Apirak Guilty Of Corruption

george

Apirak guilty

BANGKOK: --The National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) resolved unanimously Tuesday that Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin guilty of wrongdoing in the fire truck and boat procurement scandal.

Mr Apirak, who served as the governor for the second term, was found to have been involved in irregularities in the 6.7-billion-baht purchase of fire trucks and fire boats from Austrian firm Steyr Co.

The overpriced deal was signed by his predecessor, who was also former prime minister, Samak Sundaravej in 2004.

Mr Apirak, Mr Samak and nine others were accused of corruption in violation of Article 157 of the Criminal Code after ordering Krung Thai Bank to issue a letter-of-credit to purchase overpriced fire engines from Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Company.

Mr Apirak said earlier he was forced by the contract to open a letter of credit for the purchase, even though he had repeatedly resisted it due to the alleged irregularities.

After the resolution, the Bangkok governor, who ran under the Democrat banner, said he would meet with Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to discuss about his future.

He said he would hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce his political future.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-11

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former PM, Bangkok governor, 9 others guilty in fire truck scandal

BANGKOK: --Thailand's National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) on Tuesday unanimously voted former Thai prime minister Samak Sundaravej, current governor of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Apirak Kosayodhin and nine others were guilty of wrongdoing and violating the criminal code in the 2003 purchase of fire trucks and boats worth more than Bt6.8 billion.

The NCCC voted 9 to 0 in finding Mr. Samak, Thailand's most recent ex-premier, who was Bangkok governor at the time of the procurement contract signing, Mr. Apirak, who was his successor and took over the post of Bangkok governor on Sept 6, 2004, and nine others guilty and violated criminal law in irregularities in the purchase of fire trucks and boats from Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Co.

Mr. Apirak was re-elected Bangkok governor on October 5 for a second four-year term. The law mandates, if found guilty, a Bangkok governor must be suspended from his duties.

Among the others charged of wrongdoing by the NCCC were former interior minister Bhokin Polakul, his deputy Pracha Maleenont and ex-commerce minister Watana Muangsook. All the former ministers used to serve in the ousted government of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The scandal emerged after the first batch of trucks was delivered. There were allegations that they were too costly as they were made in Thailand and then sent to Britain for equipment installation, while the contract was prepared in a rushed manner.

The now-defunct Assets Examination Committee (AEC) had charged that the purchase had caused the state to lose more than Bt1.9 billion. The AEC transferred the case to the NCCC on June 30, 2008 to take further action.

City governor Apirak said later he would first discuss with the opposition Democrat Party, of which he is a deputy leader, before deciding how to respond.

In accordance with the legal procedures, the NCCC would forward its Tuesday decision to the Office of the Attorney-General which will forward the case to the Supreme Court's Criminal Court for Holders of Political Positions since many of the wrongdoers were former politicians, so that legal actions could be taken against them.

-- TNA 2008-11-12

I hope Apirak comes out swinging and doesn't just sit simpering at his Press Conference and quietly resign., because i'd be surprised if he took any of the dirty money. (Unlike the deal signatory).

Does the verdict say what his wrongdoing specifically was, (rather than merely an announcement of guilt)

Unfortunately, Apirak and his boss Abhisit, are just not combative politicians who will stand up for themselves.

Edited by Journalist

I hope Apirak comes out swinging and doesn't just sit simpering at his Press Conference and quietly resign., because i'd be surprised if he took any of the dirty money. (Unlike the deal signatory).

Does the verdict say what his wrongdoing specifically was, (rather than merely an announcement of guilt)

Unfortunately, Apirak and his boss Abhisit, are just not combative politicians who will stand up for themselves.

This one certainly IS a conundrum.

We know the real source of the corruption is Samak and his contract.

With his whole crew of soon to be TRT Thaksin cabinet lackeys.

Most likely there is the greasy fingers of Thaksin in the background too.

We know Apirack sighed the Letter of Credit. Why? Intent must means something.

What was the status of the contract at the time he signed it?

What part of this contract at that time forced him to sign the letter of credit?

If I remember he did it under protest. But said he had no choice.

What forced his hand and why?

