Meal Deals At The Big Hotels

anthrosciguy

I was wondering if folks knew of meal deals at the big hotels (which you figure I was wondering from the thread title :o). For instance, we ate at the Shangri-La (the Kad Kafe) where they now have a buffet deal for 169 baht. It's not too extensive, but it's good. You get a smallish soft drink and a coffee or tea later, and for food they have small pizzas cooked to order, Kow soi, and pasta with various sauces and fixings. Then a number of desserts, and of course fruit. It's not loads of different things, Vegas-style, but all quite good.

I figured other big hotels might well be offering deals like this since they're hurting on occupancy. Anyone got a list?

The Shangri-La bar near the pool also has cut price drinks at the moment. Ladies night is (I think) Friday with the first two drinks for the lady free and bottles of beer for the boys 60 - 70 baht.

Yes I know someone will say this thread is about food but beer is food in my book :o

I was wondering if folks knew of meal deals at the big hotels (which you figure I was wondering from the thread title :o ). For instance, we ate at the Shangri-La (the Kad Kafe) where they now have a buffet deal for 169 baht. It's not too extensive, but it's good. You get a smallish soft drink and a coffee or tea later, and for food they have small pizzas cooked to order, Kow soi, and pasta with various sauces and fixings. Then a number of desserts, and of course fruit. It's not loads of different things, Vegas-style, but all quite good.

I figured other big hotels might well be offering deals like this since they're hurting on occupancy. Anyone got a list?

incredibly cheap...

I know the 'Meridian' is doing a special:

50,000 baht will get you 4 hour wedding whatsit for 150? guests.... and a honeymoon suite for the night.

Not sure if they permit guests to wear wellington boots inside though.

Breaks down to 333 baht per head, for 3 courses.

pointless reply sorry. going slightly mad watching the markets and my farang forex plummet. d-day approaches on the dow jones.

Edited by UKWEBPRO

The Shangri-La deal mentioned above is the lunch buffet. There's a much more extensive dinner buffet for more like 370 Baht. Considering the quality & variety it's good value in my opinion.

The S-La midweek cheapo lunch buffet was a big disappointment for me. Mediocre salad bar, medium-good desserts but the 'mains' consisted ONLY of small, puffy pizzas and a Very small selection of pasta, and that was that. (No lasagne or canelloni by the way, so that rules out that section for me).

The service was charming but a bit inept and I'd never partake again.

The Sunday lunch buffet is more expensive but good (still not excellent - not a wide choice like the Holiday Inn or Empress) AND you get free afternoon use of the SUPERB S-La pool with shaded jacuzzi and large shaded, shallow, children's section. I've told the f&b director that this should be heavily promoted to expats with kids. I think it's unique.

Last time I saw him was in the newly opened semi-basement, shady, shadowy late night bar, where, he pointed out, beer is at ordinary city centre bar prices. True. Then as I left (I noticed he vanished first) I was hit for 280b for one glass of house red!

Grand View (the former Holiday Inn on Superhighway) must still hold the Value for Money lunch buffet prize, with Empress in 2nd place.

This is a good thread. Let's keep it, as they say, up!

At the Duangtawan Hotel there is mondays through thursday an asian-european dinner buffet. It's costing 199 B. ++ and is located in their italian restautrant at the groundfloor . The starters und desserts are quite nice. One can get a lot of italian cold cuts and some seafood like shrimps and mussels. But I skipped the main dishes.

Just tried the Park Hotel lunch buffet. It's part of the Empress Group. 110 baht with Empress Card.

Nothing to get excited about. It's a greatly reduced take from the Empress. Deserts are blah, not much choice. NO ice cream.

I'm not recommending it, but for 110 baht, cheaper than McDonald's. I was there on Thurs. Cow soi was good and the pork in hawaiin sauce was the best I've had in Thailand. Nothing more to brag about though.

I'd probably pay a bit more and do the Empress...

Oh, it's located down Chan Klang Rd, south from the Empress.

The Grandview hotel still has its lunch buffet and now a days its packed. Not bad for 139 baht up from 125 baht. Its consistent, not the best but better than many. Not one of the dishes stands out, but the crepes with ice cream is a nice touch for desert.

What is the average waist size and the average thickness of the wallet of the contributors of this topic?

Ours is somewhat thin on both, which is why we don't go for the more expensive buffets. We just can't eat enough to justify a biggish bill, so if we're spending over US$10 each we might as well go to someplace non-buffet and better quality. But that's us (always find it odd that so many people can't seem to come to grips that people vary in their tastes) and I'm sure others would find a bigger buffet here really nice. We also went to the Grandview and that was not bad either. Fair amount of variety, varying on quality but some dishes were really nice. Pretty good value for the weekday lunch buffet I'd say.

That weekend brunch at the S-La, if it includes the pool use, might be a good deal because the use of the pool is really over the top expensive but it's a nice looking pool. I don't know the price of that though, and looking at the web site I see they keep their secrets well hidden.