Comfortable Desk And Chair

thedi

I am looking for a comfortable chair to sit and work on (computer). Maybe together with a desk.

Not a cheap affair which will give me a sore arse and will break down under my 100 kg within a week. It should be comfortable. I want to be able to put my legs under the desk without squeezing - farang size. I am willing to pay an adequate price for it.

It does not have to be impressive. But it should be comfortable, solid, if there are drawers, they should be gliding smoothly ... just the contrary of what I have now: the desk is to low to put my legs under the center drawer of the desk, the drawers are hard to open and then tend to come out all the way, the plastic of chair is to flexible for may weight, the chairs leg threaten to break when I do not sit orderly and center my weight carefully ... I guess most of you know what I talk about.

Now I want something better. Where should I look for it - in or near Khon Kaen?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thedi

I am looking for a comfortable chair to sit and work on (computer). Maybe together with a desk.

Not a cheap affair which will give me a sore arse and will break down under my 100 kg within a week. It should be comfortable. I want to be able to put my legs under the desk without squeezing - farang size. I am willing to pay an adequate price for it.

It does not have to be impressive. But it should be comfortable, solid, if there are drawers, they should be gliding smoothly ... just the contrary of what I have now: the desk is to low to put my legs under the center drawer of the desk, the drawers are hard to open and then tend to come out all the way, the plastic of chair is to flexible for may weight, the chairs leg threaten to break when I do not sit orderly and center my weight carefully ... I guess most of you know what I talk about.

Thedi

If I remember correctly, there's a "ModernForm" shop in Khon Kaen (along the National Highway 2 on the left side of Mittraphap road when you come from Udon Thani on the way to Khorat). Their furniture are usually nice and comfortable, but certainly not cheap.

Edited by Goyave

If I remember correctly, there's a "ModernForm" shop in Khon Kaen (along the National Highway 2 on the left side of Mittraphap road when you come from Udon Thani on the way to Khorat). Their furniture are usually nice and comfortable, but certainly not cheap.

Thanks, I will take a look there.

Any other insider tips?

Regards

Thedi

I am looking for a comfortable chair to sit and work on (computer).

Only one way to go. Buy a steel framed office chair. Forget the plastic armrests, steel... The wheels will be the weak link. So adjust to the height you want then apply epoxy glue to the wheel unit and the chair frame before the threads bugger up. Forget gas lifts unless you like the inevitable sinking feeling, get one with a metal threaded height adjustment, yes by turning the seat around. I got lucky and found one in a local market 900 baht, you will probably be best of going of an office supply shop.

Maybe together with a desk....

I want to be able to put my legs under the desk without squeezing - farang size......

It does not have to be impressive. But it should be comfortable, solid, if there are drawers, they should be gliding smoothly ...

Two sorts in most Thai shops.

1. MDF or particle board crap that will absorb moisture faster than any sponge and look like a banana within a month or two. Dont bother, unless disassemble it, glue it together and add some stiffening ribs to stop it sagging.

2. "Craftsman Made" from solid timber. Usually made from green red wood and will warp. The joinery is bad and will fall apart as the rubbish glue most use is also expected to fill the huge gaps in the joins. The talcum powder and PVC filler used to fill blemishes will crack and fall out and the vanish will peel off. The drawers will distort and the runners are cheap and the plastic wheels will fall off the rivets that hold them together when you try to open the bent drawers. Expensive crap that doesn't grow old gracefully, leave them where they are, too bloody heavy to lift anyway.

Sorry I'm in Sisaket can't help with that one.

I would suggest that you get yourself a decent desk plan with a cutting list and go buy the timber, then either build it yourself or have it made. If in doubt, buy timber from the house salvage yards not the new lumber yards. It is old and seasoned and if straight now is now likely to move much. You can get it machined down at any woodworking shop for next to nothing. If budget or time constraints are an issue then consider using decent 19mm solid ply. A single 8' x 4' sheet will give you most of the timber you will need. Use a good quality oil based timber finish, like ICI external finish for doors, many light brush coats (50% thinner) and cut back to get a decent finish.

Stores like Home Pro have ball bearing drawer runners and a reasonable range of latches and locks.

I build my own furniture for all the reasons above, plus it is a hobby of mine. I have a simple ply sheet with a 2x1" frame that is screwed to the wall for my workstation. There are only the front legs to maneouver around, those I cut out of an old door frame. A simple routed timber edge around the desk top improves the finish. It is a step away from the mission style of stuff I usually make from teak but adequate.

