Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

Foreign Minister takes a swipe at PPP MP

Foreign Affairs Minister Sompong Amornvivat;

".....personally viewed that holding a diplomatic passport instead of a normal passport does not grant many special privileges."

I had a diplomatic passport when I was a kid, due to my dad being in the U.S. State Dept. It affords several distinct privileges, not least passing in and out of countries without having baggage checked - and immunity from arrest for misdemeanors and some felonies.

If his stated intention is to fight his enemies, he can forget about asylum anywhere, apart from mental hospitals. Even Bahamas or Central African Republic would be very reluctant to provided a base for his political activities against Thailand.

He has completely lost his mind.

Many countries, especially smaller ones like the Bahamas or CAR might be glad to have a gazillionaire like Thaksin in their midst. That's the main reason why the US and Britain have traditionally been so accommodating to despots - as it brings in mega bucks to whatever community they settle down to. In the US, Florida is the most popular locale, and the list of despots retiring there (after being run out of their home countries) is a long one.

Why would the Mr. and Mrs. Thaksin even need asylum for the near term - and why so much repetitive talk of Philippines on this forum? With his deep pockets, the Thaksins can travel to nearly any country in the world - taking end-to-end vacations if they so choose - stretched out for months or years at a time. ....every so often, he can tape a message to send to Thailand, which his recessive bro-in-law PM will gladly allow to be broadcast. Sort of how Bin Laden gets his messages out to his die-hard (die-easy?) followers.

Edited by brahmburgers

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a bit off topic but concerns Thaksin.

I have often wondered why Thaksin,with all his billions, has never publicly made a major charitable donation to the very people who apparently love him.

Has he ever actually paid for construction of a school, hospital, housing for the poor etc out of his "own" money?

Has he ever done anything that would be considered something along the lines of what Bill Gates Foundation has done?

I have never read anything positive in the newspapers about Thaksin doing something charitable using his own funds.

All the praise he gets from some posters here and his die-hard fans is for schemes he initiated using government (tax-payer) funds. Not his own money

I would be interested to learn if the man has actually given one satang out of his own pocket that he didn't expect to get back sooner or later.

Had he done these things, rather than being a pariah, he would be regarded as something of a hero.

Yes, I know about the red-shirt rallies, but that's just mindless hero worship IMHO.

I have often wondered why Thaksin,with all his billions, has never publicly made a major charitable donation to the very people who apparently love him.

Has he ever actually paid for construction of a school, hospital, housing for the poor etc out of his "own" money?

Has he ever done anything that would be considered something along the lines of what Bill Gates Foundation has done?

I have never read anything positive in the newspapers about Thaksin doing something charitable using his own funds.

All the praise he gets from some posters here and his die-hard fans is for schemes he initiated using government (tax-payer) funds. Not his own money

I would be interested to learn if the man has actually given one satang out of his own pocket that he didn't expect to get back sooner or later.

Had he done these things, rather than being a pariah, he would be regarded as something of a hero.

Yes, I know about the red-shirt rallies, but that's just mindless hero worship IMHO.

Can't say as I recall a single thing in this line...

Well he may have ordered the slaughter of thousands of enemies of local police stations throughout the country, in the name of the WOD. And ordered hundreds of Ramadan fasting muslims to be piled 5 high in trucks after being beaten, who subsequently died. But we must all praise his paying off the IMF loan out of his own pocket. I was heartened when brothers Isaan gf told me of this great deed.

What a great man.

PM pours money into a Thaksin project

By The Nation

On Monday, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat injected Bt6.5 billion into the communitybased SML (small, medium, large) project - one of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's populist policies that were hugely popular at the grassroots level.

Somchai, along with Deputy Prime Minister Dr Olarn Chaipravat launched the project at Lanna Technology University in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district.

The PM said he was keeping this project alive because he believed it had proven useful as it fostered growth and development in rural areas.

"Every satang is used transparently with no politician benefiting personally from the project," he said.

LIKE <deleted> IT IS added by marshbags !!!!!!!! :o

He said the government would allocate more money to about 10,000 villages by the end of this year.

Commenting on the political crisis, Somchai insisted that it would not obstruct national development because people's well being remained the government's main priority.

After Somchai transferred the funds to the Government Savings Bank and the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, 76 lamps were released into the sky to mark this goodwill gesture, which will benefit 27,699 villages and communities in all 76 provinces across the country.

UNQUOTE

Unbelievable, extraction of the urine at it,s most forceful

NFC

I posted this here rather than do a search for a more suitable thread, also this one is ongoing at the present time and this is just one small example of / as to why he is in this position of exile

marshbags

Ah yes. ELECTION COMING!!

Release the government portion of the Issan bribe money.

Betchya squat goes to the south now....

No it need not go in politicians pockets directly,

it goes in their control networks pockets,

so THEY can control the little people.

The Kamnan Benevolent Fund just sprang into use.

This of course WILL be directed to make best use of PPP districts players.

Knob heads one and all.

Mind you, if the Democrats, being the Opposition party and all, could, after all this time, come up with some tangible policies that at least show they care about the rural poor, which make up a huge percentage of the populace here, again - After All This time - I think Taksin's Proxy Party may have a fight on it's hands if any election does take place. The Oppositon does, after all, bear an awful lot of responsibility for the present lamentable situation here.