Sadly what might appear a 'proper' leaving of office after a charge,

in this case, will look wimpy and unfair, even though in Samak we

would have been flabergasted if he had done the same.

Still my memories of this : Apirak seems to have been tarred with the same brush

and didn't ACTIVELY have much to do with this contract that was fait accomli

before he took office. And was at that time still a legal contract.

This may be a case of the NCCC trying to APPEAR even handed,

because of the political situation of the moment.

I personally think this decision should have been more nuanced.

It clearly does NOT say where the lion's share of guilt lies, and whether

simply signing a mandated letter of credit held over from the previous

administration's purchase contract is of the same kind and level of corruption.

Doesn't it now go to the attorney general for a decision on sending it to court?

Samak signed the contract ... Apirak is guilty ?? because he authorized the letter of credit .... ! very confusing ... as said before i hope they will fight this off.

Technically it seems that as his signature was on the letter of credit, he completed the rogue deal. I like others doubt he received any of the dodgy money but by applying his signature he has linked himself to it. Technincally he may have a good defence if he and/or the Bangkok municipality faced legal action for not effectively paying up on a signed and sealed contract.

The Dems could come out fighting and defend Apirak as much less guilty than Samak which seems to be the case but that kind of thing can be a politcal headache. they could also take the high road and have Apirak resign. The PPP are always reticent at resigning over anything so it would make a strong political difference. However, in a country where the electability of the bought MP is paramount over anything else it may not have much of a politcal impact. This whole decison will be based on how it will impact on the more urban and middle class voters who are more concerned by these things.

I presume the vehicle manufacturer threatened to sue if the contract wasn't paid for.

This is a chance for the Democrat pretty boys to get some cojones.

I hope they stand up and say 'RIGHT! Enough's enough. This is what happened."

But the likelihood is they'll come out with some legalistic blah about appealing, and judicial process.

I presume the vehicle manufacturer threatened to sue if the contract wasn't paid for.

This is a chance for the Democrat pretty boys to get some cojones.

I hope they stand up and say 'RIGHT! Enough's enough. This is what happened."

But the likelihood is they'll come out with some legalistic blah about appealing, and judicial process.

The Democrats have to field all sorts of tainted upcountry mafiosi in their party to ever have a chance at governing / or "winning" an election.

Consequently, they take on all these people's "skeletons on the closet" too. When it comes to mud-slinging time, everyone gets a bit on their shirts.

A conspiracy of silence is still a conspiracy.

If you know that someone is committing an act of fraud or corruption and you willingly comply, are you innocent?

I like this guy and I hope he has a bright future in politics, but I think in Thailand corruption is so endemic that it will be a very long time before it gets cleaned up. I mean, people are talking about more and less guilty; not about innocent or guilty!

Apirak should just have folded his arms and refused to sign the letter of credit.

& let them litigate. (and let them explain why the deal was overpriced)

He should be more of a conviction politician.

My guess is that Apirak just followed the time honoured tradition of signing off on the previous guys doings without question. Rememeber until recently there were relatively few spilling the beans on each other. It was like a politicans code. Right now with a vicious power struggle going on all kinds of previously hidden things are coming to light. Apirak is just a victim of this. I doubt he recieved money from the deal and from what I hear he is probably even clean, but with the knives out everyone is fair game. Maybe if he had his time again...

Right now the standing of politicans is lower than beggars, thieves or street whores. These cases serve to worsen this image even more. Would it be too much to think right in the middle of a power struggle we have some who see an opportunity in seeing this development?

Hammered: I tend to agree with you, but I think the point is he knew there were 'beans' there for someone and he still signed off.

I think the corruption is deep enough here that some officials have lost all perspective on what is/isn't corrupt.

Apirak should just have folded his arms and refused to sign the letter of credit.

Agreed.

Granted we are thinking like westerners here.

Hammered, he publicly complained about having to sign it,

and stalled for a good while. Something forced his hand.

Not sure what.

Edited by animatic

Agreed.

Not sure what.

There are stories that the Democrat Party board advised him not to sign it but he (eventually) did anyway. Its up to the courts now anyway. He has been indicted but not convicted.