Isaanaussie

Thedi: A sturdy good quality desk chair is not a cheap purchase in Thailand. The Makro chair broke quick and I just have not been willing to pay the prices I have seen for sturdy chairs so far. Maybe someday a GOOD copy of the Herman Miller AERON CHAIR www.aeronchair.com will be available in Thailand. For now, in Thailand, a chair of that quality is huge money in my book!!

Getting a custom built desk with Hafele full suspension glides on any drawer or keyboard tray is easy and modest in cost in Thailand. I ordered two extra square meters of kitchen counter Granite cut to shape with a cable hole in the top and the edges smoothed by the same Village man who installed our kitchen granite counter tops and built our kitchen concrete counter frames. He worked with the talented carpenter who had a team build all of our kitchen and bathroom wooden drawers and doors. This same WOOD team also did the wood work at "Book and Bed" restaurant in Buriram, but not the granite work at Book and Bed.

The carpenter made the wood legs to support the large granite desk top and Hafele full suspension keyboard drawer. He had already installed custom built (in our garage) office drawers, cabinets and shelves. This attractive wood work also hid our first floor D Square electric panel.

Cost built to order for the desk in the photos: Granite two square meters 5000 baht Wood, Hafele, Labor to build the legs and sliding door including stain 3000 baht 1000 baht for the "Moon cut" hole cut and 360 degree smoothing by the kitchen counter man. Total cost 9000 baht. At the Moon River Boat Race "furniture show" was some lame wood desk they were asking 25,000 baht (fantasy price???) this past weekend.

The desk design I had my building staff copy was based on the brochure I picked up in Bangkok of a GLASS TOP wood desk on sale at a major Chain of office equipment. The glass top version was listed at 49,990, but special discount price 34,990. I was happy to pay 9000 baht for the desk I use in Buriram and it was not scratched in shipment since it was made in our garage.

So in a City as large as where you live there must be Granite or another material you think is attractive, full suspension Hafele drawer gliders and EXPERIENCED, but not expensive Wood Craftsmen who will build to your specifications. Granite cutters must NOT be rare in Thailand. There certainly are less expensive Granite than 2500 per square meter suitable for a desk top.

The same Granite man for 100 baht each smoothed the "sink cut outs" you see in the photo laid on a veranda bench and in a photo with my wife and the Granite Desk top. The same wood staff man made the legs for little side tables from scrap wood, used decent white paint and charged me 100 baht per table. So for 200 baht each we have some nice side tables.

It has been my experience that Thai "craftsmen" can COPY a design or photo of what you need.

post-20604-1226132825_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1226132884_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1226132903_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1226132913_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1226132974_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1226133014_thumb.jpg

Reading your posts I now tend to go the 'do it yourself' route for the desk, but buy a chair.

BTW: I do not live in a big city - Khon Kaen is 50 km from our village.

Regards and many thanks for your detailled descriptions.

Thedi

Thedi: A sturdy good quality desk chair is not a cheap purchase in Thailand.....

It has been my experience that Thai "craftsmen" can COPY a design or photo of what you need.

Bob,

You got a good result by the looks of your photos and a reasonable price for the work you described. Well done.

Thedi,

Have fun making the desk. If your tool box isn't too full, remember woodscrews and glue are the strongest joint you can get. Buy a piece of dowel and plug the holes after you finish.

Isaanaussie

Seeing as how I am too dam_n big for most desk chairs i was very happ to find on at KONCEPT just down the street from the Bamboo Bar in Buriram. the chair has double wheels in each of the five legs .

I have had it for four months now and remain very happy. My Macro chair lasted less than nine months.

I think the cost was around 15-20K a bit expensive but well worth the cost to me. :o

There is a shop in Udon Thani that sells desks and chairs for executive offices. Good quality, strong and comfortable. They sell sets as well as desks and chairs separately. The stuff is made in China. End price for me in Udon was 35.000 Baht for a very stable desk and a very stable chair - I am over 100 kgs too.

The shop is just besides Udon Thani Global House and has a joint entrance and parking lot together with the Bobae Market there.

I attach a scan of their leaflet to show the kind of furniture to expect. Some desks are very much decorated but others are much more simple in design and less involuted. Transportation to Khon Kaen would not be a big problem or expensive.

post-17288-1226218431_thumb.jpg

I fluctuate between 90 -100 kilos, four years ago i bought my desk and chair from Koncept in Roi-et and they have been great. I can't remember how much the chair was, but i think about ฿3,000 and that was on sale. I have an apartment in Kalasin that I spend the weekdays at and i am using one of the steel chairs, no wheels, black in colour, you see them at government functions and schools, it works well also and i think costs from ฿1,000 to ฿1,500. Issangeorge.