The Democrats are perceived, rightly or wrongly not to give a rat's arse. Really they should stop posturing and get out more.

Electoral success in Thailand doesn't depend on policies or ideology but on money and connections.

>>>>

Thaksin's money will be welcome anywhere but his politican vendetta is a no go, even in Bahamas. It's for fat cats who want to keep low profile, not a base to overthrow governments.

111108_news01.jpg

Thaksin vows he will fight back

Fugitive plans another speech to his supporters

Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said yesterday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies. "I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin said. He refused to say where he was going next, but denied the destination was Manila, as rumoured. He also denied Thai media reports he was building a 60 million yuan (300 million baht) mansion at a golf resort near Beijing. Thaksin said he would address supporters at future rallies in northeastern Thailand, a region that helped deliver him two landslide election victories. "I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names because they have pushed me into a corner," he said. The visa revocation, which also includes his wife, prompted Foreign Minister Sompong to hold talks with British ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle at the Foreign Ministry yesterday. Sompong asked him about the British decision, according to the ambassador, who did not give a reason except for reading his prepared statement to him and later to reporters. "Throughout the political crisis in Thailand, the UK has been maintaining the steadfast principle of supporting Thailand's democratic institutions, without taking sides," the statement said. "The same principle has been reflected in our consideration of immigration matters, which are treated strictly in accordance with the UK law," it added. The visas cancelled by the British government are in the couple's diplomatic passports given to them when Thaksin was PM. The visa revocations led to renewed calls for the government to have the couple's diplomatic passports revoked. But Sompong did not appear keen on this idea. Thaksin and his wife have to find a country to stay in now.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/111108_News/11Nov2008_news01.php

How about the REST OF THE STORY::::: :o

I am sure you all remember this: :D

Potjaman Shinawatra Guilty

10.47am : The Criminal Court on Thursday found Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra guilty of intentionally avoiding a tax payment of Bt546 million for the transfer of 4.5 million shares of the Shinawatra Computer and Communications' shares worth Bt738 million. Also found guilty in the historic trial are Pojaman's brother Bannaphot Damapong and her personal secretary Kanchana Honghern. The court sentenced Pojaman and Bannaphot each to 3 years in jail.

- The Nation

Where is Bannaphot and the arrogant and less than charming personal secretary Kanchana????? (I think Kanchana got 2 years??)

For myself I feel a lot more attention should be given to Pojaman, and she is really the motivational power behind Thanskin.

Also in the candy caper. (Another relative and assorted camp followers). After they were thrown under the bus and got to enjoy the enticements of a Thai jail, seems like they should be coming back for a re duc as the 1st sentence was just for contempt of court, the criminal charges that could result in 5 years has yet to be tried.

Potjaman and Bannaphot were both sentenced to 3 years imprisonment. Kanchana was sentenced to 2 years. Both Bannaphot (and his wife Bussaba) and Kanchana all fled to the UK along with Potjaman. I've not encountered any articles relaying that they ever left.

The lawyers for Thaksin sent to prison over Pastrygate are due for release on Christmas Day for their contempt of court case. Their bribery of judges case is still pending.

Thanks for the update......I believe if we start to get a few more of these rounded up...(Where is Dog the Bounty Hunter???) it will help a lot.

Certainly someone like the arrogant little Kanchana cannot be having too good of a time in chilly England, and I can see her being thrown under the bus without a second thought.

I hear from my wife the son of Potjaman and Thaskin is currently running round Bangkok with his little group....Last week he had a pretty good time in a club, and when confronted by some of the other people his defense was...."do you know who my father is.....I can make you disappear" Sort of a chip off the old block I'd say.

If I was planning stratigy, I would shift my focus to Kanchana, Banaphot, and naturally Potjaman, then getting the cases completed against the children (God I hate that word as it makes these people seem little and defenseless, which they are certainly adults and responsible for their actions).

Britain respects Thai democracy: UK ambassador

(BangkokPost.com) - British authorities respected Thailand's democracy when considering whether to withdraw former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's visa, British Ambassador Quinton Quayle affirmed on Monday evening.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131945

One "mature democracy" showing respect for another. Say thank you, Somchai.

and in a crushing blow to the golfing industry in Thailand.... but one that is good for Thaksin's girlfriend's father...

Thaksin hits his last shot for the PGA

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra has tendered his resignation as President of the Professional Golf Association (PGA) of Thailand. Thai PGA Secretary-General Torpong Chaiyasarn confirmed yesterday that Thaksin had resigned after serving 18 months of his two-year term. "He made a call to me to say he was quitting the position on Sunday night," Torpong said. His resignation follows the British government's cancellation of the visas of Thaksin and his wife Potjaman. Torpong said Thaksin told him his resignation would make it easier for others to run the association. "We had three meetings with him - one in Thailand and two in Hong Kong," Torpong said. "We will sorely miss Thaksin because he did a lot of good things for the association. Without him, the Thai PGA will certainly be less colourful." Board member Chaiyan Wisutthithada will be acting President until the term of the current board expires in April. Chaiyan is the father of pop singer Saranrat, better known as "Lydia", and a close friend of the former PM.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/111108_News/11Nov2008_news06.php

=====================================================

Thaksin's girlfriend Lydia is no stranger to the links herself.

