version you have installed and the version you like to upgrade too. And you'

ll need to run really an upgrade and not a "clean" "new" installation.

Ok, I had forget to mention that I was mean the "open" OEM version and not the Mnufacturer one!

The legal status is even different. It allows you in the real only the version which came with that Laptop or computer to use once. Multiple installation are against that license. But that is just written law and the reality is different.

Cheers.

Maybe not the legal way to do it but I was in a similar situation and didn't want to spend big bucks on upgrades. I went to Limewire and got it off there, you can actually download Open Office which is free. A few torrent sites will also give you the key to upgrade. Illegal or not not sure. PM me. Good luck.

Edited by Swanky