Stockmarket Trading, Forex, Commodities.

I think I'm getting the hang of the SL vs position thing. 10,000 USD would give me only $100-$200 stop loss which would give me maximum of 4 minilots on a chart with 50pip SL, which is $40 profit on a 10 pip trade.

I guess it would also be necessary to split that into, say, four minilots of different pairs to diversify.

Another question - there are tons of brokers out there, some of them are not really brokers but marketmakers themselves, which means I could be getting different prices in different places. Is it really something I should be concerned about when choosing a broker?

On that note - is Oanda a safe choice for a start?

Beyond that - onto the real charts, will try to keep up with what people post about trades and signals here.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks,

just to add to the mix, regarding where to put stop losses, if using atr, which is a measure of volatility, I'm reading that for overnight trades, having a stop 2.5 times the daily atr can work well, and for intraday trades you can use a percentage of the daily atr eg 0.15. For myself I like my stops to be just above or below key levels on whatever timeframe I'm trading eg if I'm buying a bounce off a trendline expecting the trend to continue then the logical place for the stop is just below that trendline. Paulo, thanks for the info you're sharing here.

Hi folks,

just to add to the mix, regarding where to put stop losses, if using atr, which is a measure of volatility, I'm reading that for overnight trades, having a stop 2.5 times the daily atr can work well, and for intraday trades you can use a percentage of the daily atr eg 0.15. For myself I like my stops to be just above or below key levels on whatever timeframe I'm trading eg if I'm buying a bounce off a trendline expecting the trend to continue then the logical place for the stop is just below that trendline. Paulo, thanks for the info you're sharing here.

Pretty much correct using the ATR. The benefit of using the volatily -based model , it forces the trader to reduce the level of risk if it has a disproportionate effect on the account, hence reducing the chance of a serious loss.

Key levels are important in regards to stops. I prefer to see a good base or top pattern and try to use a confluence of SAR (support and Resistance) zones. Like a fib number, trendline, 200 sma etc. Another thing to be aware of is round numbers. But aware other trader are also using these zones for stops and this gives the Market Makers an area to run your stops. Its good to give yourself some extra room.

Something else i use is a Stop on Close Only. (SCO) . Activate to stop above or below your stop level on a closing price. You need to be watching the charts to do this as i have not found a platform that can do this automaticly.

Looking a cable this week is could break higher

Paulo, please translate in a language i understand huh.png

Everything i am looking at is from the weekly and daily chart.

There is alot going on around the 1.5700 to 1.5800

200 sma 1.5715

100 sma 1.5750

A daily close above 1.5750/85 layer.

50% fib from 1.6300 high to 1.5267 low gives a 50% retracement to 1.5784 and that only being 16 pips from 5800, 5800 would be the key zone to watch.

Pattern is ascending triangle

Fridays close 1.6308. and produces a 500 pip trade. Did you enjoy that one Chivas?

And am now looking to sell limit at 1.6267 stop 1.6310. Entry is not set in concrete and will be watching price action from 6308 to 6200

GBPUSD sell was triggered at 1.6265 stop was 6310 on entry now moved to 6277, currently hold 80 pips profit.

POSTED on the 20-9.12 AUDUSD looks to be heading to 1.0331 zone. Had a long trade yesterday that produced some nice pips with low risk, and still hold shorts from 1.05334

Still hold a short on the AUDUSD= 156 pips profit from entry.

Also have sell entries on the GBPJPY and CADJPY.

Cable update. have close 50% at 1.6162 for 100 pips *5 standards and am hold 5 with a stop at 1.6232.. Waching the 4hr candle pattern. If closes bullish could move back to 6250.

Counter Trend 5 min char AUDUSD buy 1.0358

Cable update. have close 50% at 1.6162 for 100 pips *5 standards and am hold 5 with a stop at 1.6232.. Waching the 4hr candle pattern. If closes bullish could move back to 6250.

Counter Trend 5 min chart AUDUSD buy 1.0358

Closed AUDUSD plus 10 pips

• 2 weeks later...

Sell limit triggered at 126.29. Have a look at the relationship from the daily and weekly charts. target around 125.50 and 124.20

Chart attached.

Still holding Cable Sell , AUDUSD sells, and NZDUSD sells , entries were posted prior the move we now see.

post-49444-0-89482800-1349670863_thumb.g

AUDUSD.

Can see a push higher to around 1.0272, can look to add sells around that number. If tha breaks watch 1.0300/10.

Support 1.0136, watch for a close below as this should open up 98 remember parity will always be an issue.

Sell limit triggered at 126.29. Have a look at the relationship from the daily and weekly charts. target around 125.50 and 124.20

Chart attached.

Still holding Cable Sell , AUDUSD sells, and NZDUSD sells , entries were posted prior the move we now see.

Lots of opportunity to get into this trade. Presently hold 126 pips profit . When i posted you could have got in from 126.50 low to a high of 126.61 and that would having returned 100 pips at the low of 125.58.

post-49444-0-46556200-1349688382_thumb.g

Hi Paulo1

Just joined this thread and followed your call on GBP/JPY.

Doing nicely now thanks. 30+ pips already.

Cheers

Lock in some profits at 125.50.

wtach this current level 125.33

Edited by Paulo1

Chart attached.

post-49444-0-56212600-1349693770_thumb.g

Chart attached.

GBPJPY , Produced 167 pips , have taken 50% of position at 125.50. My stop remains at 126.75 and may move to 126. 52. as it could move to 126.00/15 zone. Watch for a close below 125.00 for trend to continue to 124.27

EURJPY watching only at this point for sell entry around 101.78

AUDUSD has opened below some key support at 1.0162 Presently hold p[ositions from 1.0554 area plus about 760 pips in total.

