Bmw 316i Or 520i/525i

groovyc

I am considering buying a used bmw (reg year: 1995-2000), but I am a bit confused about which model to buy and prices. At the moment, I am undecided between two quite different models. Let me quote the specs, prices and what I like about them first, and any comments from other owners of these models as to their strengths and weaknesses as well as how good a deal I am getting would be greatly appreciated.

1. 520i E34 V-Nose 1995 AT

Silver Colour with blue interior , mileage 98k, previously owned by the palace(??).

price: 300k with 6 month warranty

handling was good, but felt a bit heavy on the pedal (common for 520?)

I always fancied this model with its unique look from the front..

1a. 525i E34 Big-nose 1997 AT

Silver colour with black interior, mileage 140k. price: 430k (might go down a bit)

better acceleration than the 520, engine quiter.

2. 316i E36 1997 MT

Blue colour with beige interior, mileage 160k.

price: 338k

going as-it-is, condition could have been better. brake pads/suspension making some noise,

interior needs a bit brushing up...

Wasn't a big fan of this model initially, just checked it out as it was sitting at a shop in the neighbourhood.

Fell in love with the car after test-driving mostly due to the MT factor... one of the few models around that has MTs. plus the compact size and higher mileage per litre brought me back to reality I guess.

(got a 2.0l CR-V already, so a 2nd car should ideally perform better at the pump eh)

btw, thaicarDOTcom has a year2000 car of the same model for 405k which I am gonna check out soon.

All comments on these models welcome. Also, a rough estimate of maintenance costs from present owners would be great..

I was told by one of the dealers that the bmw dealership in Thailand basically is no good. Where do you guys usually service your beamers? and does anyone know which models are/were assembled in thailand and which ones are imported?

I have a E34 520i Manual, 12 valve M20 motor, its been a great car and I like it over the auto version,

Servicing has been very reasonable too, best fuel economy has been 6l/100km on the way back from Phuket and averages 10l/100km on a trip.

It was only 215,000baht and had a 6 month warranty as well, if you look I am sure you can still get around this price rather than the 300k, the e34 5 series is a lot better car than the 3 series in my mind after having owned both (e36 323i 2.5L before).

Stamp on the car is only around 2,000baht and insurance is reasonable as well, around 6,000 for 3rd class fire and theft.

I found mine on one2car's web site. pm me for anything else want to know.

This model was very popular here and servicing can be done anywhere, in Bangkok I use a BMW workshop in Ekamai 21, in Pattaya I use OOD service on Sukhumvit rd near Pattaya Tai.

Changed the front rotors and pads all round total price 6,000 baht.

Changed Rear Axles and drive shaft uni's and center mount all changed 18,000 baht.

New AC compressor, Front Thermo Fan, Thermo Switch in Radiator, Thermostat, re gas 21,000 baht.

Changed indicator Relay 1000 baht.

General Service oil and filters 1,900 baht.

I also have the info on resetting the service lights and fixing the seat back twist issue if you need.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, especially 'bazmld' for the comprehensive report...really enlightened me on many aspects.

I didn't know they had 520i manuals here to start with! Found a couple on one2car and taladrod, but those going for less than 230k

are pretty old (~1990)...well I guess age doesn't matter much if the car is sound, but who knows.

What's the reg.year of your 520i, bazmld?

And about the maintenance cost you have quoted, how much would it be per year on average?

Right now, I'm waiting to test drive a 1996 - 520i up for sale for 200k by the owner himself.

(= no intermediary charges, less scams?, but no warranty)

will keep you posted.

I have a E34 520i Manual, 12 valve M20 motor, its been a great car and I like it over the auto version,

Servicing has been very reasonable too, best fuel economy has been 6l/100km on the way back from Phuket and averages 10l/100km on a trip.

It was only 215,000baht and had a 6 month warranty as well, if you look I am sure you can still get around this price rather than the 300k, the e34 5 series is a lot better car than the 3 series in my mind after having owned both (e36 323i 2.5L before).

Stamp on the car is only around 2,000baht and insurance is reasonable as well, around 6,000 for 3rd class fire and theft.

I found mine on one2car's web site. pm me for anything else want to know.

This model was very popular here and servicing can be done anywhere, in Bangkok I use a BMW workshop in Ekamai 21, in Pattaya I use OOD service on Sukhumvit rd near Pattaya Tai.

Changed the front rotors and pads all round total price 6,000 baht.

Changed Rear Axles and drive shaft uni's and center mount all changed 18,000 baht.

New AC compressor, Front Thermo Fan, Thermo Switch in Radiator, Thermostat, re gas 21,000 baht.

Changed indicator Relay 1000 baht.

General Service oil and filters 1,900 baht.

I also have the info on resetting the service lights and fixing the seat back twist issue if you need.

If you do, 316 has less power than a golf cart, and if you have to get a 5 series don't even consider the 520.

its generally agreed that if you buy a 5 series, its gotta be a 530 up.