29.jpg

27.jpg

Saranrat-Wisutthithada-lydia-pictur.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Yesterday, November 10, a Manila newspaper (Philippine Star) had this news article:

Thai prime minister arrives today for bilateral talks with GMA

By Paolo Romero

Monday, November 10, 2008

Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will arrive this afternoon for brief talks with President Arroyo on bilateral and regional concerns on the global economic crisis.

Somchai is scheduled to arrive in Manila for a seven-hour visit. The two leaders will meet at Malacañang prior to the state dinner to be tendered in honor of the visiting head of state.

Somchai's visit will come on the eve of the crucial meeting of the ASEAN+3 (member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations plus China, Japan and South Korea) high-level technical working group in Manila that would finalize the amount and the mechanics of disbursement of the proposed multi-billion dollar standby facility for distressed financial institutions in the region.

The final decision on the standby facility that finance officials in the region earlier said could be anywhere between $80 billion to $350 billion would be reached when ASEAN heads of state meet in Chiang Mai, Thailand next month.

"The visit, though brief, is very significant especially that Thailand is now chair of the ASEAN and there are many developments in the region," Press Secretary Jesus Dureza said.

"It is also expected that the two ASEAN leaders will discuss the current financial crisis and its impact on the region during the bilateral meeting," a Palace statement said.

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said the new Thai prime minister is coming to Manila "to introduce himself to the President."

Somchai took over Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and went into exile in Britain.

The British government later revoked Thaksin's visa and confirmed last Saturday that they have slapped an entry ban on the former Thai premier and his wife Pojaman.

Thaksin last month was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for conflict of interest after helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was prime minister.

The reasons for the British government's decision remain unclear, but there appear to be a number of countries willing to take Thaksin.

"We don't have to be concerned about Thaksin and his family," the Thai-language Matichon newspaper quoted Pracha Prosobdee, a member of the ruling pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP), as saying.

"There are the Bahamas and several countries in Africa and around the world that will gladly welcome high-quality people like him."

The Nation newspaper quoted an unnamed source from the PPP saying Thaksin was building a 300-million-baht ($8.5-million) mansion in China, where he and his wife might take up residence if Britain is indeed off the cards.

The English-language paper also mentioned the Bahamas, and said the couple had been offered honorary citizenship there.

The Bangkok Post's Sunday edition quoted an unnamed source as saying that the couple were currently in China. Last week, the paper reported that Bolivia was considering offering Thaksin a post as an economic advisor.

Somchai, Thaksin's brother-in-law, however remained tight-lipped about his relative's plans.

"The revoking of the visas is the decision by the government of Great Britain – we cannot criticize," he said, but refused to say whether he planned to meet up with Thaksin on his trip today to Manila.

The Public Relations Department of Thailand said Somchai has planned to officially visit the Philippines "in response to the invitation sent by the Philippines's President, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, in order to tighten up relations between both countries."

-------------------------------------------

Later in the afternoon, an update was posted that the PH government is not granting asylum to Thaksin as it fears being criticized by the foes of Pres. Arroyo.

Inspite of the proximity of the Philippines to Thailand, many Filipinos are not aware of what is happening to Thailand. :o

Today, the same newspaper published this news:

-------------------------------------

GMA, Thai PM hold bilateral talks; no mention of Thaksin asylum

By Paolo Romero

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 <a name="p0">President Arroyo and Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat held talks yesterday at Malacañang on pursuing greater regional cooperation to address the global economic crisis.

There was no mention in the meeting of the reported bid of ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra to seek political asylum in the Philippines, but Malacañang said he would be turned away if he makes such a request.

Somchai’s seven-hour visit came on the eve of the crucial meeting of the ASEAN+3 where the regional bloc would try to finalize the amount and the mechanics of disbursing the proposed multi-billion dollar standby facility for distressed financial institutions in the region.

ASEAN+3 comprises the 10 member-states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations plus dialogue partners China, Japan and South Korea.

Somchai arrived in Manila at 3 p.m. and was met by Vice President Noli de Castro at the Villamor Air Base in Pasay City. He laid a wreath at the Rizal Monument in Luneta Park. The Thai delegation then proceeded to the Manila Hotel.

Somchai arrived at the Palace grounds at 5:45 p.m. and was accorded honors by members of the Presidential Security Group.

The two leaders met for about 40 minutes at the Music Room and were later joined by Cabinet officials from both sides.

In her speech at the state dinner tendered in honor of Somchai, Mrs. Arroyo said ASEAN members are counting on the leadership of Thailand, which currently chairs the regional alliance, in pursuing a cooperative financial program to address the crisis.

She pointed out that Somchai called on the ASEAN leaders during the Asia-Europe Summit in Beijing, China last month “to come together to seek a common ground on ways to coordinate assistance for our economies just as our countries have done so on so many other important issues.”

“All eyes are on the global stock market but under your leadership, ASEAN does not lose sight of the often unseen impact of global economic crisis on the long-term needs of the poor,” the President said.

She noted that ASEAN wants to insulate the region from the global economic crisis “in a way that puts the poor ahead of the rich and powerful.”

