Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

RP to 'politely' send back Thaksin

MANILA, Philippines-- Foreign Undersecretary Franklin Ebdalin said on Sunday the government would "politely" turn down any request for political refuge from the self-exiled Thai leader, citing Manila's "friendly" diplomatic relations with Bangkok.

"If an applicant for a political asylum insists, the first thing the friendly country customarily does is to send him back to his home country," Ebdalin said in Filipino in a phone interview from Hong Kong.

:o:D

Good luck and enjoy your new country, Thakky....

togo_photo_trip_01.jpg

A house in Togo...(or Togolese Republic, if you will)

Seems like a mansion in Togo is looking pretty good for him...

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a mud hut may be all that he can afford....

Seizure of billions of Thaksin's assets continues

A case seeking the seizure of 76 Billion Baht of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's assets for alleged corruption will continue even if the defendant is now out of the country, former members of the Assets Examination Committee said.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Position Holders has sentenced Thaksin to a two-year jail term in connection with a land case. But seven other cases against the ousted PM are still in different stages of process with the court and other agencies.

Thaksin was absent in the first hearing of two of the seven cases. His absence resulted in the cases being suspended since the law requires that the defendant must be present before the court during the first hearing.

Former AEC members Sak Korsaengruang and Amnuay Tantara agreed that the cases must be delayed.

Sak said Thaksin's absence in the first hearing would affect cases where he is the only defendant. The cases must be suspended until Thaksin is back, he said.

However, Thaksin's absence would not affect the alleged corruption case which could result in seizure of Thaksin's 76 Billion Baht assets, Sak said. Although Thaksin is the only defendant, the case is a civil case, not a criminal one, and the law does not require his presence during the first hearing.

Amnuay said Thaksin's absence would not affect cases where he has co-defendants including the illegal launch of two and three digit lotteries. Other defendants included former Cabinet members and the board of the Government Lottery Office, so the court can proceed with the case by leaving only Thaksin's suspended.

However, other former AEC members agreed that the court could proceed with the cases although Thaksin was not in the country. Procedures of the law are stated clearly, they said.

Udom Fuangfung said the National Anti-Corruption Commission could continue investigating the source of the money Thaksin had used to buy the Manchester City Football Club and the alleged corruption in the purchase of CTX9000 bomb scanners.

Meanwhile, the Attorney-General can consider whether to submit the SC Asset share concealment to the court.

Former AEC member Banjerd Singkaneti said Thaksin had no right to say that the Thai justice system was unfair in proceeding with the case while he was away. The court must follow procedures according to the law, he said.

"Trialling of the cases when a defendant does not come to court, the court has proceedings freeing from the absence's impact. Meanwhile, the court opens the chance for the defendant to clarify himself. The court has given the chance to Thaksin to defend himself but he chose not to defend," Banjerd said.

- The Nation / 2008-11-10

Self-inflicted wound

Thaksin made one big mistake: He underestimated the importance of the deep-rooted, close ties between the UK and Thailand. The British government's decision to revoke the visas of Thaksin and his wife Potjaman is a blow to his personal life and more importantly to his political strategy. Although the order relates only to their red-covered diplomatic passports, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for the convicted former PM Potjaman to apply for entry to the UK using the other passports in their possession. Thaksin and Potjaman have not been declared persona non grata by London, but the cancellation of their visas comes close to that definition. Their chance of entering any British port is now very slim. So is the opportunity for them to be granted political asylum, a status he sought from the British Home Office in August. Thaksin knew very well that he could not afford to upset the British government by making any political moves while his application for political asylum was being processed in London. So he decided to send his message to his red-shirted loyalists at Rajamangala stadium on Nov 1 from Hong Kong. The one big mistake he made was to underestimate the importance of the deep-rooted, close ties between the UK and Thailand. Living the quiet life in London after the coup and his conviction in a Thai court was not impossible. Instead, his political activities were making the British government increasingly uncomfortable and putting a strain on its relations with Thailand. The best way out for the British government was to kill off his bid for political asylum as soon as possible, and that was made possible by the decision to revoke their visas. Now Thaksin has to find a new base overseas that will allow him to keep sending messages to his supporters in Thailand. However, he will have to think very carefully about his family ties as he and his wife can no longer visit their children in London, if the children decide to stay there. The British government realised the importance of its relations with Thailand at all levels and knew that should not be jeopardised by

