Barack Obama Elected President Of USA

george

(To lighten things up for just one posting :o )

Maybe in the over 500 postings in this thread somebody already posted these song lyrics, but they are timely now so at risk of duplication:

"Only in America" By Jay and the Americans

Only in America

Can a guy from anywhere

Go to sleep a pauper and wake up a millionaire

Only in America

Can a kid without a cent

Get a break and maybe grow up to be President

Only in America

Land of opportunity, yeah

Would a classy girl like you fall for a poor boy like me

Only in America

[ Jay Lyrics are found on www.songlyrics.com ]

Can a kid who's washin' cars

Take a giant step and reach right up and touch the stars

Only in America

Could a dream like this come true

Could a guy like me start with nothing and end up with you

------ instrumental break ------

Only in America

Land of opportunity, yeah

Would a classy girl like you fall for a poor boy like me

Only in America (poor boy like me)

Only in America (only in America)

Only in America

Cool song, one of my favorites.

Ok Guys, go back at it!

Edited by Lopburi99

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I take an obsessive interest in facts, especially when people go to extraordinary means to avoid them.

- Fact: Hussein is Obama's middle name.

- Fact: The origin of the name Hussein is Arabic.

- Fact: Obama's father was a Muslim.

- Fact: In Arab-Muslim culture, the passing of the father's name to the son is also the passing of religious denomination.

- Fact: Barack Hussein Obama was born a Muslim. His mother was a known atheist and his father a known Muslim.

While one is considered a jew by birth if a mom is, you are correct iirc that one is considered muslim if ones father is.

Which gave me a troublesome thought. I would have hoped that the election of Obama would lead, might still, to better relationship with some middle-eastern nations. Perhaps they would be happy, as many of us are, that Bus would be gone and more open to constructive talks.

However, there is one very strong point that is crucial in regards to for example Iran. Altering religion from Muslim, in Obamas case he is a newly born Christian (since 1987 iirc), carries the penalty of death according to the Koran.

So if 'they' find out, he won't be seen with nice eyes anyway.

ummmm can you please cite a credible source for him being a 'newly born Christian'? I'll do the research on the Q'uran when I have the time :o

I'm at work, so I'll go sloppy and give you the wiki and you can read from the page itself as the sources are linked there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#...d_personal_life

Obama is a Christian whose religious views have evolved in his adult life. In The Audacity of Hope, Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents (whom Obama has specified elsewhere as "non-practicing Methodists and Baptists") to be detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his father as "raised a Muslim", but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful." In the book, Obama explains how, through working with black churches as a community organizer while in his twenties, he came to understand "the power of the African-American religious tradition to spur social change."[188][189] He was baptized at Trinity United Church of Christ in 1988.[190][191]

1988, so I was one year off.

No ... you were his entire life off ...

He doesn't describe himself as 'born again' or new born anywhere ...

What it says there is that he joined a specific church in 1988. It even suggests that he did so 'to spur social change'.

QWiki to the rescue ......

Congratulations President Elect Barrak Obama.

At last a thoughtful man in the job!!

This in and of itself IS CHANGE.

One with history on THREE continents.

The Africa of his Father, The Asia of his youth, and the America of his adulthood.

This is a man with a WORLD view, not a parochial viewpoint.

A man who gives HOPE to those in the world long troubled by the Bush re-election

and what it was perceived, often erroneously, about the American people.

Bush and crew have cause any probably near term rise in taxes,

a legacy to bear and deal with. What put new taxes on the table to deal with

will be the unbelievable stupidities of the last 8 years.

Mismanagement on a stupendous level, based on dogma and not forethought..

Lies and balderdash.

An awful day you say... I truly feel sorry for you.

Heck, even Peirrot and I agree on this one.

A seas change in perception both in and outside of the country.

This will affect Thailand :

Because of HOW the financial crisis is dealt with.

Because sweatshops will be harder to run.

They will have a negociating partner who actually listens at all.

Because America will act more multi-laterally,

since world leaders will have someone they can communicate with.

I would have voted for McCain over Bush any day,

but these year he was too old and just over matched.

A new day has dawned.

Miraculous? No, but clearly revolutionary. :o

WELL DONE- USA HAS MADE " MERRIT" BY ELECTING A BLACK MAN TO LEAD THE FREE WORLD. THIS AFTER THE HORRIBLE PERIOD OF SLAVERY.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

IT IS A NEW MORNING. THE HORRIBLE NEOCON WINTER IS FINALLY BROKEN................. LOOK TO THE YOUTH............THE FUTURE.............TEACH YOUR CHILDREN WELL.

The U.S. has a history of having some its most innovative leaders shot - at the height of their prowess.

I truly hope Obama stays alive - though it's somewhat comforting to know a good man like Biden will get put in the drivers seat if such a tragedy were to happen.