Agreed.

Not sure what.

There are stories that the Democrat Party board advised him not to sign it but he (eventually) did anyway. Its up to the courts now anyway. He has been indicted but not convicted.

Apirak's problem is more than the L-O-C. The deal was signed in 2004, but the first payment wasn't due until 2007, by which time the AEC had already stated that there was a probability of corruption on the deal, yet in Feb 2007 he authorised the first payment of 845 Million baht, in August 2007 he authorised the second payment of 743 Million baht, and even after the AEC threatened him he made the third payment in Feb 2008 of 600 Million baht, it wasn't until the 4th payment in August this year was due that he finally suspended payment.

sources:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30064886

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30080359

Apirak expected to quit

Bangkok governor Mr. Apirak Kosayodhin is expected to declare his resignation at a press conference today (November 12) out of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC)’s unanimous ruling on Tuesday of his guilty of wrongdoing in the fire truck and boat procurement scandal.

Mr. Korn Jatikawanich, opposition Democrat party deputy leader, tipped to be candidate for new Bangkok governor under his party banner, said on Tuesday (November 11) that if Mr.Apirak decided to resign, the party would consider a new candidate for the new Bangkok governor’s election.

NCCC Mr Apirak, serving as the city governor for the second term, was found to have been involved in irregularities in the 6.8 billion baht purchase of fire trucks and fire boats from Austrian firm Steyr Co.

The overpriced deal was signed by his predecessor, also former prime minister, Mr. Samak Sundaravej who is now in the US for his cancer treatment, in 2004.

Mr Apirak, Mr. Samak and nine others were accused of corruption in violation of the Criminal Code’s article 157 after ordering state-owned Krung Thai Bank to issue a letter of credit to purchase overpriced fire engines from Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Co.

Mr. Korn said that the Democrat party and Mr. Apirak would jointly decide in this case in regards to whether the Bangkok governor had to cease operation immediately after NCCC’s ruling.

Mr. Apirak is scheduled to hold a press conference today (November 12) on his political decision. He now has two choices: temporary suspending from duty but still in the position awaiting Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Position’s ruling; or resigning.

A Democrat party’s source said on condition of anonymity that Mr. Apirak was expected to quit out of the NCCC’s ruling to create unprecedented new politics.

Apart from Mr. Apirak and Mr. Samak, NACC also recommended charges of corruption against former Minister of Interior Mr. Pokin Polakul, former Deputy Minister of Interior Mr. Pracha Maleenont, former Minister of Commerce Mr. Watana Muangsook and former chief of City Hall's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department Pol Maj Gen Athilak Tanchukiart.

NACC cleared former city clerk Khunying Nathanon Thavisin, Mr Pokin's assistant secretary Mr. Somsak Khunngern, former Foreign Trade Department chief Mr. Rachen Pojanasunthorn, and Steyr Co's representative Mr. Mag Mario Minar of criminal wrongdoings in connection with the scandal.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 12 November 2008

Apirak to announce his decision at 3 pm

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin will hold a press conference at the Democrat Party at 3 pm Wednesday following an indictment against him by the National Counter Corruption Commission.

He will announce his decision whether to remain in the position or whether he would step down after the NCCC indicted him for being allegedly careless causing damages to the country related to the procurement of fire engines.

Sources said he held a meeting with Democrat leading members late Tuesday night following the indictment.

Source: The Nation - 12 November 2008

Agreed.

Not sure what.

Apirak's problem is more than the L-O-C. The deal was signed in 2004, but the first payment wasn't due until 2007, by which time the AEC had already stated that there was a probability of corruption on the deal, yet in Feb 2007 he authorised the first payment of 845 Million baht, in August 2007 he authorised the second payment of 743 Million baht, and even after the AEC threatened him he made the third payment in Feb 2008 of 600 Million baht, it wasn't until the 4th payment in August this year was due that he finally suspended payment.

