Don's

stuandchris

I LOVE pickled onions but the last 2 jars I bought were inedible - they were soft and soggy - so I'd given up.

Yes, for years I have been buying the picked onions (large) and pickled sliced beetroot (red). But this year I've found the pickled onions soft/slimey and the beets a bit off colour. So I stopped buying about 6 months ago. Is it safe to buy again ???

I LOVE pickled onions but the last 2 jars I bought were inedible - they were soft and soggy - so I'd given up.

Yes, for years I have been buying the picked onions (large) and pickled sliced beetroot (red). But this year I've found the pickled onions soft/slimey and the beets a bit off colour. So I stopped buying about 6 months ago. Is it safe to buy again ???

I bought pickled beetroot about a month ago and that was O.K., if too hard (i.e. not cooked enough) but edible.

Jitagon, since when does have bread have flavour? :o I always thought its what you put on the bread that gives it flavour!?

So what's the point of making all those farmhouse/baguettes/sourdough/wheatgerm/ciabatta/foccacia ... oh Christ, why am I bothering. You're an idiot.

Hope you're still checking this thread out Don.

Is it safe to try again?

Find a large airtight jar - an old jamjar or an old pickled onion jar.

Go buy some of those local shallots at your greengrocers. Peel the shallots but leave whole and tip into the jar. Squeeze as many in as possible.

Chuck some black peppercorns, a couple of little chillis in the jar. Top up with malt vinegar. (Or omit peppercorns, chillis and add pickling vinegar if you can find it - Tops in Central has some.)

Close jar tightly and put in a dark cupboard or drawer (preferably lower down so it doesn't get too warm) and leave for 3 or 4 months.

Once opened, refrigerate and use as you'd usually do.

I've got some, should be ready for Christmas cold meats and pickles. Hey I'd invite you all round but I don't think I've got enough of them. :o

Is it safe to try again?

Go buy some of those local shallots at your greengrocers. Peel the shallots but leave whole and tip into the jar. Squeeze as many in as possible.

Chuck some black peppercorns, a couple of little chillis in the jar. Top up with malt vinegar. (Or omit peppercorns, chillis and add pickling vinegar if you can find it - Tops in Central has some.)

Close jar tightly and put in a dark cupboard or drawer (preferably lower down so it doesn't get too warm) and leave for 3 or 4 months.

I've got some, should be ready for Christmas cold meats and pickles. Hey I'd invite you all round but I don't think I've got enough of them. :o

I think you will find that the secret of 'crisp' pickles is to 'salt 'them for 24 hours before adding the vinegar.....prepare the onions...cover with salt...rinse after 24 hours. This 'salting 'draws moisture from the onion which helps to keep the texture......soft pickles can also be due to being old and out of date.

I think you will find that the secret of 'crisp' pickles is to 'salt 'them for 24 hours before adding the vinegar.....prepare the onions...cover with salt...rinse after 24 hours. This 'salting 'draws moisture from the onion which helps to keep the texture......soft pickles can also be due to being old and out of date.

I've tried both ways - salting first as you recommend (and all the foodie books tell you to do this) and I've tried without salting, and I haven't found any difference in taste/crispiness. Anyway I shall let you know on Boxing Day if they are OK. I've done some red cabbage too as Mr CC likes this - though if you spill any, you're in real deep doo-doo as the stains never come out.

Jitagon, since when does have bread have flavour? :o I always thought its what you put on the bread that gives it flavour!?

.....and there speaks a true expert...dont know why he wanted to post his comment when he obviously knows sod all about the subject. Salt is a very nessesary ingredient in bread making,it assists the yeast to rise and enhances the flavour of the flour.No salt will produce a bread that is probably 'proved' with chemical rising agents and gives a very light texture.A good loaf of bread is a meal unto itsself,,,a slab of salted butter and a hunk of 'Mainland" vintage cheese.........

Wrong; when preparing the dough for breads etc. the last ingredients should be the salt. Salt makes it difficult for the yeast to grow. It could even stop the process for the yeast to grow.

Gerd

Is it safe to try again?

Thanks Gennisis and Chickencurry, I can't stand cooking but even I should be able to manage that without making a complete hash of it! I'll give it a try!