“And we’re doing this in a way that offers a global solution to a global challenge,” she said.

“We all agree that we must instill confidence in our market economies. But we must also take action to provide hope to those who need it most,” Mrs. Arroyo said.

She said it was clear to ASEAN economies, under Thailand’s leadership, “that coordinated action among nations is the better path than going it alone.”

“We count on Thailand to champion the cry of the poor as we work together to counter the global financial crisis,” she said.

Mrs. Arroyo said past “mistakes” have strengthened the Philippine financial system although measures have to be put in place to make it weather the present crisis.

Somchai was expected to leave at 10 last night.

No place for Thaksin

Presidential spokesman Jesus Dureza told ANC that Thaksin “will be courteously informed that he will not be received here.”

The Foreign Affairs department has not officially received any request from the multi-millionaire Thaksin, who is now in search of a refuge after the British government revoked his entry visa.

Speculation over Thaksin’s possible move to the Philippines has heightened because of Somchai’s scheduled meeting with Mrs. Arroyo. Somchai is Thaksin’s brother-in-law.

Last month, Thaksin was sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for conflict of interest after helping his wife buy state-owned land when he was prime minister.

The Philippines and Thailand established diplomatic relations in 1949.

Thailand is hosting the annual ASEAN summit in Chiang Mai in December.

----------------------------------------------

It is up to you to read between the lines of diplomat-speak what actually was discussed or the real purpose of the visit, if there was. The visit seems unscheduled or at least Pres. Arroyo had to delay her US trip yesterday to be here for Somchai's quick visit. The front page has a picture of the two heads of state.

FYI

When Thaksin was at the helm, he actively distributed lots of money to tambons - each time was a great photo-op and the locals loved him for it. They still do. Once in awhile he would give a 1,000 baht bill to some little old lady dressed in rags, and make sure the cameras were rolling at that time.

What the rural poor still haven't figured out is, it wasn't Thaksin's personal money he was handing out (ok, maybe the 1,000 baht notes were), but it was government and/or lottery money*. Thaksin was such a big shot that he never cared to go through gov't channels to distribute money to projects, he'd much rather just take highly publicized trips (to regions which gave him the highest voting majorities) - and hand the money out like it was his own.

*There was a 3-man troika in charge of handling lottery proceeds, and (surprise!) Thaksin was at its helm. It's not stretch to perceive of him taking bucketloads of those proceeds and doing what the heck he wanted with it.

Thaksin threatens to name all his enemies

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, has threatened to spell out the names of all his political foes, saying: "They've pushed me into a corner."

Thaksin said he would continue to fight back against his enemies.

"I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names, because they have pushed me into a corner," he said.

Thaksin appeared in Beijing yesterday and denied a local news report he would head for Manila. But he would not say where his next destination would be, as he can no longer return to London. "I'll keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at this moment," he said.

At the same time, INN said television station ZNS Bahamas reported Prime Minister Hubert Ingram was preparing to consult with his Foreign Ministry, public prosecutors, and other senior officials over the possibility of assisting Thaksin.

Ingram was quoted as saying he did not know Thaksin's whereabouts and was not happy with the UK's decision to revoke Thaksin's visa.

Earlier local press reports also speculated Thaksin might seek exile in China's capital, because he was reportedly building a Bt300-million mansion at a golf resort. But Thaksin denied he was planning to reside in Beijing.

The UK Home Office's decision to deny Thaksin a re-entry visa has dealt a severe blow to the ex-PM, who now does not have a credible home base from which to stage a political comeback. The Home Office so far has not given any reason for revoking the visas of Thaksin and his wife.

But the UK's move has put the Somchai Wongsawat government in a more embarrassing position, because Thaksin is still travelling on a red diplomatic passport even though he is now considered a convicted fugitive who has also jumped bail.

Somchai refused to answer questions on the issue of Thaksin's red passport, saying it was not that important.

"We should be focusing on economic issues. Other matters can wait or let them go first. The passport is not a big matter. The big issue is the livelihood of Thais," he said.

Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said his ministry would not ask the UK government why it had decided to keep Thaksin out, because such was the right of each country. He said the ministry and the Office of the Attorney-General would work together to seek Thaksin's extradition.

"It won't be too difficult to find him, because he's a famous person," Sompong said.

British Ambassador Quinton Quayle yesterday met with Sompong to discuss bilateral relations, but declined to elaborate on why the UK had revoked Thaksin's visa. Quayle said the UK respected Thailand's democratic principles and did not side with any party.

Thaksin, who had been living near London after he and his wife, Pojaman, jumped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he had scrapped his British asylum application to be free to carry on with his political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I didn't think it necessary. I don't like the term 'asylum'. I want freedom, because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," Thaksin said.

The Nation / Nov 11, 2008

Thaksin joins UK's dubious list

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will join animal rights extremists, preachers of hatred, suspected terrorism advocates, lifestyle gurus, and rappers as people unwanted in England.

While the real reason behind the revocation of Thaksin and his wife Pojaman's visas by UK's Home Office last week has not been revealed, but 10 days before that, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said a "presumption in favour of exclusion" policy is being introduced to make it easier to prevent extremists from entering the UK, the BBC website reported.