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=131927

No refuge in Manila

As PM Somchai headed to Manila for an official visit on Monday, the Philippines slammed the door on any hope that Thaksin Shinawatra might have to settle in the country. Foreign Undersecretary Franklin Ebdalin Sunday said Thaksin had not applied to visit, but the government would “politely” turn down any request for political refuge from the fugitive Thai leader. He cited Manila’s “friendly” relations with Bangkok, the media in the Philippines reported on Monday. Thai media and opposition openly wondered on Sunday if Somchai would meet Thaksin, who supposedly was rumoured to be planning a visit to the Philippines. Somchai denied any such intent. Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita told the media in Manila that the country had not received any official word on whether Thaksin intended to fly to the Philippines. There appears to be a number of countries willing to take in Thaksin, the Thai media said, mentioning the Bahamas and African countries. The Manila media on Monday recalled that in 2003, Philippines President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo cited Thaksin’s “Thaksinomics,” or his economic policies, for enabling Thailand to recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis. Addressing Makati businessmen that year, Thaksin offered this advice: “A politician always thinks about the next election, while a statesman always thinks about the next generation. If you think of the next generation, you can do a lot of

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=131929

Edited by sriracha john

bang! one by one the doors are closing.

He can't claim asylum based on persecution and no other place to live because he can freely travel to any of his other luxurious residences around the world. Plus his own brother-in-law is the prime minister of the country he's 'fleeing' from - quite difficult to convince a British court on that one. He would have to stand up in a British court and NAME the person who HE BELIEVES is persecuting him. If he does this, he's not ever coming home without being lynched.

I very much doubt that any door closed without his knowledge. As I stated earlier, I am certain both he and his lawyers knew the possible consequences of leaving England. If you are, in fact, applying for asylum you are asking for the protection of the country. Once you leave, you are basically saying you don't need the protection of the country any longer. Most countries in a similar position would be either revoke the visas or deny the application for asylum or both.

He is very far from being without options. Britain may just have been a little too profile and problematic.

I am only speculating, but this is a man who is quite bright and he has managed to stay a step ahead of things for a long time. I might also add that the money frozen in Thailand is certainly not the bulk of his fortune, which is no doubt stashed in some very safe places and far from the reach of the Thai officials.

Thaksin's asylum bid in jeopardy

The United Kingdom's visa ban on deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman has rocked their effort to seek political asylum overseas.

One day after the British government revoked their visas, questions emerged yesterday about the whereabouts of the fugitive couple and where they would head next to spend their self-imposed exile.

A mansion valued at 300 Million Baht is under construction in China with funding from Thaksin, according to a source from the ruling People Power Party with close connections to the ex-PM.

The source said it was likely that Thaksin would move into the new mansion if he could no longer stay in Britain. Thaksin and Pojaman were in the process of applying for political asylum in the UK.

The Bahamas, an archipelago country in the Atlantic Ocean off Florida, has also emerged as a likely new home for Thaksin and family. He and his wife have reportedly been granted honorary citizenship there.

Former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama, who once served as Thaksin's lawyer, said yesterday that he expected the ex-PM to live in an Asian country such as China. He said many countries were willing to grant Thaksin a visa.

"Thaksin is expected to pick a country that honours and welcomes him and from which he can travel independently," he said.

Pongthep Thepkanchana, Thaksin's personal secretary, yesterday said he did not know the whereabouts of Thaksin.

Analysts say the revocation of the couple's visas is a big setback for any political comeback in Thailand. Thaksin was enthusiastic when more than 50,000 people showed up at a recent rally to show support for him.

