Ubuntu And My Usb Wireless Lan?

mrt273nva

Ubuntu installed like a dream. The dual boot works perfectly. My main problem now is my USB wireless network adapter is not recognized. I have a Level1wnc-0305usb. It won't even light up in Ubuntu. Is there any way around this or will I need an adapter that is supported by linux? A google search on the problem shows that others have a similar problem, but I have found no answers. Ubuntu will be pointless unless I can connect to the net.

Any ideas?

I don't know what you're connecting to; but I had the same problem trying to connect a co-worker's laptop to the intra-web. He was running Ubuntu 8.04, and network came up great, but no internet. DHCPD did not work; setting the adapter to roaming, etc. did not work. Other networks were just fine, but for some reason that internet cafe's network would not let him get to their login page (and yes all flash and java and crap was installed). This was using both the Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

On a side note, his laptop took to Ubuntu like a charm. Had to build the nvidia driver, install the broadcom wireless, but that was it. Even his little Microsoft Media Centre remote worked out of the box (although obviously not all the buttons were mapped). To my surprise, suspend just worked (can't get that POS I call my personal laptop to susped-but MSI is passing bad DSDT tables...). Only issue, which may actually not be one, is that it seemed that the USB was only working at 1.1 speed. It was running late, so I didn't check to see with lsusb if they were in the wrong mode since my bed was calling my name.

i have a headache now. i've tried unsuccessfully to get the ndiswrapper going. i can install it but i can't use it. i have my windows drivers for the usb wireless adapter but i can't manage to do anything with them. i'm retarted in the linux terminal.

in windows the usb wireless adapter has lights, but in ubuntu there are no lights however my network is recognized through wlan0 (which i'm assuming is the default connection) but i can not actually see the computers on the network nor can i connect to the internet.

anyone who knows how to resolve this problem and lives in bangkok i will buy you beers upon remedying this problem. i am new to linux but not new to hardware and drivers. i'm just an ancient techie who has been out of the game for a bit and is trying to jump back in.

Have you tried to run dhcpcd on whatever interface name the adapter has been assigned?

slackula, you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance here. i am at a loss on dhcpcd. remember, i just installed ubuntu last night.

edit: oh yeah. i'll change my avatar when i am able to do it through a linux OS. it will be my way of saying to you that i figured this mess out.

Edited by mrt273nva

Have you tried to run dhcpcd on whatever interface name the adapter has been assigned?

slackula, you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance here. i am at a loss on dhcpcd. remember, i just installed ubuntu last night.

edit: oh yeah. i'll change my avatar when i am able to do it through a linux OS. it will be my way of saying to you that i figured this mess out.

LMFAO, you are going to have to get a thicker skin!

If you need info on any command you can almost always open a terminal window and type "man dhcpcd" (without quotes) to get info on what that, or anything else, will do.

If your interface is being set up as wlan0 then try to open a terminal window and as root (or sudo or whatever Ubuntu uses) and type "dhcpcd wlan0" and see what happens. (again without quotes)

It would also help us to help you if you could post the output of the results of typing ifconfig and iwconfig in a terminal window.

if anyone has any suggestions on a usb wireless adapter that will work beautifully in ubuntu 8.10 please let me know.

There's a Linksys USB dongle with a folding antenna. Uses the Ralink chipset. Detected nicely under my mate's n00buntu setup.

Well I successfully installed the drivers through ndisgtk and the light on the adapter now comes on except the network isn't even found now. Ndisgtk gives an error when I go to configure the network using my driver "Could not find a network configuration tool".

I think I will pick up another wifi adapter this weekend and just be done with this problem. (on a plus side i am beginning to learn terminal commands and am getting a general feel for linux. the main hassle is going back and fourth between XP so that I can use internet to get more information and download various .deb files.)

i bought an edimax usb adapter and it works beautifully. i should have done that first. oh well, sometimes troubleshooting is the best way to learn something new.

Maybe post the steps and specs of your new adapter for other people new to *buntu to learn from.

ps: are you going to change the avatar now? :o

i bought an edimax usb adapter and it works beautifully. i should have done that first. oh well, sometimes troubleshooting is the best way to learn something new.

Maybe post the steps and specs of your new adapter for other people new to *buntu to learn from.

ps: are you going to change the avatar now? :o

good idea. it is an edimax EW-7318USg. http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.ph...1&pl2_id=44

I pluged it in and it worked right away without having to install any drivers. it has excellent linux support.

ps: i'll get around to the avatar eventually. i need to find a suitable replacement.

ps: are you going to change the avatar now? :D

good idea. it is an edimax EW-7318USg. http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.ph...1&pl2_id=44

I pluged it in and it worked right away without having to install any drivers. it has excellent linux support.

ps: i'll get around to the avatar eventually. i need to find a suitable replacement.

Cool, glad to hear than you are now on-line with your Linux distro, and so easily, kudos to you and the people at edimax :o

Apart from the Ubuntu forums the LinuxQuestions.org forums have a huge amount of *very* knowledgeable users also, they helped me out so much when I was struggling along in the beginning.