Smith said it would now be up to the individual concerned to prove they would not "stir up tension" in the UK.

"Through these tough new measures I will stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country," she said. "Coming to the UK is a privilege and I refuse to extend that privilege to individuals who abuse our standards and values to undermine our way of life," she said.

According to the BBC website, a total of 230 people have been prevented from entering the UK since 2005, as their presence was deemed not to be "conducive to the public good." Those excluded include religious extremists, neo-Nazis, and animal rights activists. About 80 of those barred have been so-called "preachers of hate."

Smith announced that for the first time a list of the names of those excluded is now to be published and shared with other countries.

Among those refused entry is Lebanon-based cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, the former head of the now-disbanded group al-Muhajiroun, which gained notoriety for praising the 9/11 hijackers. In 2005 the then Home Secretary Charles Clarke used existing powers to exclude Mohammed as his presence was "not conducive to the public good". Other preachers to have raised the ire of the authorities include Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, from the US, and Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who lives in Qatar.

In February 2008 Muslim cleric al-Qaradawi was refused a visa, because the Home Office said the UK would not tolerate the presence of those who sought to justify acts of terrorist violence. The Egyptian-born cleric was described at the time as "dangerous and divisive" by Conservative leader David Cameron.

The Guardian reports that a month later a member of Israel's Likud Party was refused entry by current Home Secretary Jacqui Smith in relation to "unacceptable behaviour" on a visit to the UK in 2005. It was feared the presence of Moshe Feiglin might have lead to inter-community violence because of his strident views.

A long-term ban against Louis Farrakhan had been in place for a number of years when he failed in 2002 to have it overturned by going through the courts. Then Home Secretary David Blunkett said that a visit from the Nation of Islam leader, who had apparently described whites as devils, Jews as bloodsuckers, and Hitler as a great man, would threaten public order.

But the exclusions have not just been directed at religious extremists - in 2004 Blunkett wrote to US animal rights activist Dr Jerry Vlasak, who had reportedly incited violence against vivisectionists, to say he would not be allowed into the UK.

Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg are also among those from the US to have been denied entry to the UK. The American lifestyle guru and the rapper had been convicted of crimes, which formed the basis of their exclusions. Stewart, who served five months in a US jail in 2004 for lying to investigators about a share sale, was denied visa in June this year.

- The Nation / Nov 11, 2008

"There are the Bahamas and several countries in Africa and around the world that

will gladly welcome high-quality people like him."

Close to 200 countries world wide, and now it's down to only a few like in Africa or island tax dodge states.

Most countries would gladly take a high quality INVESTMENT portfolio like HIS to tax at their expected rate,

IF he didn't come attached to it.

Most countries, not of the Tinpot Dictator type, won't want to touch him with someone else's tax rate.

It's sort of funny/ironic,

he's now an exile because he refused to pay fair taxes, to the point of cheating egregiously,

now the only thing that can buy him a hidy hole will be paying BIG taxes somewhere.

QUALITY people, real quality, oh yeah!

Seems Thaksin and Potty have traded their Forbes listing

for an INTERPOL listing. Quite a step up!

Edited by animatic

Chile - No go

Serbia - No go

Mexico - No go

Canada - No go

Cameroon - No go

Togo - GO THAKKY GO.....

Lessons for Thaksin from deposed leaders

After the government of United Kingdom canceled the visas of former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Pojaman, the media have been reporting on where the couple might set up home next.

Reports have been saying that the couple might decide to settle in China, Bolivia, African states, and even in the Philippines. The Department of Foreign Affairs, however, said that the Philippines has not received an asylum application from the former prime minister.

Thaksin, however, may found it hard to seek political asylum because of global treaties that makes it harder for corrupt leaders facing charges in their home countries to find states that would accommodate them as political exiles. Among these treaties are the United Nations Convention against Corruption, which contains provisions on extradition, transfer of sentenced persons, and recovery of stolen assets.

Thaksin has been on self-imposed exile in Britain since he was ousted from power by a military coup in 2006. He was found guilty of corruption and was sentenced to two years in prison for violating rules on conflict of interest. His wife, meanwhile, is found guilty of tax evasion.

Latest reports have been saying that Thaksin is traveling across Asia and—just like other high-ranking officials facing charges in their own countries—may seek political asylum in other countries.

In recent years, some leaders and high ranking government officials accused of wrongdoings in their countries have been extradited or deported to their home countries to face charges filed against them. Based on news reports and our research, ABS-CBN News made a list of some of the well-known cases of foreign leaders and government officials who have been sent to their home countries or placed under the custody of international courts to face the charges against them. Among these leaders and government officials were as follow:

Alberto Fujimori, Peru

Fujimori was elected for a third term in 2000, amid allegations of vote rigging. A bribery scandal involving former intelligence chief Vladimiro Montesino forced him to flee to Japan and go on an imposed self-exile for five years. In November 2005, he went to Chile, where he was arrested by Peruvian authorities. He is facing charges of death squad killings of 25 people, illegal wiretapping charges, illegal detention of a journalists and businessman, corruption. The Chilean Supreme Court approved Peru’s request for extradition.

