Double Pricing

mrmazinkle

Hi there,Is there a pinned list here of all the different venues/sites that have double pricing and charges for farang.. so we can either avoid them,or,go and pay

farang price.I just went to Lumpini. boxing to price it...220 baht for Thai,and 1000 baht or 1500 baht for farang to go ringside only..and guess what ?1000 baht seats booked already.I apologise if this has already been done.....

Edited by mrmazinkle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,Is there a pinned list here of all the different venues/sites that have double pricing and charges for farang.. so we can either avoid them,or,go and pay

farang price.I just went to Lumpini. boxing to price it...220 baht for Thai,and 1000 baht or 1500 baht for farang to go ringside only..and guess what ?1000 baht seats booked already.I apologise if this has already been done.....

This subject has "been done" many times and occasionally people have talked about making "a list" and boycotting such places, but I don't think anything has materialised.

as i mentioned in a similar thread, in 13 years here I have never seen a pricing sign that quotes a "farang" (person of caucasian appearance) price, and I read thai script very well.

i have however seen many price signs that specify a "foreign tourist" or "foreigner" or "non thai resident" price.

note: i am talking about the advertisement of the prices, not the application of the advertisement, which as we all know can have its consistencies, more so at private non-government attractions.

as i mentioned in a similar thread, in 13 years here I have never seen a pricing sign that quotes a "farang" (person of caucasian appearance) price, and I read thai script very well.

i have however seen many price signs that specify a "foreign tourist" or "foreigner" or "non thai resident" price.

note: i am talking about the advertisement of the prices, not the application of the advertisement, which as we all know can have its consistencies, more so at private non-government attractions.

Why are you making such a big deal about the fact that the OP wrote "farang" and not "foreigner"? It is irrelevant.

We farangs are all foreigners so any sign that shows a higher foreigner price includes us farangs.

Why are you making such a big deal about the fact that the OP wrote "farang" and not "foreigner"? It is irrelevant.

We farangs are all foreigners so any sign that shows a higher foreigner price includes us farangs.

I'm another who thinks this is a bit of a red herring. Surely if the price list contained the word 'farang' it would also need to include 'แขก' (i.e. south Asian) and perhaps other categories too. Foreigner etc is less cumbersome. I have, however, heard the word farang used by sales staff on several occasions in these situations. I would say that dual pricing is quite a complex phenomenon with economics, xenophobia and greed all in there. Since there is no real equivalent to local government taxes, the practice of discounts for locals found in some Western countries does not seem to have a close parallel in Thailand. In most other situations in Western countries the practice would be illegal, and I think it is that, plus the fact that private companies as well as public bodies jump on the bandwagon, and the lack of transparency (writing in Thai script), that alienates most people. Which ever way you look at it, the policy has a cost to it in terms of hearts and minds which partly offsets the extra revenue earned. Pity the fair price website has folded.

Most Thai businesses in Thailand will try and double, treble and hype up their prices for the Farang.

Living here, it`s a case of keeping your wits about you, not believing anything they tell you and learning the average price of goods and services.

Speaking and understanding some basic Thai is an advantage to our survival here.

• 11 months later...

My rules about double pricing:

When I travel in Thailand with my Thai wife, I usually wear a Tshirt with the word :"farang keenok", in Thai writing. For the few readers here who do not know, it means: foreigner (who looks like) bird shit. It is the widely used term when Thai want so say something polite or neutral about us. I am still in discussion with my wife about Tshirts with the less polite terms. which I will not mention on this hiso forum.

Strangely enough, when I wear one of these Tshirts, most Thai seem inclined to offer better prices.

I try never to travel in areas with lots of tourists. I live since more than a year in Sa Kaeo province (beautiful this time of the year), but hardly any farang residents or tourists here. Never has anyone asked me a higher price. Last time I was in CNX somebody tried to charge me 35 THB for a small bottle of unchilled water. I gave him 10 and he agreed.

When I arrive at a Thai hotel or guesthouse, my wife goes first and asks for the price. I come in later and act as if I do not know her. When they tell me the price, I ask her what they charge her and suggest we share the room and the price. Success guaranteed.

In a National Park like Kao Yai or musem like Phimai, I pay the tourist price. Since I pay more, I expect extra service. Usually only a small part of the texts are translated in English. I try to find staff to answer all my questions. In Kao Yai I met a man who was extremely pleased with my curiosity and explained at length. In Phimai, I concluded that the staff was extremely good at giggling, bad at english and ignorant about Thai and Khmer history.

How difficult must it be for a country where tourism is in the top five industries, to have a small department where all texts, shown in national parks and musea, can be translated in understandable english? They could even accept entries from the public.

Here come two of my favorites:

Arboreturn (between Sai Dao and Sa Kaeo)

Lotary (between Khon Kaen and Udon Thani)

Regarding double pricing: in many places Japanese pay more than farang.

My dentist has a sign (in Thai) clearly outlining the difference in prices for locals and farang. We had a discussion about it once, and I got nowhere. However, as she's about the best dentist I've ever had, I continue to get all my work done there.

