Closed Down 14-16 November+?

goonerthegooner

This is one time the bars should be closed

As a mark of respect .

ect.

I disagree. One can respect while the bars are still open.

You would,

But closing the bars for a few days is the Thai way.

And so be it, have some respect. :o

So why should there be directives from above? It should be up to individual Thai establishment owners to show respect in their own way - if that means closing their bar/restaurant then fine - but, of course that wouldn't happen would it? The problem is that ethical values, consideration for others etc often comes second to profit - and that is why these things are never left to Thai individuals to make up their own mind - it has to be 'imposed'.

Edited by Tyke

I was at the bowling center upstairs at TOPS yesterday. They have been advertising a local bowling tournament for the past week or so to be held this Saturday night (15th). When I asked if the tournament will be rescheduled due to the royal funeral, they told me "no"; it would be held as scheduled. Maybe it will be held with no music or alcohol served and all of the participants will be required to wear black.

Banglamung district is distributing the papers on the weekend closure just now.

The 15th will be an outright closure, strangely enough apparently this includes restaurants!

So if I understand it well you are even not allowed to eat.If they cant win it with drying us out now they want to starve us to death.

Any definite news yet about closure of restaurants?

Planning a big birthday dinner in Bangkok and hope to have a bottle of wine with the food on the 15th?

Forget about it.

If the restaurant opens, it will be in a very subdued way, i.e. no music etc.

The government has asked to refrain from any festivities at all, to reflect the mourning the country is in.

It would be extremely disrespectful to insist on having a birthday party right now. You'd probably attract the wrath of lots of Thai people!

Thanks for the information. We just called a couple of restaurants (Friday evening) and they don't know.

For your information I am one farang amongst 10 Thais. They all want to have a nice dinner with steak and wine. Ok. We are ending up with me buying and cooking the steaks for them. THEY (Thais) are providing the wine. They are certainly not upset by drinking but they DO respect the situation.

I am in Patters at the moment inside TOPs on Pattaya Klang. Bars are lights out, no noise, but people are sitting there. I picked a good time to have a bit of the flu and not drinking for two days anyway.

Now if only the dam_n little business behind my hotel would not make music noise starting at 0730 every morning! It is so bad I have to leave the hotel and tomorrow wrestle with the hotel manager about canceling my one month "lease". I need my sleep.

If they want a tourist industry they have to stop all these closing days,am thinking mainly of the days they close for electoral voting.

They already have a healthy tourist industry. I doubt a few days of closure will be of any significance.

you are joking !...........close 1 day the day of cremation which i think is the 16th.up to them,but its no fun being a tourist and arriving and finding a 3 day closure,but i dont think the thai govt. really cares.

NO, I'm not joking.

If you happen to arrive on the 14th, then bad luck if you can't get a drink, but thinking these national events will adversely affect tourism is nonsense. You would expect that normal tourists would be respectful of national ceremonies in countries they visit...I hardly think they would boycott a country because of them. A lot of tourists visit foreign nations because they are interested in learning about other cultures.

Edited by tropo

Bars maybe CLOSE, nothing stopping you from find a beautiful BAR girl and off to your room for a drink or two(??) in other words be real CUT TO THE CHASE if you the DRIFT> :o:D

Good idea, except i just arrived in Pattaya and went over the Family Mart, and its dry, fridges covered up, was told Sunday open again. My first weekend off for six months and im stuffed.

Banglamung district is distributing the papers on the weekend closure just now.

Basically the 14th and the 16th bars can open, but no music, no lights on outside, properly dressed (black?) staff and no television apart from the cremation rites. Go go bars can open if they so wish but again no dancing or any entertainment allowed (so they'll probably don't bother opening).

The 15th will be an outright closure, strangely enough apparently this includes restaurants!

I know one of the local outdoor side street restaurants I go to about every day told me they are "closed" the 15th. Doors will be slightly ajar and they are having a barbecue inside. Not sure if that is for all customers or a Thai thing.

I might bring a few goodies back to my hotel tonight just in case I can't eat tomorrow. There is always the 22 baht pork hamburgers at 7-11?

just took a stroll down walking street to get some film developed (8:30pm) and it looks

like only about 50% of the bars/entertainment venues are observing the abstinence

request. i understand there is supposed to be a 3-day period showing respect for the

late princess, i rather expected them all to be closed but they're certainly not. the real

problem is that they had so many silly non-drinking holidays that when a formal occasion

presents itself, deserving of proper closings, of course everyone is going to be grumbling. :o

Bars maybe CLOSE, nothing stopping you from find a beautiful BAR girl and off to your room for a drink or two(??) in other words be real CUT TO THE CHASE if you the DRIFT> :o:D

Good idea, except i just arrived in Pattaya and went over the Family Mart, and its dry, fridges covered up, was told Sunday open again. My first weekend off for six months and im stuffed.

Booze for sale in every supermarket,i have just bought at best supermarket at 10 pm,but in carrefour and foodland also no restrictions.I was even told by a bar owner that they can serve alcohol today but not play music or switch on the lights.

hi,

whats the situation on bar closure tonight (last night of closures), as having mixed feedback on this one, being told

1. bars are closed all night, no go go bars no drink

2. bars are open drink no music no go go bars

3. bars open drink etc, music will start at 12 midnight

any enlightenment on this chaps?

cheers

I am in Patters at the moment inside TOPs on Pattaya Klang. Bars are lights out, no noise, but people are sitting there. I picked a good time to have a bit of the flu and not drinking for two days anyway.

Flu as welll, so only had a few drinks on Friday night, but stayed in bed on Saturday night. That's what I call good timing :-)

I saw the notice posted to bars around Jomtien on 13th (Dated 13th November) as translated to me " Keep low profile Fri 14th, close Sat 15th and Sun 16th same as Friday".

seemed reasonable to me but why could they not post this order two weeks or so in advance???