Radovan Karadzic, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Karadzic declared himself as the head of state of the independent Serbian Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992. He is facing charges of genocide at the International Court of Justice in the Hague in connection with the massacre of 8,000 Muslims in 1995. He was removed from power in 1995. He was arrested in Serbia and was extradited last July to the Hague.

Alfonso Portillo, Guatemala

Portillo was president of Guatemala from 2000 to 2004. He is facing corruption charges for the disappearance of $15 million fund for his country’s defense department. Portillo fled to Mexico when he lost his immunity from prosecution when his term ended. The Mexican Supreme Court ruled on October 2008 that he should be extradited to Guatemala.

Boris Sustar, Slovenia

A former deputy economics minister, Sustar was convicted of receiving kickbacks from companies in exchange for assisting them in getting loans from the economics ministry. He fled the country before he was convicted, but he was arrested in Canada in 2007. Bustar was turned over to Slovenian authorities.

Charles Taylor, Liberia

Taylor rose to power in 1997 after the end of civil war in Liberia. On March 7, 2003, the Special Court for Sierra Leone charged him with crimes against humanity. Three months later, the a United Nations justice tribunal issued a warrant of arrest against Taylor. The UN said the Liberian leader founded and supported Sierra Leone rebels, who are accused of using child soldiers. Taylor resigned on August 2003, following calls for him to step down from power. He then went to Nigeria, whose government had offered him a safe exile. Three years later, the Liberian government requested for Taylor’s extradition. The Nigerian government released Taylor to appear on the Sierra Leone court but not to extradite him to Liberia. Taylor disappeared from his house in Nigeria but was arrested while he was trying to cross the border of Cameroon. He was then brought to UN custody.

ABS-CBN News (Philippines) / 2008-11-11

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin joins UK's dubious list

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will join animal rights extremists, preachers of hatred, suspected terrorism advocates, lifestyle gurus, and rappers as people unwanted in England.

Yes, I agree, rap music has had it's day now. :o

and now we know why....

Thaksin's visa revoked because of his jail term : UK Foreign Secretary

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said UK decided to revoke entry visa for ex-Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife because Thai court sentenced him to two years in jail.

Miliband said UK Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the decision on grounds that Thaksin is sentenced to two years in jail on corruption charges.

Thai court sentenced ousted ex-PM Thaksin to two years in jail after finding him guilty of abusing of power in his wife's purchasing of Ratchadapisek land.

Miliband was quoted as saying that the decision was made because the situation surrounding Thaksin has changed particularly after the Thai court sentenced him in absentia to two years in jail. Miliban was speaking during his visit to Sarajevo.

- The Nation / 2008-11-11

When Thaksin was at the helm, he actively distributed lots of money to tambons - each time was a great photo-op and the locals loved him for it. They still do. Once in awhile he would give a 1,000 baht bill to some little old lady dressed in rags, and make sure the cameras were rolling at that time.

What the rural poor still haven't figured out is, it wasn't Thaksin's personal money he was handing out (ok, maybe the 1,000 baht notes were), but it was government and/or lottery money*. Thaksin was such a big shot that he never cared to go through gov't channels to distribute money to projects, he'd much rather just take highly publicized trips (to regions which gave him the highest voting majorities) - and hand the money out like it was his own.

*There was a 3-man troika in charge of handling lottery proceeds, and (surprise!) Thaksin was at its helm. It's not stretch to perceive of him taking bucketloads of those proceeds and doing what the heck he wanted with it.

Exactly. There was a very large item on BBC World in the Asian segment today, reporting on Taksin's being denied entry to virtually every country there is, bit same same Gary Glitter :o . And there was Jonathan Head again (what is it with him?) reporting from Bangkok that Taksin is in effect, some Robin Hood figure, much loved by great swathes of the population, most notably the north and northeast (yes, well there are poor all over the country Jonathan, why don't they like him?). concluding with the remark that perhaps he could come back to Thailand in some other role, maybe as a fundraiser :D:D Mr Head's seriously suggesting he could become an NGO?!

His coverage of the Taksin saga is taking on Fox News proportions, no mention of the killings, shady land deals, the murderous proxy Samak, handpicked by Taksin, not to mention the bunch of thugs who make up the current 'Government', again handpicked by him.

I've written to the BBC twice (and was once contacted by them for my opinion just after his conviction), to ask for a bit more balance on this, but it seems, to no avail. So if any of you happen to be passing the FCC in Bangkok, please do pop in and have a word in his shell like.

PS: For those of you still under the impression that the PAD are a bunch of right wing fascists who, if they had their way, would ban all farang from Thailand, if you weren't here at the time, or your memory's failing you, Taksin whipped up more anti foreigner fervour in his first year in office (constant changing of visa rules, proposals to increase hugely visa fees, the implementation of the 90 day reporting, albeit it had been on the law books before, but never implemented until Taksin decreed it should be strictly adhered to), than any of the ballyhoo regards the Khmer temple. Many expats were leaving in Phuket and the local Thais were very concerned at the time that all their businesses, being hugely dependent on the foreign community here, would be badly effected. So if we're talking about xenophobia, better Mr Head's dream of Taksin's glorious return does not materialise.

