Residence Certificate

I need a Residence Certificate but I can't find any information about it on the Immigration Website other then the form itself. Do I have to go to Immigrations to submit the form or can it be mailed. If I have to go what is the procedure or if you can mail what is the procedure. Thanks in advance

I need a Residence Certificate but I can't find any information about it on the Immigration Website other then the form itself. Do I have to go to Immigrations to submit the form or can it be mailed. If I have to go what is the procedure or if you can mail what is the procedure. Thanks in advance

Residence certificates can be obtained at your Embassy (generally expensive) or at your immigration office (generally free)

Requirements vary from Embassy to Embassy and from immigration office to immigration office.

UK Embassy needs you to be registered with them, you simply state your adress in Thailand and they will supply you with a residence certificate with that address it is that simple but it cost over 3.000 baht !

Immigration can be very easy immediate and free (it is at Nan immigration in the North and in Kap Cheong in Isaan but there it can be 400 baht....

Residence certificates can be obtained at your Embassy (generally expensive) or at your immigration office (generally free)

Requirements vary from Embassy to Embassy and from immigration office to immigration office.

UK Embassy needs you to be registered with them, you simply state your adress in Thailand and they will supply you with a residence certificate with that address it is that simple but it cost over 3.000 baht !

Immigration can be very easy immediate and free (it is at Nan immigration in the North and in Kap Cheong in Isaan but there it can be 400 baht....

May also be able to get it from your local Amphur (district office). And under certain circumstances, you can get a YELLOW TAMBIENBAN from the amphur. See discussion of this at the "housing/property" forum.

Mac

• 3 years later...

Resurreting this old thread as I am looking to get a residency certificate tomorrow.

Is the information above still current?

Can I still get a residency certificate from my local immigration office?

I am a British citizen, 29 years old, Non-imm B Visa with WP.

If I can it would make the difference between a 30 second walk from work, or a very early 2 hour bus ride to Bkk, so please say yes!

Example Chonburi Immigration - Jomtien branche:

Take 2 pass photo's, copy of passport (all used pages), copy of any kind of invoice, bill or document showing your name and address.

Bring also the originals.

Fill in the form at the information desk near the entrance.

Get a number and after some time you're expected at counter #8.

They'll check the documents and the form.

Pay THB 200 per proof of address.

Come back in the afternoon or the next day to pick up the required document.

Validity (in case of purchase of motorbike, car) is 30 days.

Thanks for the responses.

I just got one from the Imm office in Chachoengsao; it's never really that busy and even with 10 people waiting I was asked what I was there for within 10 seconds of walking through the door.

I took 2 copies of a number of pages of my passport including photo page, visa, departure/arrival card, 90 day slip. 2 copies of my rental agreement. 2 copies of my work permit including 2 copies of the address page which were not used/needed. Plus 2 passport photos.

They gave me back a lot of that stuff, eventually using only 1 copy of the rental agreement in fact, though I did also provide the originals of everything for verification.

Since I didn't even have time to grab the form to fill in they took all the documents I had, went through them all to check them and filled in the forms themselves, only asking for my signature when it was all completed. It took about 25 minutes in total and cost me 300 baht. I didn't ask why it cost so much for something that is supposed to be free as they normally fast track our 90 days through within seconds of walking through the door most of the time, so they can be quite helpful. Though there is one guy in there that isn't, and seems to deliberately slow things down to assert authority. As to who that is I will not say on here and leave it to your imaginations...

Other than him I have nothing but praise for the guys working there, it is always quick, efficient and fair.

So, 2 copies of everything + 300 baht + 25 minutes and the certificate is handed to me. smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just tried getting a letter from Huay Kwang Ampur office and they won't give a letter.

So I went to Chang Watanna Immigration office. They won't give you one unless you have done 90 day reporting. So I said to them that I typically come in the country for 90 days and then return to my home country, and thus I never do 90 day reporting. A light seemed to go on at that point. Even though I leave the country I still maintain an address here, so why won't they give me the certificate? They said it is their procedure and I should go to my embassy. I told them my embassy charge 3000 for a letter that only gives the address I tell them, which is rather pointless (the wording on the letter says 'Mr Blah indicates he lives at this address'). So I then advised that Pattaya immigration will give a letter. They said they are not Pattaya Immigration; but they are part of the same organisation that should be using the same procedures? So I told them I will go Pattaya Immigration. I would rather have a couple of days in Pattaya (maybe go to Koh Larn) than give 3000 baht to the UK Embassy.

Do I get the impression the Thais really don't want us here? I have to live somewhere so who cares where I live? Both my driving licenses say I live in Sukhothai and I havent lived there for about 7 years. So its all rather pointless and a waste of my time and money?

"I have to live somewhere so who cares where I live?"

Apparently immigration, the Transport office, banks...

"Both my driving licenses say I live in Sukhothai and I havent lived there for about 7 years."

Do you think the government offices would trust us more if people didn't lie so much?

Edited by TerryLH

But on the 90 day reporting you volunteer the address, just like you do when you go to the embassy? The point I am trying to make is its not fool proof. Requesting some form of rental contract, title deeds or some other form of proof of address would be much better. Even requesting a police visit to your address if you don't have the right documentation would be much better?

I moved away from Sukhothai, but had 5 year licenses that did not expire yet. Like most Thais I would not bother updating the address on my license unless I was forced to do so.

I would rather see more rights and better treatment of foreigners rather than defending the current system? Unless you like being a second rate citizen in someone elses country, which is the way I feel?

Edited by MaiChai

But on the 90 day reporting you volunteer the address, just like you do when you go to the embassy? The point I am trying to make is its not fool proof. Requesting some form of rental contract, title deeds or some other form of proof of address would be much better. Even requesting a police visit to your address if you don't have the right documentation would be much better?

I moved away from Sukhothai, but had 5 year licenses that did not expire yet. Like most Thais I would not bother updating the address on my license unless I was forced to do so.

I would rather see more rights and better treatment of foreigners rather than defending the current system? Unless you like being a second rate citizen in someone elses country, which is the way I feel?

You feel like a second class citizen because you aren't getting your way.

Grow up for godssakes. Pay your 3,000 baht and stop whining like an eight year-old girl.

Beating your head aganist a wall is very productive stick around and do a 90 day report and they will be more than happy to process your certificate. Chiang Mai Immigration more than happy to give me a certificate without a 90 day report, seems you live in the wrong place

Edited by moe666

Thanks moe666, I can do my 90 day reporting in 10 days, so I think I will do that.

Bangkok seems very strict. When I was in Sukhothai I managed to get the address confirmed in my ampur police station. Funny thing was that it was about an hour drive each way between the ampur office and the DLT, so it was a rush to get to the police, get it done and then rush back again. I was sitting in a room full of police writing up police reports!

Edited by MaiChai

So I told them I will go Pattaya Immigration. I would rather have a couple of days in Pattaya (maybe go to Koh Larn)

I seriously doubt if Pattaya Immigration will give you a Residence Certificate unless you provide them with some type of proof of residence in the Pattaya area, such as a lease, utility bill, etc. since Immigration now requires you to use the Immigration office for your area

Edited by Langsuan Man