Since there is no real equivalent to local government taxes, the practice of discounts for locals found in some Western countries does not seem to have a close parallel in Thailand. In most other situations in Western countries the practice would be illegal, and I think it is that, plus the fact that private companies as well as public bodies jump on the bandwagon, and the lack of transparency (writing in Thai script), that alienates most people. Which ever way you look at it, the policy has a cost to it in terms of hearts and minds which partly offsets the extra revenue earned. Pity the fair price website has folded.

This is ridiculous. There is definitely in state and out of state pricing in the U.S. as well as tuition differences for residency and non residency for universities. I'd say that's a big dual pricing difference. In the case of Universities out of state/out of country tuition can be 3-4 times as much.

• 1 year later...

Residency for state pricing is based on where you live, work, and pay taxes; it is not based on the color of your skin or whether you have blonde hair, blue eyes, or a big "farang" nose.

You could live in Bangkok 20 years, have a work permit, pay taxes, or even naturalize and get a Thai passport. If you look white you still will be charged 1000+ baht to see Muay Thai boxing at Lumpini.

Since there is no real equivalent to local government taxes, the practice of discounts for locals found in some Western countries does not seem to have a close parallel in Thailand. In most other situations in Western countries the practice would be illegal, and I think it is that, plus the fact that private companies as well as public bodies jump on the bandwagon, and the lack of transparency (writing in Thai script), that alienates most people. Which ever way you look at it, the policy has a cost to it in terms of hearts and minds which partly offsets the extra revenue earned. Pity the fair price website has folded.

This is ridiculous. There is definitely in state and out of state pricing in the U.S. as well as tuition differences for residency and non residency for universities. I'd say that's a big dual pricing difference. In the case of Universities out of state/out of country tuition can be 3-4 times as much.

We was in the Uk last month. In Cambridge there is a church, called The Round Church, only a small place. Just outside the entrance to the Church was a sign stating no entrance fee for locals?

I know that a lot of people complain about this but when I go anywhere here that has an entrance fee, I show my Thai driving licence. If They still insist on Farang price. I just turn away.

jb1

Residency for state pricing is based on where you live, work, and pay taxes; it is not based on the color of your skin or whether you have blonde hair, blue eyes, or a big "farang" nose.

You could live in Bangkok 20 years, have a work permit, pay taxes, or even naturalize and get a Thai passport. If you look white you still will be charged 1000+ baht to see Muay Thai boxing at Lumpini.

Upon what are you basing this statement? Are you a farang naturalized Thai citizen? I happen to be, and I can tell you that your presumption is 100% incorrect. Thai ID card holders pay Thai price -- even if they have a big nose and white skin like I do.

It really bugs me when people bandy about such absolute rubbish.

Edited by Richard4849

perhaps this thread could be merged with every other thread about double charging/pricing, to save the same people having to re-type the same answers.

Is this forum an information site? in which case these endless bleat and whines provide just . . . what?

perhaps this thread could be merged with every other thread about double charging/pricing, to save the same people having to re-type the same answers.

Is this forum an information site? in which case these endless bleat and whines provide just . . . what?

Err information

I've found there to be more misinformation here than information. At least in the General forum.

I haven't seen any missinformation on this thread so rather than trying to live up to your Thai-ness why dont you start another thread telling everybody that NO conning or double pricing goe's on in Thailand .

Oh & Thailand doe's do it (2x pricing ) by race

Great example of the garbage one has to wade through to get to the few nuggets of useful information on this forum.

For the record, I never said there was no double pricing in Thailand (there is lots) and never defended it (I think it is abhorrent, at least when practiced by private businesses).

It's the terming it as "racist" that is dead wrong: the policy is based on nationality, not race in any way, shape, or form.

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.

Great example of the garbage one has to wade through to get to the few nuggets of useful information on this forum.

For the record, I never said there was no double pricing in Thailand (there is lots) and never defended it (I think it is abhorrent, at least when practiced by private businesses).

It's the terming it as "racist" that is dead wrong: the policy is based on nationality, not race in any way, shape, or form.

HAHA ,if it makes you happy then you think that way .

What you're not clear on is that the policy is one thing, the application of the policy another. It is definitely applied on a racial basis. For example, Filipinos who keep their mouths shut will not have to show any ID to avoid being charged the foreigner price--and will be charged the Thai price despite having no evidence of any Thailand residency or work permit. Another thread on this subject has some direct observations of exactly this practice. And we farang (the non-Thai-wannabes) find this a disgusting and reprehensible affront to our dignity. Got that now?

Quite right. It has nothing to do with racism.

What it is though is disgraceful and those that do practise double pricing should be ashamed of themselves. IMHO decent people just don't do this. Theres a very simple way to get around this one though.......just don't buy anything from these establishments and then one day the penny might drop. Either way, one should'nt tarnish everyone as the same, because its far from the case. The people at the places i buy my food etc would'nt dream of charging me more than a Thai.