Barack Obama Elected President Of USA

george

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy with this outcome, but this man has got a long, hard road ahead of him. Things are really in a terrible mess and it's going to take a long time to dig out of it.

I think the Republicans still have enough seats in the Senate to filibuster (block) Obama every which way. For that reason I sincerely hope he is successful in his stated intent to reach out to them to get their co-operation.

Although I am not arguing the point that Obama will probably be the next US president but just let it be known that he really won't be elected until December the 15th.....

this time the GOP has no chance to cheat!

Hmmmmm Let's see, since there are 'x' amount of days until 12/15/08 wouldn't you think there is always a chance to cheat? Hmmmmmmm :o

I am very happy with this outcome, but this man has got a long, hard road ahead of him. Things are really in a terrible mess and it's going to take a long time to dig out of it.

I think the Republicans still have enough seats in the Senate to filibuster (block) Obama every which way. For that reason I sincerely hope he is successful in his stated intent to reach out to them to get their co-operation.

When is the last time you ever saw a politician reach out to the other side without a selfish alterior motive?

Just a state of fact

Most of Obama's money came from the over 3 million people who gave 200 dollars or less.

So, correct me if I am wrong:

US - Poor citizen donate 200 Dollar to the would-be-president so that he can represent them.

TH - Would-be-PM hand out 200 Baht to the poor citizen so that they can can represent him.

In that case, I would rather be in TH than US. So that I can save my $200 and still receive by B200.

Calm your euphoria gentlemen.

The complexion of the US President has obviously changed, but in all other respects it will be "business as usual" – only the recipients of the new Governments' largesse will be different.

Bush was obligated to "big Oil" and the Financial Services Industries (or as we call it after the recent bail-out "Capitalism without risk") for his election, just as Obama now has to demonstrate his thanks to the Industries who financed his.

The hundreds of millions of dollars "donated" to the Obama campaign had strings attached – strings which will become obvious in the months to come.

Patrick

Exactly. Only the names have changed... The game stays the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a state of fact

Most of Obama's money came from the over 3 million people who gave 200 dollars or less.

Hardly is he bought and owned by the Oil companies or any other companies.

President elect Obama is Not the same old game.

Barry is the same old game... He has to answer to his daddy - the Democratic party. Despite where you think all his money came from. Things are not always what they seem or what the liberal media tells you.

LOL You think MLK's true dream became true tonight? Not even close. Race played an issue tonight as well... just in another direction. Race will continue to play heavily in an Obama administration. REALLY? :o You think people didin't vote for McCain because he was white? (cue hank williams jr singing McCain/Palin tradition here wearing a 96 on his jersey that looks just like a swastika)

Change is good. But most of the change you will see from Barry will be for the worse.YOU HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL? ARE YOU SOME KIND OF WIZARD? :D :D You think having both the Legislative and Executive branches controlled by a single party will be a good one? My dog is a better choice than what we were presented. The only part that made McCain clearly better was that the branches would be under different control.

You are also nuts if you think there is much core difference between the democrats or the republicans. I NEVER SAID THAT, DO YOU SEE DEAD PEOPLE TOO? Their two party lockup AND NO TWO PARTY SYSTEM UNDER MCCAIN? A DICTATOR IS BETTER I SUPPOSE :D of the system wrote off the ability for positive change years ago. Greed and corruption in the US is not much different than what I read about in Thailand except that the collective we (US) learned how to hide it better.

I venture to say your dillusions of wizardry are not so grand.

PM confident of solid Thai-US relationship

The Prime Minister believed bilateral relationship between Thailand and the US would continue following Mr. Barack Obama being elected as the new US president.

Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Mr. Somchai Wongsawat (สมชาย วงศ์สวัสดิ์) spoeaking about the US presidential election which Mr. Obama, the African-American Democrat party candidate was elected the 44th president that the US election had no effects on Thailand since the two nations' relationship would continue going on as usual.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 05 November 2008

The Prime Minister believed bilateral relationship between Thailand and the US would continue following Mr. Barack Obama being elected as the new US president.

What are the odds the current Thai PM will even be in power by January 20, 2009, Obama's inauguration day. He has more in common with Bush than Obama, both short timers.

Obama's Asian Connection

Alot of people know that Obama spent some years as a boy in school in Indonesia but not so many know his half sister is half Indonesian/half white and married to a Chinese Canadian. Add that to Obama's Irish ancestors and his obvious Kenyan connection and you have to figure this guy is going to travel more than Pope John Paul. No, I am not saying he is like a Pope, but I am saying ...

Edited by Jingthing

The use of the term "black" to refer to non-whites is a "politically correct" device employed in the UK. I can't speak for the US.

Rubbish. Never heard of someone with Asian heritage being called black. I guess you haven't seen a census form or passport application in a long time. There are around 20 options when it comes to signalling your ethnicity.