sources:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30064886

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...newsid=30080359

Let's be fair here. The problem for Apirak is that the AEC was not a court making a judgment. They were a fact finding commission giving their opinion. What he had in hand was a legal contract he inherited from his predecessor (Samak). No court had declared it null and void and to not honor it would have been a breach of contract. Hence, as called for in the contract, he complied and had the bank issue and irrevocable letter of credit guaranteeing the City's payments. When payments were due he authorized them as at the time there were no legal reasons not to make the payments. If he didn't, the bank would have been legally liable for them. Apirak was stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

It also should be noted that the Bangkok Governor reports to the prevailing government in power (the Minister of the Interior). When Apirak first took over and authorized the issuance of the LC, the TRT were in power (Bhokin was the Minister of Interior at that time). After that, when the first payments were due, the generals were in power, but nobody stepped in to stop Apirak despite the AEC's opinion. In 2008, when the PPP took over, Samak was the PM and since he is the one who originally signed the contract, he wasn't about to stop the Feb. 08 payment.

Edited by Old Man River

[

Right now the standing of politicans is lower than beggars, thieves or street whores. These cases serve to worsen this image even more. Would it be too much to think right in the middle of a power struggle we have some who see an opportunity in seeing this development?

I find the street whores I have observed are more honorable by far.

They at least give something agreed on for their fee.

The politicians take your money and then tell you to fuc_k off.

I wouldn't leave my wallet , bankcard and passport out

for EITHER group to access of course.

Beggars are just hopeful for your charity or run by mafia as victims of organized crime.

Thieves, well they come big and small, the politicians are the biggies.

Steal from everybody and invent new ways to do it. And new ways to hide their tracks.

The street whores are only thieves of opportunity, they don't work to create

NEW opportunities for theft. Just grab it and go if opportunity presents itself.

And if they had the cash flow of the politicians they likely wouldn't steal.

Apirak guilty

BANGKOK.

Mr Apirak said earlier he was forced by the contract to open a letter of credit for the purchase, even though he had repeatedly resisted it due to the alleged irregularities.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-11-11

What a stupid excuse, only a moron is capable of saying it..... :D:o

If he resigned, would that mean another election for Bangkok governor or does his deputy or a top civil servant just step into the post?

Who came second? Was it Chuvit Kamolvisit? Imagine if he became the governor as a result of this? I would smile, though I'm not sure why.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin announces his resignation

Bangko Governor Apirak Kosayodhin announced his resignation Wednesday following an indictment against him by the National Counter Corruption Commission.

The resignation will take effect on November 20 after the royal cremation of HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana.

Bangko Governor Apirak Kosayodhin announced his resignation Wednesday following an indictment against him by the National Counter Corruption Commission.

The resignation will take effect on November 20 after the royal cremation of HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana.

Amazing a politician caught up in something resigns without claiming a conspiracy, encouraging violence or threatening heaven and earth.

Apirak resigns

Apirak Kosayodhin, who was found guilty of corruption in connection with alleged irregularities in City Hall's procurement of fire trucks and boats on Tuesday, announced his decision to step down as Bangkok governor Wednesday.

"I decided to resign," he said in a news conference.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Amazing a politician caught up in something resigns without claiming a conspiracy, encouraging violence or threatening heaven and earth.

You took the words out of my mouth. If only the numerous others, including the homeless one, would follow his lead Thailand could really move forward.

[

I find the street whores I have observed are more honorable by far.

They at least give something agreed on for their fee.

Yes, my ...er.... ' observations ' ( good word for it ) mostly concur with yours. I say mostly because you don't always get whats agreed on for the fee.?

As for Apirak....well, it does indeed look like the other wanabee's will get another shot at it now that he's stepped down. A bit of a stain on the democrats ' clean sheet '.

Edited by Bangyai

You took the words out of my mouth. If only the numerous others, including the homeless one, would follow his lead Thailand could really move forward.

... and I was looking forward to all the naming and shaming in this politically motivated case.

I don't agree ! I would have liked him to explain himself, instead of quitting and walking off the reservation.

He's got the front page now; that interest in him may not endure till the trial.

Yes, sadly it sets no president that the other side will ever consider following.

While not perfect,

the Dems are too honorable for their own good, in this environment...

Edited by animatic