Mrs. Obama will be like the fairy tale queen, and their two lovely daughters will be as close as the U.S. gets to princesses - and that should fun to watch also.

CONGRATS TO THE OBAMAS!!!!

Did you see all the bullet-proof glass at his victory speech?

Well, I just hope Barack can stay safe... so we can see the results of his presidency. He seems like a very smart guy and he has played the game well. I hope his heart is in the right place... that's all I can do is hope, because America really doesn't know this man very well yet. He certainly has high potential if directed in America's interests.

As for his wife... fairytale queen she is NOT!! She is a racist bitter black woman who harbors imagined "oppression", despite her and her husband's success... perhaps a product of that lovely "church" they attended for 20 years.

Michelle-the-Racist, who thinks that all "whites" are racists out to shoot random black people on their way to the gas station :

(Hilarity alert: watch Barack's reaction when she opens her big fat racist mouth, as if he is thinking "PLEASE shut the F#$k up, biatch!!!")

Michelle Railing against America

Michelle Obama, wive of a state Senator and the beneficiary/recipient of Affirmative Action (because her scores indeed weren't high enough!!), feels she has been oppressed her entire life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEmHFRPKMTo

And of course, we've all seen the clip of how she was just proud of America for the first time in her adult life. Sorry, but his wife couldn't be more loathsome. :o How embarrassing that she will be the "First Lady".... more like "First Biatch".

But good luck to Barack, I hope he does America good, despite his loathsome racist wife.

Michelle Obama is a very compelling professional woman and she clearly will make an inspiring and glamorous first lady. Assuming Obama gets his needed two terms which is something I would bet money on, please do not be overly shocked if Michelle Obama becomes the "new Hillary" in 2016. Many people of all nationalities fully understand what Michelle meant about how the ascendancy of her husband makes us prouder than ever to be Americans. There are always the left behinds who don't get it, but as many have already said, what we just witnessed in America was a revolution without war or bloodshed or coups. Now that may be Thai related.

Edited by Jingthing

The U.S. has a history of having some its most innovative leaders shot - at the height of their prowess.

I truly hope Obama stays alive - though it's somewhat comforting to know a good man like Biden will get put in the drivers seat if such a tragedy were to happen.

Mrs. Obama will be like the fairy tale queen, and their two lovely daughters will be as close as the U.S. gets to princesses - and that should fun to watch also.

CONGRATS TO THE OBAMAS!!!!

Did you see all the bullet-proof glass at his victory speech?

Well, I just hope Barack can stay safe... so we can see the results of his presidency. He seems like a very smart guy and he has played the game well. I hope his heart is in the right place... that's all I can do is hope, because America really doesn't know this man very well yet. He certainly has high potential if directed in America's interests.

As for his wife... fairytale queen she is NOT!! She is a racist bitter black woman who harbors imagined "oppression", despite her and her husband's success... perhaps a product of that lovely "church" they attended for 20 years.

Michelle-the-Racist, who thinks that all "whites" are racists out to shoot random black people on their way to the gas station :

(Hilarity alert: watch Barack's reaction when she opens her big fat racist mouth, as if he is thinking "PLEASE shut the F#$k up, biatch!!!")

Michelle Obama, wive of a state Senator and the beneficiary/recipient of Affirmative Action (because her scores indeed weren't high enough!!), feels she has been oppressed her entire life:

And of course, we've all seen the clip of how she was just proud of America for the first time in her adult life. Sorry, but his wife couldn't be more loathsome. :o How embarrassing that she will be the "First Lady".... more like "First Biatch".

But good luck to Barack, I hope he does America good, despite his loathsome racist wife.

I am not going to be quite as judgmental in assigning an overall opinion of her thinking based on her comments and actions so far, but I do agree with the tenor of your post. I voted for Obama, and I trust him to try and do right for the country, but I do not feel comfortable with Michelle Obama.  I don't think she is a very good example of the kind of woman we want as First Lady, but I hope I am wrong about that.

Michelle Obama is a very compelling professional woman and she clearly will make an inspiring and glamorous first lady.

:o

Did you watch those vids, mate?

A Hillary she'll never be.

She's generated so much dirt, and she isn't even in the White House yet.

And of course, we've all seen the clip of how she was just proud of America for the first time in her adult life. Sorry, but his wife couldn't be more loathsome. :D How embarrassing that she will be the "First Lady".... more like "First Biatch".

I watched all three of the youtube videos you put up and see nothing racist or even controversial about any of them. Michelle Obama strikes me as a very intelligent and capable woman. Somehow I get the feeling that you also hate Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Cindy McCain and would hate Joe Biden's wife too if you knew anything about her. To use the term "Loathsome Biatch" to describe such an bright and confident woman betrays a prejudice against all educated and empowered women. My best guess is that she will be admired by millions but detested by the same group of bigots who also hate the likes of Hillary Clinton and any other outspoken woman, not so much for their politics or social views but simply because they don't fit the mold of what a woman should be in their minds. Would you prefer they stay at home and bake cookies? :o

Edited by Groongthep

Michelle Obama is a very compelling professional woman and she clearly will make an inspiring and glamorous first lady.

