Degree Confusion

ray23

I have an Associatesw degree and many upper division courses completed, but do not have a B.A.

I'm also retired and have an annual now. I have taught as a volunteer at a local University and truly enjoyed it. The TEFL is a committment of several months that I can do. I think I would feel much more comfortable with teaching if I had the approproate guidelines. I would really like to see the students get the benefit for thier time in taking the classes.

What I'm worried about is messing up my annual.

This is kind of a grey area to me, volunteering.

Anyway if a AA qaulifies me to teach then I would pursue the TEFL.

Any Thoughts?

I have an Associatesw degree and many upper division courses completed, but do not have a B.A.

I'm also retired and have an annual now. I have taught as a volunteer at a local University and truly enjoyed it. The TEFL is a committment of several months that I can do. I think I would feel much more comfortable with teaching if I had the approproate guidelines. I would really like to see the students get the benefit for thier time in taking the classes.

What I'm worried about is messing up my annual.

This is kind of a grey area to me, volunteering.

Anyway if a AA qaulifies me to teach then I would pursue the TEFL.

Any Thoughts?

Yep these days I wish I would have applied to for my BA degree. To be honest I achieved the rank of Sgt and never wanted to go any further, it was where I wa happy. If you wanted to get up to a station commander slot then you needed it. I enjoyed working with the new guys and gals out of the academy and watch thier skills grow in the field It would appear at the moment it looks like I would have to return to the states to get the degree. I have looked at online courses and all I seem to find are the Scam degree programs. I'm not interested in doing anything illegal here, especially for a hobby. The retirement from Law Enforcement in California is very good, over a million baht a year. So the money really isn't an isue. But I don't relish school so I would hate to complete the TEFL just hang it on the wall at home and not use it.

Like I said very confusing since I don't need to work. I really don't want to mess up my annual visa to get a work permit. I really enjoyed giving the classes. Maybe I should talk to immgration and make sure I don't get messed up with this volunteering. My guess is if it looks like I'm working that is waht they are going to think

Mate I don't understand why they won't accept an AA either, but if your employer really pushes for you, they could sort it for you!

Without condoning this sort of behaviour I can tell you I know many people on an extended retirement Visa (which you'd be entitled to if you're over 50 and have that kind of money coming in) that teach here part-time (and yes they should have by rights have a WP....as you mention even if you volunteer you're supposed to have a WP) without a WP. A lot of them prefer to do this as it means they're not tied to the school and don't have to restart everything if they get the boot. Also it would probably be easier for a school to sponsor you for a work permit (even though you might not 100% qualify for it due to lack of a BA) on a 3 monthly basis (similar to if you earn less than the minimum wage outside of teaching) and you'd be able to avoid the Visa runs every 90 days 'cos you already have an extended Visa. PM me if you like.