Used Car Sales

mike44

I am looking to buy a reliable car or pick-up in the Chiang Mai area for under 100 000 Baht. It does not have to look good its only got to be reliable. I am not fussy about make or model or, within reason, age or mileage. Can anyone recommend where I should start looking?

I am looking to buy a reliable car or pick-up in the Chiang Mai area for under 100 000 Baht. It does not have to look good its only got to be reliable. I am not fussy about make or model or, within reason, age or mileage. Can anyone recommend where I should start looking?

A RELIABLE truck under 100,000 baht?

In all my years here, I have never seen one.

Here's the market price for Toyota http://one2car.com/SearchEngine/searchengine.aspx that fits your budget

Another model I'd like to recommend is isuzu dragon http://one2car.com/SearchEngine/searchEngi...mp;carprice=ALL put more 40-50K and you will get more durable pickup. I used to own this years ago...

Try the used car center on the corner of highway to Mae Jo. There's also another used car center in the city area but I don't know the direction. These car are very rare...so good luck with finding your reliable car..

You can easily get a reliable truck for that price. Maybe I have been to different places than Ajarn if he hasn't seen them, but they are EVERYWHERE!

Old Toyota Hilux pickups are ultra reliable. Take a good mechanic with you to check out before you buy. You will find many for 100,000 or under.

And if Ajarn dont believe me, i invite him to check out Youtube for the Top Gear videos where they try to destroy a Hilux. It was put at the bottom of the sea, battered with a wrecking ball, and even put on the top of a tower block that was then demolished, before finally setting fire to it! It still started and drove!

Personally, I bought a 35 year old Toyota Corona for 25,000 baht. Its been pretty darn reliable strong car. Had a naff battery in it, but in 3 years thats all the problems i've had mechanically (The idiot Ford driver that drove into it is not the cars fault)

If you up you budget, you will be buying a newer car, that is not neccesarily any more reliable. Some would say less reliable (Me included). Also, the newer the car, the more chance you've got of it having on board computers and gizmos to go wrong. The great thing about an old car, is you can take it to any backstreet (read cheap) mechanic, and get any repairs done, anywhere!

Just my two pence worth.

You can easily get a reliable truck for that price. Maybe I have been to different places than Ajarn if he hasn't seen them, but they are EVERYWHERE!

Old Toyota Hilux pickups are ultra reliable. Take a good mechanic with you to check out before you buy. You will find many for 100,000 or under.

And if Ajarn dont believe me, i invite him to check out Youtube for the Top Gear videos where they try to destroy a Hilux. It was put at the bottom of the sea, battered with a wrecking ball, and even put on the top of a tower block that was then demolished, before finally setting fire to it! It still started and drove!

Personally, I bought a 35 year old Toyota Corona for 25,000 baht. Its been pretty darn reliable strong car. Had a naff battery in it, but in 3 years thats all the problems i've had mechanically (The idiot Ford driver that drove into it is not the cars fault)

If you up you budget, you will be buying a newer car, that is not neccesarily any more reliable. Some would say less reliable (Me included). Also, the newer the car, the more chance you've got of it having on board computers and gizmos to go wrong. The great thing about an old car, is you can take it to any backstreet (read cheap) mechanic, and get any repairs done, anywhere!

Just my two pence worth.

In my experience, which may be different than yours, the only reliable trucks I found below 100,000 were reliable to break down. For another 50,000, your options for what you are looking for increase a lot :o

Could any of the members be kind enough to recommend (if possible) where one could purchase a reliable used truck (such as the Toyota Hilux) for 100,000 or less? Thai friends of mine say they would never purchase a used vehicle from any of the used car dealers in town. There are countless stories of rolling back the odometer, doing temporary fixes to conceal major problems, using poor quality parts, selling cars that have been in major accidents, or simply polishing up and detailing a car with a nice looking body but with a junker engine or transmission.

mallmagician, when you say "Old Toyota Hilux pickups are ultra reliable.", how old is old? 10 years or more?

Furthermore, can anyone recommend an honest mechanic who I can hire to accompany me when I go looking for a truck?

Thanks in advance.

elektrified

• 4 weeks later...

Look for a BMW between 1986 and 1988. I sold my piece of junk 2003 Honda Civic that could barely get out of its own way let alone get over a mountain without shutting the A/C off for 450,000B and bought a 1986 BMW 316i that gets better fuel economy goes like hel_l over mountains and otherwise, fully loaded for 85,000 B, I have owned these series of BMW all of my life int the USA and here and have never had a major problem nor have they ever left me stranded. This car is the 9th BMW 3 series I have owned and the good news is they are all made in Germany by people that pay attention to detail. I looked at quite a few BMW's before buying the one I did and most of them seemed to be in very good condition as the average back yard mechanic will not touch one. Thais don't like them that's why they are so cheap, I have been told "if it breaks the parts are expensive" well they don't tend to break, wear and tear yes, break no. My Honda on the other hand cost me 235,000 B in repairs in the 3 years I owned it!