Age Of Income Verification Letter

Hello,

I just returned from the Hua Hin immigration office. They rejected my application for a 1-year extension of my retirement visa because my income letter from the US embassy was too old (Dec., 2006). The lady said the embassy letter needed to be from 2008. She also offered to take care of everything for me for an extra 5000 baht (I declined).

So, I'm heading for Bangkok tomorrow. But, before I go to the US embassy, I was curious about people's recent experiences. Does the Bangkok immigration office require you to get a new income verification letter every year? Also, will I need to bring a copy of my house rental agreement?

RS

Hello,

I just returned from the Hua Hin immigration office. They rejected my application for a 1-year extension of my retirement visa because my income letter from the US embassy was too old (Dec., 2006). The lady said the embassy letter needed to be from 2008. She also offered to take care of everything for me for an extra 5000 baht (I declined).

So, I'm heading for Bangkok tomorrow. But, before I go to the US embassy, I was curious about people's recent experiences. Does the Bangkok immigration office require you to get a new income verification letter every year? Also, will I need to bring a copy of my house rental agreement?

RS

Yes. You have to get a new letter every year.

As far as I know all immigration offices require a new letter every year.

Suggest that you make an appointment before going to the US consulate. It will save time since you don't have to take a number.

Info here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

If you are thinking about going to immigration in Bangkok I think it would be wise not to since they are turning people away unless they live in Bangkok.

Bangkok from posts I have seen also want a new letter every year. I don't know about the rental agrement but it's always wise to take anything that you think you might need.

For your general interest, I have just obtained through the Thai Postal System an 'income letter' from the British Embassy in Bangkok. I sent the Embassy a copy of the main page of my passport, supporting income documentation and a banker's draft for 2,340 Baht. The cost breakdown was 2,040 Baht for the Embassy's Standard Certificate/Letter, 200 Baht to cover the cost to process the banker's draft and 100 Baht for return post by EMS. I posted the documents on a Thurday morning and received the new letter from the Embassy about 10 days later on the Monday afternoon. No hassle, no fuss and without the expense of a trip to and an overnight stay in Bangkok. A very useful and efficient service, especially if you are living up-country in Isaan and many hundereds of kilometers away from the capital city. :o

Hello,

RS

Just out of interest does the 5000 baht to take care of everything include the actual extension???? I would save yourself the headache and go with that option.

Edited by 2008bangkok