Edited by jitagon

Thaksin may phone-in at next Truth Today

Government Spokesman and UDD leading member Nattawut Saikua said on Tuesday that he and Payom Kalayano, the abbot of Suan Kaew Temple, had discussed the preparation for holding a mobile "Truth Today" political talk show. Nattawut said the event is expected to be held on November 23 and the show would not be as animated as the one organised at Rajamangala National Stadium on November 1 because the temple is a holy place. Another UDD member and PPP MP Jatuporn Promphan, as one of the hosts of the Truth Today programme, said ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra can make phone-in speeches to his supporters on every show. The pro-government group may organise mobile political talk shows at different provinces in the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131952

Thaksin may phone-in at next Truth Today

Government Spokesman and UDD leading member Nattawut Saikua said on Tuesday that he and Payom Kalayano, the abbot of Suan Kaew Temple, had discussed the preparation for holding a mobile "Truth Today" political talk show. Nattawut said the event is expected to be held on November 23 and the show would not be as animated as the one organised at Rajamangala National Stadium on November 1 because the temple is a holy place. Another UDD member and PPP MP Jatuporn Promphan, as one of the hosts of the Truth Today programme, said ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra can make phone-in speeches to his supporters on every show. The pro-government group may organise mobile political talk shows at different provinces in the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131952

Threatening to heat it all up a bit and hoping for some kind of deal. Thaksin's position has weakened somewhat which may make a deal possible depending on how his powerful enemies feel. Whether Thaksin really will go to effective war against his opponents or more to the question whether all his current allies will stay with him if he goes down this road remains moot, but as a bargaining chip it is pretty powerful.

The Gen. Panlop as deputy PM in charge of security is an interesting rumour and if true would maybe indicate another round of take the government over from within or bodysnatching. The PAD for UDD and assorted allies proposal is already out there. If there is any truth in the Panlop rumour it will be interesting to watch what his classmate Chamlong does. There have long been rumours of a Sondhi-Chamlong split, and the PAD without Chamlong would be a lot more exposed in terms of what could be done against it. Interesting times but it is all just guess work really.

One of the problems is that the sitution in the country has become so divisive that it's quite hard for people to change sides. Sondhi and Thaksin have made this a very personal fight. For Sondhi it's been a long-lasting vendetta, but now for Thaksin who is out of power, it's becoming quite hateful. Sides have been taken and battle lines drawn, so to speak.

United Nations Convention against Corruption

Convention highlights

Prevention

Corruption can be prosecuted after the fact, but first and foremost, it requires prevention. An entire chapter of the Convention is dedicated to prevention, with measures directed at both the public and private sectors. These include model

preventive policies, such as the establishment of anticorruption bodies and enhanced transparency in the financing of election campaigns and political parties.

States must endeavour to ensure that their public services are subject to safeguards that promote efficiency, transparency and recruitment based on merit.

Once recruited, public servants should be subject to codes of conduct, requirements for financial and other disclosures, and appropriate disciplinary measures.

Transparency and accountability in matters of public finance must also be promoted, and specific requirements are established for the prevention of corruption, in the particularly critical areas of the public sector, such as the judiciary and public procurement.

Those who use public services must expect a high standard of conduct from their public servants.

Preventing public corruption also requires an effort from all members of society at large.

For these reasons, the Convention calls on countries to

promote actively the involvement of non-governmental and community-based organizations,

as well as other elements of civil society, and

to raise public awareness of corruption and what can be done about it.

Article 5 of the Convention enjoins each State Party to establish and promote effective practices aimed at the prevention of corruption.

Criminalization

The Convention requires countries to establish criminal and other offences to cover a wide range of acts of corruption, if these are not already crimes under domestic law. In some cases, States are legally obliged to establish offences; in other cases, in order to take into account differences in domestic law, they are required to consider doing so.

The Convention goes beyond previous instruments of this kind,

criminalizing not only basic forms of corruption such as bribery and the embezzlement of public funds,

but also trading in influence and the concealment and laundering of the proceeds of corruption.

Offences committed in support of corruption, including money-laundering and obstructing justice, are also dealt with.

Convention offences also deal with the problematic areas of private-sector corruption.

International cooperation

Countries agreed to cooperate with one another in every aspect of the fight against corruption,

including prevention, investigation, and the prosecution of offenders.

Countries are bound by the Convention to

render specific forms of mutual legal assistance in gathering and transferring evidence for use in court,

to extradite offenders.

Countries are also required to undertake measures which will support the tracing, freezing, seizure and confiscation of the proceeds of corruption.

Asset recovery

In a major breakthrough, countries agreed on asset-recovery, which is stated explicitly as a fundamental principle of the Convention.

This is a particularly important issue for many developing countries where high-level corruption has plundered the national wealth, and where resources are badly needed for reconstruction and the rehabilitation of societies under new governments.

Reaching agreement on this chapter has involved intensive negotiations, as the needs of countries seeking the illicit assets had to be reconciled with the legal and procedural safeguards of the countries whose assistance is sought.

Several provisions specify how cooperation and assistance will be rendered.

In particular, in the case of embezzlement of public funds, the confiscated property would be returned to the state requesting it; in the case of proceeds of any other offence covered by the Convention, the property would be returned providing the proof of ownership or recognition of the damage caused to a requesting state; in all other cases, priority consideration would be given to the return of confiscated property to the requesting state, to the return of such property to the prior legitimate owners or to compensation of the victims.

