Kosher Salt Or Sea Salt

BinKata

In the new market in Patong (Banzan?) in amongst the dry goods (dry Shrimps etc) at the north end.

It should be easily available in the main market in Phuket town but I have always bought it in Patong.

It's called gleua sin tao in Thai although gleua thale will probably be understood.

It is sold in fairly big bags but obviously very cheap.

It absorbs a lot of moisture in Phuket"s humidity so its best to dry roast and grind it before use.

I usually dry roast a small amount and then put it in an air tight jar with a few dry beans. It will keep dry like this for a few weeks. If you use it in the original crystalline form it is all to easy to use too much and end up with very salty food.

I do alot of cooking and I prefer to cook with Non Iodized salt. But i have not been able to find any Kosher salt or Coarse Sea salt.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Never understood this. I thought "Kosher" was to do with the way animals are slaughtered, and not mixing meat and dairy. What has that got to do with salt? . . . . .

Have you looked into what happens if you don't get enough iodine?

If you relied on refined salt (or any salt) as your sole source of iodine intake you would have real problems

"Refined salt is a lifeless product that has had all of its minerals removed and has been exposed to toxic chemicals to make it white. Our bodies need unrefined traditionally harvest salt, such as Celtic sea salt or unrefined Himalayan crystal salt.

In addition vitamin C and unrefined (Celtic) sea salt is needed to repair the iodine transport mechanism, together with the support of a complete nutritional programme."

From this site:

http://www.anticancerinfo.co.uk/Iodine.htm

Sea food, sea fish and sea vegetables are all good sources of iodine.

http://www.naturalbodyhealing.com/iodine_a...vegetables.html

But the real reason to use sea salt is that your food tastes better and it seems that you need to use less of it.

I do alot of cooking and I prefer to cook with Non Iodized salt. But i have not been able to find any Kosher salt or Coarse Sea salt.

Deli Supermarket Phuket in Patong or Phuket Town has this and many other Western products - 076 342275 Khun Dumrong can give you directions.

Never understood this. I thought "Kosher" was to do with the way animals are slaughtered, and not mixing meat and dairy. What has that got to do with salt? . . . . .

I agree...sounds like a misapprehension of the concept. It never ceases to amaze me what different societies or people believe in and the ends to which they go to do things - supposedly - the "correct" way. Most of it is a load of drivel in my modest opinion...... :o

I agree...sounds like a misapprehension of the concept. It never ceases to amaze me what different societies or people believe in and the ends to which they go to do things - supposedly - the "correct" way. Most of it is a load of drivel in my modest opinion...... :o

agreed . . . . .

What about your Ignorant Drivel? Educate yourself before speaking!

Kosher salt gets its name not because it follows the guidelines for Kosher foods as written in the Torah (nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt), but rather because of its use in making meats kosher, by helping to extract the blood from the meat. Because kosher salt grains are larger than regular table salt grains, when meats are coated in kosher salt the salt does not dissolve readily; the salt remains on the surface of the meat longer to draw fluids out of the meat.

What is the difference between kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt?

For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.

Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving intact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts are usually expensive, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved.

Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts.

Food Network Kitchens

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o