Charge For Ice?

aussiecollin

If ice is delivered to your room door it's considered "room service" and they will almost always charge... unlike asking for extra towels, glasses, etc. which falls under "housekeeping".

I'm from the US and in budget hotels you can usually expect self-serve ice machines on each floor... but never in higher-end hotels!

In Thailand ice is typically 30 baht (budget hotel) to 100+ baht (high-end hotel).

Buy your ice at 7-Eleven for 5 baht a bag (buy your scotch there too). In Thailand there's almost always a 7-Eleven (or similar) within walking distance of your hotel.

If ice is delivered to your room door it's considered "room service" and they will almost always charge... unlike asking for extra towels, glasses, etc. which falls under "housekeeping".

I'm from the US and in budget hotels you can usually expect self-serve ice machines on each floor... but never in higher-end hotels!

In Thailand ice is typically 30 baht (budget hotel) to 100+ baht (high-end hotel).

Buy your ice at 7-Eleven for 5 baht a bag (buy your scotch there too). In Thailand there's almost always a 7-Eleven (or similar) within walking distance of your hotel.

We only charge 5baht at the F.C.

a cube :o

Edited by farangconnection

• 3 weeks later...
I am currently in the Tong Tarin in Surin.

As all the bars are closed so I got a bottle of scotch ....and called room service for a bucket of ice...they charged me Baht 120!!!!

Not worried about the money, but hotels usually supply ice free of charge!!??

Hic....

Hi

As suggested, you have been 'lipped off' big time.

Thong Tarin is an OK hotel but certainly not high end.

7/11 is opposite to the entrance road and at that price I would pick up a bag on the way into the Hotel.

Dave

I believe their may have been a tip included in that price. 20 Baht for the ice and 100 for the person delivering the ice. They expect you will not call downstairs to check the price. And if you do, the manager gets the 100 Baht.

:o

kenk3z

had this happening in BKK, while dining with friends at Vientiane Kitchen restaurant, they charged me 30฿ for refilling the ice bucket where beers were kept, it did surprise me. I know it's a live show restaurant popular with Asian tourist (mainly Japs & Koreans) but never been charged for this before, anywhere in Thailand.