Why bother watching videos that were part of the smear campaign during the election? The campaign is over. I have seen the "proud to be American" speech and I had no problem with it, I understood what she means. The people will judge her well or poorly based on her actions in the white house. I bet you even you will be pleased with how she turns out. I have to admit it feels weird being an advocate of the people who are in power now, its been a very long time!

BTW, I love your sauces.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I was posting this in General in response to a comment Jingthing made and the topic got closed...

However, it is still a landmark event for African Americans. Anyone who knows about the history of slavery and racism in America and the long hard struggle for civil rights, the speeches of MLK, would understand that.

This is entirely true. I can fully understand the view that people should (theoretically) be looking beyond Obama's colour, that it indeed should be an irrelevance. But the fact is, it just isn't in the historical and social context of America. Witness the scenes of weeping (Jesse Jackson among them - ironic after he had stated that Obama "wasn't black enough") and joy in the streets from black Americans and it's not hard to conclude, quite rightly in my view, that this is obviously an event of unprecedented racial significance. One academic commentator, on BBC news yesterday, went as far as to say that the election of Obama negates America's "original sin," and may well allow the country to finally fulfill its potential as enshrined in the constitution. Hysteria? I don't know, but the election of Obama can only be seen as a hugely positive step forward. Whether Obama is successful as a president is another matter entirely. Sheer weight of expectation combined with the insane mess he's about to inherit would suggest he's in for a very tough ride.

And of course, we've all seen the clip of how she was just proud of America for the first time in her adult life. Sorry, but his wife couldn't be more loathsome. :D How embarrassing that she will be the "First Lady".... more like "First Biatch".

I watched all three of the youtube videos you put up and see nothing racist or even controversial about any of them. Michelle Obama strikes me as a very intelligent and capable woman. Somehow I get the feeling that you also hate Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Cindy McCain and would hate Joe Biden's wife too if you knew anything about her. To use the term "Loathsome Biatch" to describe such an bright and confident woman betrays a prejudice against all educated and empowered women. My best guess is that she will be admired by millions but detested by the same group of bigots who also hate the likes of Hillary Clinton and any other outspoken woman, not so much for their politics or social views but simply because they don't fit the mold of what a woman should be in their minds. Would you prefer they stay at home and bake cookies? :o

:D

You clearly have no sense of irony.

I happen to like and respect Hillary, as evidenced by my statement that Michelle is no Hillary.

I like and respect Palin as well, but I do not agree with her religious zealousness. At least she has not shown herself to be a racist.

Quite ironic you should call me a bigot, when the rest of your post is just dishonest slippery-slope nonsense, falsehoods, and conjecture, designed to paint me a something I am not, simply because I disagree with your rosy idealistic view of Michelle Obama.

hmmmm you really are kinda clueless .... the people have rejected your specious arguments. mate

hmmmm you really are kinda clueless .... the people have rejected your specious arguments. mate

classic

Why bother watching videos that were part of the smear campaign during the election? The campaign is over. I have seen the "proud to be American" speech and I had no problem with it, I understood what she means. The people will judge her well or poorly based on her actions in the white house. I bet you even you will be pleased with how she turns out. I have to admit it feels weird being an advocate of the people who are in power now, its been a very long time!

BTW, I love your sauces.

I've seen enough of Michelle to get the strong impression that she has a chip on her shoulder. I know many others in and outside America have gathered the same impression.

I hope for America's sake that you are right, and she can/will turn around her image.

(and thanks...glad you like our sauces :D )

BTW, I love your sauces.

I've seen enough of Michelle to get the strong impression that she has a chip on her shoulder. I know many others in and outside America have gathered the same impression.

I hope for America's sake that you are right, and she can/will turn around her image.

Do you think the same wasn't said about Hilary? FemiNazis etc .....

to quote the clueless

'classic'

Interesting report on FOX news a few minutes ago:

1-199.jpg

According to national exit polls, a majority of Americans making over $200,000 per year voted for Obama.

Exit polls aren't based on actual data of course but still a startling graphic, particularly considering FOX apparently believes it.

Edit: FOX livestream is available via tvunetworks.com

Edited by baht&sold

BTW, I love your sauces.

to quote the clueless

'classic'

I love how some people here make statements with no logical connectivity. The videos that I referenced as evidence supporting my opinion were of Michelle Obama doing what Michelle Obama does; saying what she says.

Its another matter entirely regarding "what people said" about Hillary. False comparison.