Former envoy Kasit Piromya pointed out that the UK decision would restore the reputation of the Thai judicial system, which has been under attack from the Western media. "It means that Britain respects the Thai courts' rulings, contrary to what Thaksin has regularly alleged," Kasit said.

Throughout the court proceedings, Thaksin has alleged that the Thai judicial process has been tampered with and "politically motivated."

The 27-member European Union and the Commonwealth have to respond to the British action, Kasit said. What the UK has done, he pointed out, will impact on ASEAN if there is a decision by Commonwealth members Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia.

Meanwhile, a public prosecutor expressed concern yesterday that the visa revocation would further complicate the efforts to have Thaksin extradited to Thailand.

Sirisak Tiyapan, Director-General of the Foreign Affairs Department, said extradition could be proceeded on only if there was evidence that he had residence in the country the state was seeking his extradition from.

With Thaksin's visa revoked, the Royal Thai Police will have to ascertain his whereabouts. If Thaksin moves to a country which does not have an extradition treaty with Thailand, public prosecutors can still seek extradition on the reciprocity principle, meaning that if that country agrees to send Thaksin to Thailand, Thailand will honour any request from that country for extradition.

Public prosecutors have completed paperwork for Thaksin's extradition in English, and they are still waiting to see if Thaksin's lawyer will before November 20 appeal the Supreme Court ruling on the Ratchadaphisek land purchase, which sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail. If there is no appeal, the prosecutors could seek extradition immediately.

Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said the UK Embassy had confirmed the report and notified Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat about the matter.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat refused to comment.

- The Nation / 2008-11-09

"The 27-member European Union and the Commonwealth have to respond to the British action, Kasit said."

The UK is not a Schengen country, so their decision has nothing to do with the EU Schengen agreements, so they don't have to respond in any way. And if the UK was a Schengen country it would only create a problem for Mr. Thaksin because it will be impossible for him to enter any Schengen country.

I very much doubt that any door closed without his knowledge. As I stated earlier, I am certain both he and his lawyers knew the possible consequences of leaving England.

A couple of other serious misjudgements on part of his lawyers - giving 2 mil to court officials and ending up in jail, and supplying Potjamarn with rudely forged defence documents.

I very much doubt that any door closed without his knowledge. As I stated earlier, I am certain both he and his lawyers knew the possible consequences of leaving England.

A couple of other serious misjudgements on part of his lawyers - giving 2 mil to court officials and ending up in jail, and supplying Potjamarn with rudely forged defence documents.

I think it may have come as quite a shock .... assuming the reason he hadn't started applying for Asylum to leave him free for political maneuvering of this sort (can't do it when applying for asylum). It looks like the UK just said >If he aint here he can't apply" and decided not to let him return after his little speech

A couple of other serious misjudgments on part of his lawyers - giving 2 mil to court officials and ending up in jail, and supplying Potjamarn with rudely forged defense documents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a comment about the topic in general.

The world economy is in collapse.

Thailand will likely see a massive increase in unemployment.

Since Thailand never has had a functioning democracy and does not look like it will have one for any time soon, who cares about Thaksin? Just one more in a line here. None of the elected leaders are real here.

Here comes the new boss

Same as the old boss

We won't get fooled again

How about the REST OF THE STORY::::: :o

I am sure you all remember this: :D

Potjaman Shinawatra Guilty

10.47am : The Criminal Court on Thursday found Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra guilty of intentionally avoiding a tax payment of Bt546 million for the transfer of 4.5 million shares of the Shinawatra Computer and Communications' shares worth Bt738 million. Also found guilty in the historic trial are Pojaman's brother Bannaphot Damapong and her personal secretary Kanchana Honghern. The court sentenced Pojaman and Bannaphot each to 3 years in jail.

- The Nation

Where is Bannaphot and the arrogant and less than charming personal secretary Kanchana????? (I think Kanchana got 2 years??)

