Watch Those Balconies

bkkjames

Russian tourist killed after falling from 11th floor of Pattaya hotel

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A Russian tourist fell off the balcony in front of an elevator of a hotel in this seaside town late Monday night and was killed.

Police identified the tourist as Pebdtskry Efrgey, 28.

Police said the man fell from the balcony on the 11th floor of the Adriatic Palace Hotel Pattaya to the third floor at 12:20 am Tuesday.

The man was staying on the 25th floor with his girlfriend, Krayneva Zhann.

Witnesses told police that the two were returning to their room but the accidentally exited the elevator at the 11th floor. While waiting for the elevator, they played and took turn to carry each other and then the man fell down the balcony and was killed.

The Nation

3 possibilities. He slipped. He was pushed. He decided to end it all.

Higher railings stops the first 2 but not the third.

but it seems in this case from the report that it was drunken horseplay so doubt it was suicide,so higher balcony possibly could have saved a life and there has been other incidents on balconies where drunks have been messing about and fallen,if had chest high balconies everywhere then it would be a little harder for the drunks to slip when messing about........but agree that if someone wanted to end it then it dont matter on height of balcony :o

3 possibilities. He slipped. He was pushed. He decided to end it all.

Higher railings stops the first 2 but not the third.

but it seems in this case from the report that it was drunken horseplay so doubt it was suicide,so higher balcony possibly could have saved a life and there has been other incidents on balconies where drunks have been messing about and fallen,if had chest high balconies everywhere then it would be a little harder for the drunks to slip when messing about........but agree that if someone wanted to end it then it dont matter on height of balcony :D

Rob, I read that report twice and still don't see the drunken part you speak of. Are you stereotyping here? :o

Rob, I read that report twice and still don't see the drunken part you speak of. Are you stereotyping here? :o

Possibly making an assumption based on the time of the event (12:20 am, or 00:20 on the 24 hour clock, or 20 minutes after midnight). Not that all Russians drink, or get off on the wrong floor, or engage in "horseplay".

The article mentions: "..they played and took turn to carry each other and then the man fell down the balcony and was killed."

Maybe she was trying to carry him, lost her balance and "oops", over he went ? Wouldn't be the strangest story I'm sure.

Possibly making an assumption based on the time of the event (12:20 am, or 00:20 on the 24 hour clock, or 20 minutes after midnight). Not that all Russians drink, or get off on the wrong floor, or engage in "horseplay".

The article mentions: "..they played and took turn to carry each other and then the man fell down the balcony and was killed."

Maybe she was trying to carry him, lost her balance and "oops", over he went ? Wouldn't be the strangest story I'm sure.

yes i was assuming,sorry.....as i dont usually take it in turns to carry anyone till fairly drunk or on special occasions and maybe on very hot sand :D if they werent drunk then that makes it worse i would have thought,at least she got an excuse when she gets back to her home country.

just a small point,after seeing it on the news ,i wouldnt even try to carry that big fella and even if i was a russian female 6 ft shot putter.he looked a lump, actually now more of a splat :D

It's raining men :o

:D Yes, too true. Although I'm laughing at the quip rather than the fact. Sad enough for his family. There does seem to be a rise in this sort of accident lately. How many people have to die before the Pattaya authorities legislate some preventative measures ?

It's raining men :o

:D Yes, too true. Although I'm laughing at the quip rather than the fact. Sad enough for his family. There does seem to be a rise in this sort of accident lately. How many people have to die before the Pattaya authorities legislate some preventative measures ?

Difficult to legislate against this kind of thing. Even European/western standard height railings wouldn't have been enough in this case. So you are left with completely encasing the balcony areas of hotels and condos in railings. Apart from the eyesore who's going to pay and will it be made applicable to new builds or retrofit to all high rises?

I suppose safety nets could be fitted around all tall buildings at about 3 metre height. But that would be an open invitation to all the nutters to see who can jump into the net from the highest floor.

Unfortunately horsing around on balconies, drunk or not, is not a good idea but equally unfortunately it becomes a good idea after a few drinks.

As Kerryd points out, horseplay has it's consequences.

When I ran a social club (bar) in the Omani interior back in the late 80's, the licensing authorities required that we have 'house rules' that needed to be approved before we could retain the liquor license. After much hard work with the dozen or so guys that used the facilities, we drafted rules that were eventually accepted. Rule #7 was, "Horseplay is not generally condoned within the premises" but Rule #8 allowed, "In the unfortunate event of any horseplay on the premises, it is the responsibility of the last member standing to make sure the horse is placed back outside for the night."