Anyway, I too am glad this soap opera has ended. Although, I can't be the only one who will miss Bush. That guy was the funniest English-speaking leader I have ever come across. I loved the idea of the world's most prominent nation being governed by a cretin.

Fool me once... won't get fooled again!

When is the last time you ever saw a politician reach out to the other side without a selfish alterior motive?

Substance speaks. Can you give an example of a selfish "alterior" motive and who it was that did the reaching, and throw in from which side he/she reached from to where the reaching was directed? This could be a stretch. :o

Hallelujah!

Americans can now walk strong and proud again at home and abroad and maybe we won't always have to carry a big gun. We're doing a makeover, please be patient. When Martin Luther King had a dream he was dreaming of President Barack Hussein Obama. Yes, he will stumble in the future like any man, but let us savor this historic moment of hope and old fashioned corny American optimism. You are fooling yourself if you think this is just another election. This is the election of a generation or maybe two or three. Our esteemed General Colin Powell, a republican, put it best: his will be a TRANSFORMATIVE presidency.

Are you aware Obama opposes gay marriage?

Congratulations to Barack Obama. Race shouldn't be an issue but clearly it is and cannot be ignored. Obama is the first black (or mixed race if you prefer that label) President of the USA. It's strange, because Hollywood have been portraying black Presidents for sometime now and, certainly on celluloid and TV, it is perefectly acceptable to have black or female President. The population isn't made up of white males as past Presidents seems to suggest. I would have thought the voting public would have been used to the idea. I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now too be honest.

Hopefully Obama will be judged on his ability as a President to guide the USA through some turbulent times ahead. He could, potentially, be one of the greats.

Commiserations to John McCain too and the Republican Party. I feel he was the right candidate at the wrong time.

To quote Obama:"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer,"

But what I do enjoy is the thought of tens/hundreds of thousands of ignorants seething because they think that their new president is an Arabic Muslim Terrorist.

For the millionth time, Obama IS NOT MUSLIM!

:o

From your wink I guess that you see the point I am making.

Although of course the correct response SHOULD be: So what if he is a Muslim?

You'd think there was something wrong with it the way the Obama campaign was putting up a fight against the notion.

Regarding the American use of the term black. It is an acceptable and perfectly non-offensive way of describing people with enough African ancestry to be evident by typical African racial characteristics (not only skin color). The term African-American is more recent and is the more politically correct term, but again it is not offensive to use black. The word negro is not a mainstream word anymore and is generally considered offensive. A huge portion of American blacks are not 100 percent black. Lots of reasons for this, a lot going back to hanky panky by slave owners in the slavery era. In our culture, if a person has African appearance of any noticeable degree they will usually be self identified and culturally identified as a black person. Obviously, with people who are very ambiguous, they can choose themselves how to self identify. Maybe this is racist, a little bit of black blood makes you a black person, I don't know, just describing the culture as I know it.

BTW, I know we have some American "brothers" who post here, if i got this wrong. let us know.

Yes, race was a factor in this election. In a great way. Millions of non-black people who do have some racist feelings were able to get past that and vote for the man who they thought would be best for the country. This is progress. And sure over 90 percent of black Americans voted for Obama. Consider that 90 percent of black Americans vote for the democratic party presidential candidate most every time anyway. Its a big time extra bonus to be able to vote to realize the dream of Martin Luther King ...

Edited by Jingthing

LOL You think MLK's true dream became true tonight? Not even close. Race played an issue tonight as well... just in another direction. Race will continue to play heavily in an Obama administration. REALLY? :o You think people didin't vote for McCain because he was white? (cue hank williams jr singing McCain/Palin tradition here wearing a 96 on his jersey that looks just like a swastika)

Change is good. But most of the change you will see from Barry will be for the worse.YOU HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL? ARE YOU SOME KIND OF WIZARD? :D:D You think having both the Legislative and Executive branches controlled by a single party will be a good one? My dog is a better choice than what we were presented. The only part that made McCain clearly better was that the branches would be under different control.

You are also nuts if you think there is much core difference between the democrats or the republicans. I NEVER SAID THAT, DO YOU SEE DEAD PEOPLE TOO? Their two party lockup AND NO TWO PARTY SYSTEM UNDER MCCAIN? A DICTATOR IS BETTER I SUPPOSE :D of the system wrote off the ability for positive change years ago. Greed and corruption in the US is not much different than what I read about in Thailand except that the collective we (US) learned how to hide it better.

I venture to say your dillusions of wizardry are not so grand.

Never claimed to be grand...

I venture to say you have blue sunglasses blinding you to the US political system... or anyone's politics for that matter. But specific to the US, it is obvious to anyone that the two party system locks out the true desire of the majority of normal Americans. We end up voting for the lesser of two eveils, not what is good for the country.

