Trip To Penang For Marriage Visa (requirements?)

I'm currently married to a Thai citizen, however I don't meet the monetary requirements of a 40,000 baht a month salary or 400,000 baht in the bank to obtain a marriage VISA in Thailand. I was told that if you don't meet these requirements Penang will still issue you a one year multiple entry non-imm. O Marriage Visa as long as you have the Thai marriage registration. Penang does not require one to meet the financial requirements for a marriage visa.

I realize I would have to leave the country every 90 days as the Visa is a multiple entry.

My questions are:

1. Is this true?

2. Can I renew every year assuming the law doesn't change?

Thank You!

1. yes

2. yes

You are confusing the marriage visa with a Non-Imm O, which you can get without the 400,000 in the bank.

You will need your marriage certificate (original), wife's birth certificate, ID card and Tabien Baan. You will have to show a Thai bankbook with some money in it. 40,000 should be enough.

Go to Cafe Khak in Chulia Street and see Stephen. He is brilliant and can be trusted.

There isn't a marriage visa, as such, but you can use your non-imm 'O' to apply for a one year extension inside Thailand based on marriage to a Thai, if you meet the money requirements.

They only asked for the wife's copy of her id card in Penang last month, as well as the marriage certificate, of course, for the non-imm 'O'. But agree, going the agent route means a lot less hassle and you'd spend more money anyway with the taxis.

There isn't a marriage visa, as such, but you can use your non-imm 'O' to apply for a one year extension inside Thailand based on marriage to a Thai, if you meet the money requirements.

They only asked for the wife's copy of her id card in Penang last month, as well as the marriage certificate, of course, for the non-imm 'O'. But agree, going the agent route means a lot less hassle and you'd spend more money anyway with the taxis.

If you go to one of the agents outside the swiss hotel (nj books or parzez books), they only ask for original marriage cert. plus photocopy of wife's i.d. Also, the non 'o' visa will give you 15 months - just leave and enter just before the visa expires and you still get another 90 days.

At the moment the answer is yes...........

but that may change.

I have the impression that the Immigration Dept is gradually tightening up its

interpretation of the rules. They may see your 3 monthly visa runs as a way

round the 400,000 baht ruling, and decide not to let you back in one day.

Having said that the Thai's are not great on enforcing anything for long,

so you may well be OK fo years.

Take a copy of the wife's id card or even the wife, when you go to apply.

Might even be a good idea to have a Thai bank book with you, showing 100-200K

if you can manage it. (photo copy as well.)

Don't produce it unless asked, but always good to be ready for the unexpected.

If you go to one of the agents outside the swiss hotel (nj books or parzez books), they only ask for original marriage cert. plus photocopy of wife's i.d. Also, the non 'o' visa will give you 15 months - just leave and enter just before the visa expires and you still get another 90 days.

All well and good, but if you want to stay here on a more permanent basis, you'll need to be applying for the extension of stay to lead to your residency.

The guy says he doesn't have sufficient funds for the xtension. also, there are many people who have been here for a very long time getting back to back visas. As he is married to a thai, he should not have any problems getting a visa of some kind now or in the future. I understand that the thai authorities are being tougher on people getting tourist visas, but i doubt they would be so heartless to stop him seeing his wife.

All well and good, but if you want to stay here on a more permanent basis, you'll need to be applying for the extension of stay to lead to your residency.

The guy says he doesn't have sufficient funds for the xtension. also, there are many people who have been here for a very long time getting back to back visas. As he is married to a thai, he should not have any problems getting a visa of some kind now or in the future. I understand that the thai authorities are being tougher on people getting tourist visas, but i doubt they would be so heartless to stop him seeing his wife.

As far as I can see you have covered it. A family visit visa is still available from many Consulates that will allow 90 day stays - but if you have the option the long stay visa would always be my choice and I would check that option out (talk with immigration) even if not quite up to normal requirements if otherwise legal. Those 90 day runs can get old after a few years. :o

Marriage visa and a "O" are differant? I always thought it was the same thing.  :o

Please explain

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. People use the term for the two below items however:

There is an O visa for family visits that can be based on a marriage in single or multi entry type; which normally only requires marriage papers and/or proof of relationships.

There is an extension of stay to support Thai wife for one year at a time requiring financial proof.