Returning To The Uk After Working In Asia

I'm a British citizen and i'm planning on going to the far east to be an english teacher.

I have only worked and payed NI in the UK for about 3 years.

In a hypothetical situation where I spent my entire working career as an english tacher in the far east and worked upto a retirement age of 65-70. What would happen to me if I returned to the UK, with no capital? Would I end up in residential care or on a park bench? Perhaps they would make me work? :o

Actually I currently work for the local council , and I am aware that people with capital often receive exactly the same care as people without capital. The only difference being, the huge bill that the people healthy bank balances have to pay.

I'm a British citizen and i'm planning on going to the far east to be an english teacher.

In a hypothetical situation where I spent my entire working career as an english tacher in the far east and worked upto a retirement age of 65-70. What would happen to me if I returned to the UK, with no capital? Would I end up in residential care or on a park bench? Perhaps they would make me work? :o

Actually I currently work for the local council , and I am aware that people with capital often receive exactly the same care as people without capital. The only difference being, the huge bill that the people healthy bank balances have to pay.

Believe to get your pension in the UK you need to have 9 or 10 years "full stamp" paid up, If you are working in Asia, you can continue to pay you stamp evey month you can draw a full pension in the UK, you dont need to be working in the UK to do this. Seeing as you have paid in for 3 years at any point you can "buy back" the required years to get the full pension, if you dont want to pay every month.

If you didnt have a pension or no money, and returned to the UK at 65-70, The UK goverment is obliged to take care of you, this is what happens now, but you dont know what is going to happen in 20,30,40 years from now...

Believe to get your pension in the UK you need to have 9 or 10 years "full stamp" paid up, If you are working in Asia, you can continue to pay you stamp evey month you can draw a full pension in the UK, you dont need to be working in the UK to do this. Seeing as you have paid in for 3 years at any point you can "buy back" the required years to get the full pension, if you dont want to pay every month.

If you didnt have a pension or no money, and returned to the UK at 65-70, The UK goverment is obliged to take care of you, this is what happens now, but you dont know what is going to happen in 20,30,40 years from now...

The qualifying period to get a full UK state pension has recently been reduced from 44years (men) 40years (women) to 30 years. If you are working abroad you can make annual payments to the DWP to cover this.

Edited by sumrit

Hi

I understand the years needed to get a FULL pension have now been reduced and are the same for males&females. I think 30 years contributions are needed to get a full pension now, but your guess is as good as mine with regard to the future.

I suggest you trawl the UK government websites, they are very clear and informative, then work out how you can live in Thailand within the Thai Immigration laws.

With so many immigrants leaving the UK now(ref:todays Telegraph Online), it might be a good idea to retrain in your own country? Just a thought!

Chock Dee

Dave (on a very sunny park-bench in Isaan)

I think it is a mistake to assume that the pension and welfare provisions that are in place now are going to be the same a number of decades down the road.

One of Far East countries - Japan - people in jobs like tourist guides, free-lance teachers and similar, simply decline to pay any pension contributions. They fear, when their tme comes, there will be no money in the pot. Now, 3 workers support 1 retiree, in 30 years, if demography continues the way it is, it will be 2 workets for 3 retirees and worsening.

A foreigner paying tax and pension in Japan can take max of 3 years worth of contributions or up to 25K US$ when leaving for good. If one wants a full JP pension (assuming there is money in 30 years) he must contribute for a minimum of 25 years.

Maybe you should start working in Asia before thinking about returning to the U.K....

Maybe it is not really a concern for the OP right now, but many of us on ThaiVisa are already working for a good number of years here in Thailand. So a good answer to this will be beneficial for many, especially as I am assuming that the social security situation in Thailand will not really improve anytime soon.

Eg, no money from abroad when retired, out you go, however many years you have worked here.