You seem to think that I am partial for McCain. While I might have thought he was the lesser of two disasters in the making, he certainly is not the best for the country. Not even close. The parties choose who is the best for the country... We are just here to enforce their ego.

Congratulations to Obama and this is truly a great day. Change is coming, I can already feel it in the breeze.

Good luck to President Obama!!! Yes, there are steep hills to climb, but at least, we can set our targets high, hold our heads up high and be proud to be American again.

I am a Brit, and this is great news for the whole world. we have suffered a Jerk for 8 years and I for one am very happy he is now gone.

Good Luck Obama...... I think you will need it to sort out the mess Bush left behind.

and well done to the US for choosing the right one this time. My thoughts on Americans have just got much better.

this is great news, it really is.

Now if we could just get England to get rid of a lot of its dead weight the world would be a much better place.

The parties choose who is the best for the country... We are just here to enforce their ego.

At least in the USA people vote for the man/woman running for President. I'm not sure how it works in countries with parliaments but, don't you vote for the party and the party that wins the most seats chooses who the leader/PM will be? Or something like that?

I for one wish Obama well but history has proved good people who would like to help the less fortunate do not last long,remember john and robert kennedy.

Dark forces and greedy vicious people control this world,as an example druglords,people and children traffickers,religous extremists,and close to home the armaments industry,pentagon and not to forget the oil industry,i could go on but you get the drift.

Hallelujah!

Americans can now walk strong and proud again at home and abroad and maybe we won't always have to carry a big gun. We're doing a makeover, please be patient. When Martin Luther King had a dream he was dreaming of President Barack Hussein Obama. Yes, he will stumble in the future like any man, but let us savor this historic moment of hope and old fashioned corny American optimism. You are fooling yourself if you think this is just another election. This is the election of a generation or maybe two or three. Our esteemed General Colin Powell, a republican, put it best: his will be a TRANSFORMATIVE presidency.

Why redefine marriage? Obama is pro legal unions. Isn't marriage a legal union? Does a woman need to be called a husband? Should we redefine husband, or wife for that matter? If two guys adopt, does one guy need to be called "mom"? Legal union defines one as "family" that's what matters. Being family opens the doors to all kinds of legal issues that are within the same realm as marriage. Legalize same sex marriage or not, a legal union is blanket coverage of the same bed they make. :o

The parties choose who is the best for the country... We are just here to enforce their ego.

At least in the USA people vote for the man/woman running for President. I'm not sure how it works in countries with parliaments but, don't you vote for the party and the party that wins the most seats chooses who the leader/PM will be? Or something like that?

We get to elect from the chosen children of the parties. As the system exists, real people will never be elected to a major office.

Maybe America can become a decent place again with our new President elect.

McCain is/was as much as a lowlife degenerate as Bush is/was

I'm thinking about going out tonight and having some BBQ Chicken :o

And this is why democracy will fail.

There is a reason republicans from the neo-conservative camp was so upset McCain got the nomination. That Bush's campaign targeted McCain so hard during the primaries 2000. They really don't like the 'Maverick' as they seem his as working together with the democrats too much. To claim that he is close to Bush is doing the election process a dis-service.

But unfortunately, after 8 years with Bush it would hardly matter with of the candidates that would have won the primaries, they would lose against most democratic candidates...

Yes. But he also alluded to gay equality in the first sentence of his victory speech tonight. I am sure that was first time a president elect has done that ever in history. We are in seriously dangerous times. The US and the world. These culture war issues that the right wing likes to use to inspire divisions are back burner now. You can't reject a leader because you don't agree with them 100 percent on every issue.

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe America can become a decent place again with our new President elect.

McCain is/was as much as a lowlife degenerate as Bush is/was

I'm thinking about going out tonight and having some BBQ Chicken :o

And this is why democracy will fail.

There is a reason republicans from the neo-conservative camp was so upset McCain got the nomination. That Bush's campaign targeted McCain so hard during the primaries 2000. They really don't like the 'Maverick' as they seem his as working together with the democrats too much. To claim that he is close to Bush is doing the election process a dis-service.

But unfortunately, after 8 years with Bush it would hardly matter with of the candidates that would have won the primaries, they would lose against most democratic candidates...

Very true.

I for one wish Obama well but history has proved good people who would like to help the less fortunate do not last long,remember john and robert kennedy.

Dark forces and greedy vicious people control this world,as an example druglords,people and children traffickers,religous extremists,and close to home the armaments industry,pentagon and not to forget the oil industry,i could go on but you get the drift.

this one makes me also to be scared a bit. Since history is always repeating itself also, just on an another level, other circumstances. So we shall hope that we don't get another kennedy show down. I not want to imagine what would happen in the states. Do you?