For myself I feel a lot more attention should be given to Pojaman, and she is really the motivational power behind Thanskin.

Also in the candy caper. (Another relative and assorted camp followers). After they were thrown under the bus and got to enjoy the enticements of a Thai jail, seems like they should be coming back for a re duc as the 1st sentence was just for contempt of court, the criminal charges that could result in 5 years has yet to be tried.

Edited by old wanderer

Surely if they take away his visa he will apply to be a political asylum seeker, with all the human rights we have here and in the EU, he isnt going to jail in LOS anytime soon unless he volunteers to.

From what I understand under EU and Commonwealth Law is that he cannot apply for asylum as the Thai Monarchy is the longest and most stable Monarchy in the World and thus presents no threat to any individual - and although the Government has issues, the law of the land is stable and the point of Asylum is based on the the law and highest or ruling point of the nation, that being the Monarchy.

10.47am : The Criminal Court on Thursday found Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra guilty of intentionally avoiding a tax payment of Bt546 million for the transfer of 4.5 million shares of the Shinawatra Computer and Communications' shares worth Bt738 million. Also found guilty in the historic trial are Pojaman's brother Bannaphot Damapong and her personal secretary Kanchana Honghern. The court sentenced Pojaman and Bannaphot each to 3 years in jail.

- The Nation

Where is Bannaphot and the arrogant and less than charming personal secretary Kanchana????? (I think Kanchana got 2 years??)

For myself I feel a lot more attention should be given to Pojaman, and she is really the motivational power behind Thanskin.

Also in the candy caper. (Another relative and assorted camp followers). After they were thrown under the bus and got to enjoy the enticements of a Thai jail, seems like they should be coming back for a re duc as the 1st sentence was just for contempt of court, the criminal charges that could result in 5 years has yet to be tried.

Potjaman and Bannaphot were both sentenced to 3 years imprisonment. Kanchana was sentenced to 2 years. Both Bannaphot (and his wife Bussaba) and Kanchana all fled to the UK along with Potjaman. I've not encountered any articles relaying that they ever left.

The lawyers for Thaksin sent to prison over Pastrygate are due for release on Christmas Day for their contempt of court case. Their bribery of judges case is still pending.

Edited by sriracha john

- The Nation

Nicely put... as in being nice.

I see her more as obsesively status driven haridan riding his back like a hel_l-hound

to make SURE her position is above any other woman in her proximity.

At her trial, he looked unhappy at her conviction, but resigned to the inevitable,

He saw it coming and couldn't change things.

She looked disbelieving and shocked to the core that anyone DARED talk back to her,

judges, press, government functionaries; anyone.

She has pushed him just as she was able to steer TRT when she was in.

If she can corral a bunch of bottom feeders like that into line,

can you imagine the pressure she put on him at home...?

Well I hope the story is true and if it is then the British government does have a backbone after all.

I await the return of khun toxin and his equally toxic wife to Thailand and jail. Perhaps then this country can back to business as normal minus the corruption as all possible corrupters will have been sent the message "you'll not be allowed to get away with it".

There's a copy of the actual (purported) e-mail here.

Their visa's have not been revoked.

Just more lies from the fazist PAD thugs.

Desperate moves by desperate people.

Well to me it sounds as authoritative as Winnie the Pooh.It's a hoax unless I'm much mistaken.I especially relish the quote from diplomatic observers couched in the usual semi-literate Nation house style.England has in reality on this matter only been "under the world community's watchful eyes" in PAD fevered imagination.

Having said that I doubt whether the British authorities would be happy with Thaksin actively engaged in overseas politicking, ie summoning followers to Manila etc.But overall it's amusing to see how easily some people are taken in.

I just love being away for 2 days and reading posts like this when the end-stage is already known. No need to wait to find out if you guys are wrong again... :o

I doubt you will see them going to jail until you read about a new luxury jail being built somewhere near Chiang Mai!

