Private Lenders?

Sorry, if this topic is covered elsewhere but a search didn't reveal anything.

Interested in buying a condo in Bangkok while living in Australia but need some finance. Thai girlfriend lives with me in Australia and has no income but owns other Thai properties outright. Australian banks no good. Thai banks not helpful.

Has anyone used private/solicitor finance?

Any suggestions welcome.

You do see ads for private lenders in newspaper here, but I think the chances of getting anything close to a bank interest rate are about nil (the chances of paying vastly more are very good indeed). I have not heard of solicitor loans here, but some may do it.

If you search and scroll through the very many existing posts on Thai banks here you will see that the key is to keep trying .... if no good with this branch then go to the next ... until you find a staff member with the time and willingness to assist and/or bend the rules. I would imagine extreme difficulty though if you are trying to do this from another country - you will need to do the rounds on your next trip here. But if you can show an income stream and some assets then you should (eventually) do OK & get your loan.

Australian banks no good.

Back in 2001. St George told me I could take a loan to buy a property in Thailand.

Without pursuing it, from memory, they said, as they had known me (one home loan paid off within several years, my salary and credit cards all with them) it would not make much of a diference where the property is.

We know banking world can change from day to night within weeks but that's how it was back then.