Effective asset-recovery provisions will support the efforts of countries to redress the worst effects of corruption while sending at the same time, a message to corrupt officials that there will be no place to hide their illicit assets.

Accordingly, article 51 provides for the return of assets to countries of origin as a fundamental principle of this Convention.

Article 43 obliges state parties to extend the widest possible cooperation to each other in the investigation and prosecution of offences defined in the Convention.

With regard to asset recovery in particular, the article provides inter alia that

"In matters of international cooperation, whenever dual criminality is considered a requirement, it shall be deemed fulfilled irrespective of whether the laws of the requested State Party place the offence within the same category of offence or denominate the offence by the same terminology as the requesting State Party, if the conduct underlying the offence for which assistance is sought is a criminal offence under the laws of both States Parties".

I think this says; Felony or misdemeanor, political or civil,

makes no difference the 'catagory' if the crime is still a crime where they FIND the perpetrator.

So can Tacky find a tinpot country that

a ) doesn't subscribe to the UN convention

b ) doesn't have his crimes on the books.

You can scream all you want about things like PAD and elites. bla bla bla.

But they are saying the same things as the UN vs TRT/PPP/Pue Thai et al

and the rampant crony corruption as a modus operandi of Thai politics.

Somchai is quite in the wrong on several counts too. Obstruction of justice fits.

Thaksin is just on the wrong side of history, but his ego has yet to

let the reality of it all sink in.

Edited by animatic

Police Captain Chalerm had been quiet recently....

Chalerm affirms no government assistance given to Thaksin

The Public Health Minister stated today that the government has never abused its governance power, nor attempted to assist the ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra’s extradition case, whilst also affirming that the government does not want to get involved and rather leave the matter in hand of judicial system.

Police Captain Chalerm Yoobamlung, the Public Health Minister, admitted to have a close relationship with the ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, but denied his involvement with the ousted PM’s extradition case.

Police Captain Chalerm then urged all sides to grasp on the reasons why the government has not been actively requesting other countries to extradite Thaksin.

Indeed, one of which is because the government does not have the authority to do so. Therefore, the government has left this matter to be handled in the Court of Law.

Police Captain Chalerm also expressed his personal belief that Thaksin’s actions, which subsequently led to his 2 years imprisonment sentence, are not illegal as compared to the international law.

Also, Thailand is the only country that has laws restraining politicians’ actions.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-10

==========================================================================

Chalerm : Thaksin has rights for second phone-in

Minister of Public Health Police Captain Chalerm Yubamrung indicated that Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra has legal rights to give his second phone-in political interview, insisting he has not yet learned the former premier's plan to return to Thailand around the end of this year.

However, the Minister of Public Health said today Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin’s return was not extraordinary, since he was a Thai citizen.

Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin earlier said that he would join in his second political phone-in to a rally supporting him in Thailand with a longer speech, adding he would name his political foes as he claimed that he was cornered politically.

Police Captain Chalerm expressed support for the former Prime Minister for his second phone-in interview because he had been one-sided attacked, especially by the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), so the former premier has rights to defend himself.

Police Captain Chalerm also suggested the country’s reconciliation needed the two sides to cooperate between each other, not just one party.

The Minister of Public Health said he was unaware of the time Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin returning to Thailand.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-11

Edited by sriracha john

Exiled Thaksin vows fightback against Thai enemies

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," Thaksin said.

The billionaire telecoms tycoon said he would address supporters at future rallies

"I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names because they have pushed me into a corner," he said.

Speaking from Beijing the exiled former leader said he would continue to fight against his political enemies at home in Thailand.

Thaksin said that he would be free to resume political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," he said.

PM declines to respond to Thaksin's comments

The Prime Minister has declined to comment on former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's declaration to resist efforts of legal action against him, choosing to speak on the threat of unemployment instead.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-11

Ah,

so the government doesn't have the authority to request extradition of criminals??

Chalerm is in the government, and is a policeman...

and doesn't know that it IS the government that does this.

Clueless old gin-soak.

Edited by animatic

Opposition Leader Calls for Former Premier to Serve Jail Term

The Opposition has called for former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand to serve the jail sentence handed down by the Supreme Court's Office for Political Post Holders.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has called for former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand to serve his 2 year jail sentence handed down a month ago by the Supreme Court's division for political post holders.

There are also reports that the People Power Party is in the process of gathering supporters of Thaksin to welcome him home sometime in December.

- TOC / 2008-11-11

Thaksin quits golf association

BANGKOK - THAILAND'S ousted and exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has resigned as Chairman of the country's Professional Golf Association, its Secretary-General said on Tuesday.

Torphong Chaiyasan said the former premier, thought to be staying in China after Britain cancelled his visa last weekend, resigned to prevent a conflict between sport and politics.

"He has been politically attacked and he does not want politics to interfere with sport," Torphong told AFP.

Thaksin took on the chairmanship in May 2007 and his term was not due to end until April 2009. He said Thaksin's resignation had upset members of the PGA's Board but insisted the twice-elected multi-millionaire would continue to advise them.

- AFP / 2008-11-11