How general is this observation I wonder. I wouldn't argue about the 316 vs. power, and frankly I am not sure about the 520 either (let me try a 520 MT first), but I have no complains with the 525 (with my very little experience) and I see so many 520's and 525's on the road that I wonder...

I wouldn't buy a BM in Thailand. 300% overpriced.

M3 or M5 is the only way to go and only thaksin can (could) afford one of those over here!

mm, a bit off topic but let me give my 2-satangs worth as I've given quite some thought to this.

first of all, its about 1000% overpriced for the models I'm looking and compared to where I come from.

(Japan: basically, where I was before. >10yrs old BM's go for virtually free there.

Needless to say, the difference is even more for japanese cars)

As a result, I was driving cheap crappy cars at first in Thailand, only to realize that I was comparing

apples against durians, and as a result having trouble with cheap cars while my thai colleagues were

driving brand new cars paying 80% of their salary on the finance!

(btw, I was getting a jap salary all the time: the irony was heartbreaking)

Let's face it: A car in Thailand is not what it is in Japan; or anywahere else where taxes are ~10%.

And as long as we are here for a while, need a car, could afford it at least more than most of the others

who own one, let's not fuss too much about it. After all, we pay less for many other things here. (eg.my lunch=25B!)

and even the road taxes/insurance/parking/repairs(labour) cost considerably less here.

(in jp, I would have spent ~15000B/month on the above).

As for German vs. Japanese cars, the former are less overpriced for the 10yr old class here

(compared to Japan), and hence my interest.

At least BMW won't be using sub-standard parts on cars for foreign markets like the Japs (I hope..)

I just bought a 1994 525. It has a 3 liter 6 cyl twin turbo fron a Toyota Supra. I believe this motor has alot more power than the standard engine. It runs great. I am looking to put stock springs back in to raise it up some because it has been lowered and rides to rough. Other than that it is a great combo. The 3 series is about 600 lbs lighter and about 10 inches shorter. I guess if ti were a race car I would worry but it is a family car for me.

I just bought a 1994 525. It has a 3 liter 6 cyl twin turbo fron a Toyota Supra. I believe this motor has alot more power than the standard engine. It runs great. I am looking to put stock springs back in to raise it up some because it has been lowered and rides to rough. Other than that it is a great combo. The 3 series is about 600 lbs lighter and about 10 inches shorter. I guess if ti were a race car I would worry but it is a family car for me.

I was just going to bring up the issue of originality.  TVMAX, you may be happy with your Toyota Supra powered BMW, however I would suspect that there are a lot of older model BMW's on the market for sale that no longer have original drivetrain installed (ie. engine, tranny etc.) that are substandard to the original drivetrain.  Replacement cost of original BMW drivetrain components are expensive so I suspect that many Thais will opt out for a cheaper solution when these components fail.  

If you expect to pay a premium price for a used BMW, I would suggest that you have it inspected for original equipment, not some second-hand components pulled out of a junk or wrecked car.

520i is not the way to go. Engine much underpowered, in this case it will be heavy on fuel because you'll always have to "floor" the pedal. All BMW from the eary 90'ties had wiring isolation problems. isolationmaterial came off in this climate and wiring cirquits get shorts, resulting in malfunction. Fuseboxes melted arround the fuse contacts, even fuses still ok. Bad quality of fuse box materials. Basicly i would go for a 525i or even one with a 2 JZ engine. The last one is only worth to buy if the converting of the Toyota engine is done by professionals. In this case make sure there is no unbalanced driveshaft and check that all the electronics with the dashboard works correctly (Sometime the watergauge shows not the correct temperature and the Odometer and speedometer not show the real speed and distance). But in my opinion BMW are nice fun cars, not boring like a japanese vehicle. I know overpriced in Thailand, but we have to accept the prices, because we can't import them. I my self had a 1979 BMW 635 CSI Alpina, back in Switzerland. It was a real fun car, with a exclusive design and a lot of Power.

The toyota engines are getting pretty common with 90's beemers here. I wonder if the reason is merely a quest for power or does it happen upon failure of the original engines..

anyway, how much did your 525 cost, tvmax?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought it finally at long last. It's a 316i Compact 3Dr 1996 model.

I guess I got tired of looking for virtually non-existant MT 525's,

and since I got a good deal (270k) for the 316 from the owner herself,

decided to go for it.

It's running well except for some minor things like a loose steering rack..

It seems that every BMW forum I have read, owners have complained of power window motors failing. This seems to be a long-term problem that has affected a broad range of models and carried over with each model change.

and yes, a failed window motor gear set. (being fixed right now).

Thanks for all the info again, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to drive a vigo from Si Chompoo back to Udon today to catch Nok air home, first thing when i got back in the 520i was thinking its nice to hear the rubber sole on my shoe squeaking on the pedal as i push it, the vigo just isnt quiet like a BMW, even tho the 520 is a 91 model, 100kmh and still as quiet inside.