Well I sincerely hope they do go to jail and not a luxury one either...the message "corruption will not be tolerated" has to be made. Without it this country has no hope of a government "for the people" (all of them equally) which is what all my young (18-25), ordinary (working-class), poor (minimum wage) Thai friends wish for.

the in-fighting within the People Power Party escalates further....

360.jpg

People Power Party MP and Foreign Affairs Minister Sompong Amornvivat

419.jpg

People Power Party MP Surapong Tovijakchaikul

Foreign Minister takes a swipe at PPP MP

Foreign Affairs Minister Sompong Amornvivat on Monday criticised People Power Party's Chiang Mai MP Surapong Tovijakchaikul after he said the Foreign Ministry will send a letter to Britain, asking the British authority why former PM Thaksin's UK visa was revoked. Sompong said he felt worried about the MP’s comment because it may affect the bilateral ties between Thailand and Britain. The British authority has an absolute right to withdraw the ex-PM’s visa and the Thai Foreign Ministry will not ask for the reason of the revocation from the British Ambassador to Thailand, Sompong reiterated. He said his ministry is ready to cooperate with the Attorney-General to extradite Thaksin, adding that the ministry can help locate him through Thai embassies and consulates worldwide. Referring to the rumours that Thaksin could be staying in China and may seek a political asylum in the Philippines, the minister said the two countries have extradition treaties with Thailand. Although the former PM can travel to the Philippines without asking for a visa, the Philippine authority will decide whether he could enter the country, the minister noted. He said the ministry is ready to proceed with the withdrawal of Thaksin’s diplomatic passport, but he personally viewed that holding a diplomatic passport instead of a normal passport does not grant many special privileges.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131933

meanwhile, at the ASEAN neighbor...

Somchai, not Thaksin, due today

Thailand Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, and not his brother-in-law and ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, will be the one arriving in the country today even as the Thai press continued to speculate where their former leader will go after Britain revoked his visa over the weekend.

The Thai press reported that Thaksin, who is supposedly in China, may head to Manila to meet up with his brother-in-law, who is arriving for an official visit at 3 p.m. today.

But Somchai declined to tell Thai journalists whether he planned to meet up with Thaksin during his seven-hour stay.

“The revoking of the visas is the decision by the government of Great Britain—we cannot criticize,” Somchai said in Bangkok after Thailand’s foreign ministry confirmed that Britain had slapped an entry ban on Thaksin and his wife Pojaman, a month after the former prime minister was sentenced in absentia to two years in prison for helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was premier.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita and Press Secretary Jesus Dureza also declined to comment on the Thai media reports. They only talked about the matters that will be discussed when Somchai meets with President Arroyo in Malacañang today.

Mrs. Arroyo will also host a gala dinner for the visiting prime minister, after which she will proceed to the airport to leave for New York, where she will be attending an inter-faith conference at the United Nations.

Dureza said Mrs. Arroyo would urge Somchai, the Chairman of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, to hasten the implementation of the $80-billion regional financial rescue fund, officially known as the Chiang Mai Initiative 2.

He said the President would also discuss with Somchai the forthcoming high-level working group meeting on the global financial crisis summit, which will be held in the Philippines on Nov. 15 to 16. The summit, which will convene the finance ministers and the central bank governors of ASEAN’s 10 member-states, will hammer out the details of the Chiang Mai Initiative 2, which will be adopted during the ASEAN Summit in December in Chiang Mai.

Mrs. Arroyo and Somchai will also discuss the celebration of the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Thailand and the Philippines next year, and the proposed Thailand-Philippines Tourism Package that will encourage the flow of tourists between the two countries.

- Manila Standard Today with AFP / 2008-11-10

Surely if they take away his visa he will apply to be a political asylum seeker, with all the human rights we have here and in the EU, he isnt going to jail in LOS anytime soon unless he volunteers to.