GBPUSD fgrom the reversal signal posted here GBPUSD sell was triggered at 1.6265 stop was 6310 on entry now moved to 6277, currently hold 80 pips profit. Profit was taken for 100 pips and the entered again at the same number 1.6265 which has now produced 245 +the 100 = 345

AUDJPY displays a pinocchio daily candle. Support at 79.30 zone needs broken as it has confluence with the 200 sma weekly and horozontal support at the 79.50 to 79.30 layer. on the long side buying around 79.50 stop 79.17 risk adjusted

What does it look like?

The ‘key reversal day’ or ‘Pinocchio Nose Candle’ has a lower shadow (tail), where prices moved lower within the trading session but quickly rejected these lower levels and moved higher to close near or above the opening price.

How to trade a key reversal?

Whilst there are going to be many areas on a chart where these signals just appear, we usually see key reversals at important technical points on a chart.

Often it is the case that a signal to trade will work better at these reference points.

Some important technical points where we often see reversal patterns are;

1. At an obvious support/resistance point.
  2. At a Fibonacci retracement level.
  3. At an important moving average.

The major difference from a Pinocchio Candle and a Hammer is the nose above the open and close price is longer than that of a hammer reversal candle.

Edited by Paulo1

LongTerm.

EURUSD Bullish , resistance 1.3145/67 , potential move to 1.3744, Watching daily close and key support at the 200 dma at 1.2821.

Have placed a small buy limit at 1.2971, stop 1.2964. Position. May be adjusted on present positive price acttion.

LongTerm.

EURUSD Bullish , resistance 1.3145/67 , potential move to 1.3744, Watching daily close and key support at the 200 dma at 1.2821.

Have placed a small buy limit at 1.2971, stop 1.2964. Position. May be adjusted on present positive price acttion.

EU

Buy limit was not triggered and cancelled , 2012.10.09 18:55:10 '506901': pending order #23123994 was deleted

EU just got smashed down to daily TL 1.2900 am watching 1.2800 that needs to hold for the longer term bullish move to happen.

AUDJPY is flirting with support

Chart attached.

next target for cable 1.5900, (hold), AU will be dependent on tomorrows employment release. (hold) NU gave another nice sell at 8233, target 8064. Currently hold from 8333

GBPJPY has moved 182 pips since signal. Daily close's below 200 dma, target around 124.00 , revised to 123.50

AUDJPY still no defined direction. If begin to see negative price action in the 79.27 to 79.75 area, may present a sell signal, that failing could pop to around 80.60 As with all the AUD 's , selling rallies is the order of the day.

Missed the XAU (gold) entry 3 days ago, so am watching it closely to sell.

post-49444-0-01590100-1349819068_thumb.g

Edited by Paulo1

GOLD update.

Significant resistance zone stands above @ 1,770-1,1817 where the Feb 12 highs and the 76.4% fib retrace converged. Watching for a close below 1,763, and trying to sell a bounce to 1784 area.

Forgot to add the Daily Trendline (TL) broken also.

post-49444-0-19835600-1349834205_thumb.g

Edited by Paulo1

LongTerm.

The first entry [posted above at 1.2971 was cancelled as posted.

EU entry was 1.2830 , 9 pips higher than 2821 zone posted , stop 2793 current price 1.2925 plus 90 pips. resistance at 1.2940. support 2800

Still holding Cable, GBPJPY , AUDUSD and NZDUSD shorts.

Gold sell entry was triggered at 1773.50 stop 1774.16

Had a few other entries, sell on the USDCHF at 9415 for 63 pips and a sell on the EURAUD for 73 pips.

If you are reading this thread you shold be able to identify these entries as they are all using the same method, which has been posted many times. I can teach it easy enough, just takes sometime. Best you try and understand it for yourself and adapt it to your trading style. The key is risk on entry. Which is very small using my method, considering some people post signals with 200 pips stops.

Edited by Paulo1

Today I have been requested by a signal service company to stop providing trades on Thaivisa as they have been monitoring my trades for sometime. About 1 yr. In a world of money good things for free are becoming harder to find. So will see what happens as the offer will need to be pretty good as i don't need any stress or even need to trade at all.

Hope some of you have benefitted from the thread.

Edited by Paulo1

Today I have been requested by a signal service company to stop providing trades on Thaivisa as they have been monitoring my trades for sometime. About 1 yr. In a world of money good things for free are becoming harder to find. So will see what happens as the offer will need to be pretty good as i don't need any stress or even need to trade at all.

A black day for Chivastongue.png

BUY LIMITs EURAUD at 1.2587, 1.2550, Buy stop 2608 Stops below 1.2500 , pending your spread on the pair.

Chart posted as per entry signal at 1.2587 current price 2624 bid = appox 40 pips.LOL

post-49444-0-82733600-1350026646_thumb.g

post-49444-0-52592100-1350027099_thumb.g

Edited by Paulo1

You have my email mate. nothing has changed. smile.png

How are you doing on the trades i am sending? longtime no see. thought you were fishing and not trading,

Edited by Paulo1

How are you doing on the trades i am sending? longtime no see. thought you were fishing and not trading,

think you are confusing me, once in a while I have a Chivas thoughsmile.png .

Gotta love FX. Bit like Gotti, either love or hate him..

Edited by Paulo1

think you are confusing me, once in a while I have a Chivas thoughsmile.png .

Hmmmm, got pissed on it at 15, can not stand the smell, let alone drunk it. :)