Licencing Hours

lampard10

On my way to the pub on monday morning I stopped off at Makro for my usual beer supplies only to be told that one can only buy alcohol between the hours of 11-14 and 17-midnight. I said I would return at 23.00 only to be told they close at 22.00 Is this some kind of joke to run pubs out of business?

Across the road at Tesco the story was the same. Who the ###### makes these insane rules? Or do these rules only apply in Surin. There was no notice of any change. How is it in the rest of Thailand?

I suppose Surin is in Thailand, right? It was in the local news all around Thailand. My guess, you must have missed a few days due to your frequent beer drinking.

Btw, if you can't accept the new ruling -

1) Go to Toxin's office, hold your passport near your face and swear all you want to him. Maybe he could help you out.

2) Next time going on your Visa run, tell the immigration how much you hate the new ruling and how mad Thailand new rules are in your opinion.

3) Move out - no one is forcing you to stay here

(just wasting my time)....

Explorer :o

I suppose Surin is in Thailand, right? It was in the local news all around Thailand. My guess, you must have missed a few days due to your frequent beer drinking.

1) Go to Toxin's office, hold your passport near your face and swear all you want to him. Maybe he could help you out.

2) Next time going on your Visa run, tell the immigration how much you hate the new ruling and how mad Thailand new rules are in your opinion.

Explorer  :o

Why move out. I love the place. But obviously something was lost in the translation unless your views are such on every topic. I own the pub I was travelling to and I don't drink anyway. Probably you are one of these typical Thailand layabouts with plenty of time on their hands to run about all over the place trying to do an honest days work. And before you ask yes I do have a work permit and buisness visa

I started a thread about this a few days ago.

But I have just come from BigC in north Pattaya,and they were selling booze at 4pm,I asked and they said no problem,have not been back to the south one were I had the problem before,but it looks like it was a short lived rule,in Pattaya anyway.

But I have just come from BigC in north Pattaya,and they were selling booze at 4pm,I asked and they said no problem,have not been back to the south one were I had the problem before,but it looks like it was a short lived rule,in Pattaya anyway.

Thanks bartender for a sensible reply. No-one in our neck of the woods has ever heard of such a plan,and it sure is tough when you buy your stock on the way in and can't get it anymore.

........Btw, if you can't accept the new ruling -

Explorer  :o

Not so sure, if your comments are really constructive. I thought this is an expat forum where expats do and can express their opinions. Should everybody have to leave just for disagreeing to the one or other issue?

As for myself, I am quite happy if I can go home after office. Unfortunately, or fortunately? I have clients who visit Thailand five, six times a year, place some orders for export to Europe, USA or Australia and want to 'discuss' such with their suppliers over a drink or five.

If such fun is gone, they will place their orders somewhere else. China comes to my mind where the quality is acceptable, the prices of export articles are much lower and the bars are open longer. They will, of course, never admit the real reason, just blame the prices...

I wish I had your sense of humour!

By the way, isn't Makro supposed to be a wholesale supplier? And is the new law (or whatever it is) to apply to "off licence" or "on licence" establishments? I've not noticed any change in restaurant/pub opening and closing times.

Being obviously a much travelled Thailand visitor, I would have guessed that you would have KNOWN that Surin is in Thailand.

Anyway, for us poor people out in the sticks and not so well informed, perhaps you could offer a synopsis of what the law (or rule) states?

:o

I wish I had your sense of humour!

By the way, isn't Makro supposed to be a wholesale supplier? And is the new law (or whatever it is) to apply to "off licence" or "on licence" establishments? I've not noticed any change in restaurant/pub opening and closing times.

The guy owns a pub and stopped at Makro to buy beer for his Pub not for his personal use, he stated he is a non drinker.

The hours do seem a bit strange, Would suggest that it was a company directive from Bangkok rather than a government enforced change.

On my way to the pub on monday morning I stopped off at Makro for my usual beer supplies only to be told that one can only buy alcohol between the hours of 11-14 and 17-midnight. I said I would return at 23.00 only to be told they close at 22.00 Is this some kind of joke to run pubs out of business?

Across the road at Tesco the story was the same. Who the ###### makes these insane rules? Or do these rules only apply in Surin. There was no notice of any change. How is it in the rest of Thailand?

Thanks to all you who replied sensibly ( and the prat who thinks he's a comedian)

but we're still no closer to the answer.In fact there seems to be no answer. The off-licences are all okay,it's just the big stores. Alright it's Thailand and if a store sells a lot of one thing they take it off sale ( that happaened with baked beans and instant mash in Makro),but this seems out of order. Maybe it's to combat alcaholics although for the life of me I can't imagine a wino walking the streets with ten cases of Chang in a paper bag. I think for the present we'll just sum it up with T.I.T. :o:D:D

Are you sure this is not your fault?

Just after your started the thread there was a report in the Bangkok Pest, that the

government is planning such a scheme.

Crazy I agree.

Now I have to plan my shopping to fit in with crazy licening laws.

What ever next.............?

try grandma/grandpa store they will sell you all you can drink regardless of the hour.

not any more........all the stores round surin have NOW received directives from the police. This includes stores run by Farangs and their spouses out in the sticks. By the way it also stretches to cigarettes and open packets can now not be sold at any time,although they've got nothing against having a fag between 11.00 -14.00 :o:D:D:D