From what I understand under EU and Commonwealth Law is that he cannot apply for asylum as the Thai Monarchy is the longest and most stable Monarchy in the World and thus presents no threat to any individual - and although the Government has issues, the law of the land is stable and the point of Asylum is based on the the law and highest or ruling point of the nation, that being the Monarchy.

Sorry, not so.

With all due respect, the Japanese monarchy is the oldest with the Scandinavians ( Denmark, Norway & Sweden) and good old Britain all being older than the Siamese dynasty which, I believe is over 600 years old.

captcpsodp00081108114907photo00phot.jpg

Thailand's deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra (right) and his wife Pojaman (left). British authorities have revoked the visas of Thaksin and his wife Pojaman.

AFP

====================================================================

Philippine asylum for Thaksin unlikely

MANILA: The Philippines has not received an asylum request from former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra after his visa was revoked by the British government, a foreign department official said Monday.

Thai newspapers have been reporting that Thaksin may be heading to Manila, where his brother-in-law, incumbent Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, was scheduled to visit Monday.

"It's unlikely that Thaksin will seek asylum in the Philippines. The DFA (foreign department) has not received a request," a senior department official told reporters.

He said that if a request were filed by Thaksin, the justice department would be unlikely to approve it. He declined to elaborate.

Somchai was due to meet President Gloria Arroyo later Monday for a bilateral meeting focusing on ways to limit the impact of the global financial crisis in the region. The one-day trip would also include talks on boosting two-way trade as well as military and energy cooperation.

Thaksin was last month sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for conflict of interest after helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was prime minister.

Arroyo's office said she would meet Somchai to discuss "the international financial crisis and its impact on the region." The Thai leader was also expected to formally invite Arroyo to the annual Southeast Asian summit to be held in Chiang Mai in December.

The Philippines and Thailand established diplomatic relations in 1949, and are both key players in the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

Thailand is also a key source of rice, the Philippines' staple food.

- AFP / 2008-11-10

Sorry, not so.

With all due respect, the Japanese monarchy is the oldest with the Scandinavians ( Denmark, Norway & Sweden) and good old Britain all being older than the Siamese dynasty which, I believe is over 600 years old.

Thailand has been ruled by kings since the thirteenth century. The current Chakri Dynasty has been around since the 1790's.

Having had their UK visas revoked it is now unlikely that Thaksin and his wife can travel within the EU and may find Commonwealth countries following suit including Malaysia and Singapore. There are a number of criminal charges still pending against two of the children. One could expect that their right to be in the UK, to study or otherwise, will also be revoked once convicted. Even the US and Canada are probably off limits to them now.

Good thing he's building a 300 million baht house in China. Looks like he intends to be staying there for a while. Thaksin is Chinese Thai anyway so why would he go anywhere else. One would think that the executions for corruption might bother Thaksin a bit but expect the Chinese authorities to take their time processing any extradition request. One could also expect the Chinese authorities to be even less forgiving about Thaksin meddling in the internal affairs of Thailand than the British were so he'll have to keep his nose clean and watch his step. Probably equivalent to being under house arrest. China's close enough to Thailand for Thaksin's enemies to pay him a visit if he becomes too troublesome.

Sorry, not so.

Thailand has been ruled by kings since the thirteenth century. The current Chakri Dynasty has been around since the 1790's.

Point being?

Sorry, not so.

Point being?

I was was merely adding more information to what you had already stated.

Sorry, not so.

Point being?

I was was merely adding more information to what you had already stated.

Thank you. :o It is hard to believe the Japanese monarchy has apparently been in existence since 660 B.C.

Exiled former Thai PM Thaksin vows to fight enemies

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital, denying Thai media reports that his destination was Manila.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he had scrapped his UK asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

Source: Reuters - 10 November 2008

Exiled former Thai PM Thaksin vows to fight enemies

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital, denying Thai media reports that his destination was Manila.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he had scrapped his UK asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

Source: Reuters - 10 November 2008

He is not even making an effort to hide the fact that he is still involved in Thai politics now.