Clueless, indeed. Oh, the irony. :o

"As a black man, Barack could get shot just going to gas station." - Michelle Obama on 60-Minutes.

Now tell me honestly there is no undertone, to put it mildly, in that statement. It might come as no surprise, if you investigated the Black Liberation "church" she attended for 20 years. Even Barack's reaction in the video is telling.

Actually, I take an obsessive interest in facts, especially when people go to extraordinary means to avoid them.

- Fact: Hussein is Obama's middle name.

- Fact: The origin of the name Hussein is Arabic.

- Fact: Obama's father was a Muslim.

- Fact: In Arab-Muslim culture, the passing of the father's name to the son is also the passing of religious denomination.

- Fact: Barack Hussein Obama was born a Muslim. His mother was a known atheist and his father a known Muslim.

While one is considered a jew by birth if a mom is, you are correct iirc that one is considered muslim if ones father is.

Which gave me a troublesome thought. I would have hoped that the election of Obama would lead, might still, to better relationship with some middle-eastern nations. Perhaps they would be happy, as many of us are, that Bus would be gone and more open to constructive talks.

However, there is one very strong point that is crucial in regards to for example Iran. Altering religion from Muslim, in Obamas case he is a newly born Christian (since 1987 iirc), carries the penalty of death according to the Koran.

So if 'they' find out, he won't be seen with nice eyes anyway.

ummmm can you please cite a credible source for him being a 'newly born Christian'? I'll do the research on the Q'uran when I have the time :o

I'm at work, so I'll go sloppy and give you the wiki and you can read from the page itself as the sources are linked there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#...d_personal_life

Obama is a Christian whose religious views have evolved in his adult life. In The Audacity of Hope, Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents (whom Obama has specified elsewhere as "non-practicing Methodists and Baptists") to be detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his father as "raised a Muslim", but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful." In the book, Obama explains how, through working with black churches as a community organizer while in his twenties, he came to understand "the power of the African-American religious tradition to spur social change."[188][189] He was baptized at Trinity United Church of Christ in 1988.[190][191]

1988, so I was one year off.

No ... you were his entire life off ...

He doesn't describe himself as 'born again' or new born anywhere ...

What it says there is that he joined a specific church in 1988. It even suggests that he did so 'to spur social change'.

QWiki to the rescue ......

I didn't say 'born again', you did.

He was baptized in 1988, which for many is the sign of taking on the faith fully.

I.e. he wasn't Christian all his life.

BTW, I love your sauces.

to quote the clueless

'classic'

I love how some people here make statements with no logical connectivity. The videos that I referenced as evidence supporting my opinion were of Michelle Obama doing what Michelle Obama does; saying what she says.

Its another matter entirely regarding "what people said" about Hillary. False comparison.

"As a black man, Barack could get shot just going to gas station." - Michelle Obama on 60-Minutes.

Now tell me honestly there is no undertone, to put it mildly, in that statement. It might come as no surprise, if you investigated the Black Liberation "church" she attended for 20 years. Even Barack's reaction in the video is telling.

What? do you deny that as a black man he could be shot just going to the gas station in the USA? hel_l didn't they kill a Sikh just after 9-11 thinking he was an Arab and Muslim and ...

I personally know black men that are academics in Texas and they have more contact with the police than I EVER have had. (I hang out with Bikers, am heavily tattooed etc etc etc).

I guess you are an expert on the 'black experience' in the USA; mate

His church in Chicago made an excellent political starting off base for Obama. Lets not forget he is just a (very successful) politician and not a saint or savior. He didn't meteorically travel from a nobody to president of United States on hope alone. He ran perhaps the smartest presidential campaign in history, if his presidency is half as brilliant we will be very lucky. He didn't have Daddy the President to bail him out everytime like our current embarrassment in chief.

Edited by Jingthing

Statistically speaking, it would likely be by another black man.

Statistically speaking, it would likely be by another black man.

yes... it would

then if not another black man then a police officer ....

BTW, I love your sauces.

to quote the clueless

'classic'

What? do you deny that as a black man he could be shot just going to the gas station in the USA? hel_l didn't they kill a Sikh just after 9-11 thinking he was an Arab and Muslim and ...

I personally know black men that are academics in Texas and they have more contact with the police than I EVER have had. (I hang out with Bikers, am heavily tattooed etc etc etc).

I guess you are an expert on the 'black experience' in the USA; mate

If you wanna look at it that way... I guess even I could eventually get shot going to the gas station as well, statistically, provided I made enough trips in the bad parts of town. So could an Asian, Indian, etc. Is there any statistics that show black people being the majority targets of gas station murders?

From what I've found, its the station attendants who are more likely to be in danger, due to robbery, rather than patrons simply getting gas.

The picture Michelle paints of America on 60-Minutes is misleading and unbecoming - particularly in light that her husband (although mixed, but appears "black") was just elected POTUS.