Aircard For Laptop

Wolfie

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get an air card for a laptop, just wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions? What brands are best, rough costs etc etc.

WiFi isn't really an option for what i want to use it for, i understand that Air Cards use the GPRS network and will be slower than ADSL, thats not really a problem.

Thanks in Advance :o

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get an air card for a laptop, just wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions? What brands are best, rough costs etc etc.

WiFi isn't really an option for what i want to use it for, i understand that Air Cards use the GPRS network and will be slower than ADSL, thats not really a problem.

Thanks in Advance :o

If it were me, I wouldn't spend the money on an air card. If you want a stand alone GPRS modem, the USB Solomon is a good choice. You can use it with a desk top too. If you want to save even more money, an GPRS EDGE capable phone will work just as well as an air card or Solomon modem.

I use a Sierra Wireless 775 Aircard, which handles all the bands in use in Thailand.

GPRS/EDGE on AIS usually nets between 100 and 220 kbps download, so perfectly usable for surfing, e-mail etc.

Even my CCTV system I can access through the aircard with a 2 FPS throughput.

The USB modem has the advantage of being usable on any PC. Around 6000 Baht. The 775 aircard can be had for the same price if you look for it, it is end of line as the rest of the world moved on to 3G (apart from Thailand :o )

Great thanks for the advice... my GF wants a GPRS based solution for her online trading, so it will need a steady connection (not necessarily a fat 'pipe' - just something fairly steady) - would a aircard/GPRS modem suffice?

Thanks again

• 2 years later...