Kasem Store

nickha

Can anyone give me directions to Kasem? I would coming from Chanklan road. Thanks

Walk to the end of Changklan rd (against the traffic) to Tapae Rd intersection, turn left onto Tapae Rd then turn 2nd right (temple on the corner) onto the short contra-flow rd that joins Tapae and Chiang Moi rd .  200 metres further , at the intersection of Chiang Moi Rd, you will see a big store on the opposite left corner, selling sports wear. Kasem is 50 metres past there , next to the bedding store. 

and a third one on the Hang Dong road new Siam commercial bank in EQ square, before Tesco.

As thats where my bank is and I was there today I thought I would have a look.

Looks just the same as a Thai Mini Mart except it had a few pastries.

I was in and out in a minute looking for what made it special....what's the attraction?

Maybe the other stores are bigger or I am missing something?

The original Kasem Store, owned and operated by Mrs. Kasem on Ratchawong(?) Road, as described by Mr Khunt, has been there longer than I've known Chiang Mai. Back in the early 1980's Kasem's Store was the only place in Chiang Mai where one could buy decent bread, imported jams, cheese and various other western style foodstuffs.

The place is legendary and Khun Kasem has never changed apart from getting a bit older. Funny that, I haven't gotten any older in the past 25 years.

Maybe not but your physic has somewhat shifted and I would wager your nose and ears are larger than 25 years ago. On a good note you were mentioned the other day in the best of light, something about your demenor has improved over time. Have a delightful day OLD friend.

Ajarn; Thanks for the story, The ms Wilia is a class lady and will disprove most of the deragatory remarks made about the business community in Chiang Mai. I will hunt for parking to shop her store instead of using the parking provided, and shopping at some of the other so call expat food providers in Chiang Mai.

Ajarn; Thanks for the story, The ms Wilia is a class lady and will disprove most of the deragatory remarks made about the business community in Chiang Mai. I will hunt for parking to shop her store instead of using the parking provided, and shopping at some of the other so call expat food providers in Chiang Mai.

Yeah, parking is the bitch, but many folks double park with no problem :o

Great story,ajan about my first 'love' in CM....she has always made the best bread in town....my favorite is the multibgrain. I always fight the parking nightmare just to get some of her bread that I'm addicted to and to exchange flirtations with her. Small shop with lots to offer.

Long may she live!!!!

I always have lunch at the nodle shop three doors down frm her...absolutely the best in town.

. . . . . I will hunt for parking to shop her store instead of using the parking provided . . . . .

On a scooter I find the parking only slightly difficult.

Why 'slightly' difficult? I'd imagine that it would be very easy! :D

. . . . . I will hunt for parking to shop her store instead of using the parking provided . . . . .

This is Rasseru we're talking about. He has trouble walking and talking at the same time. Just staying upright on a scooter is probably the biggest challenge he has ever faced. Parking? Well that's yet to be mastered.

You'd be surprised. The double-parked cars can make it a bit of a bitch at times. Also, there is some kind of parking Nazi who likes to direct people to part their scooters so that cars can double park on the outside, making it hard for the scooters then to get out.

. . . . . This is Rasseru we're talking about. He has trouble walking and talking at the same time. Just staying upright on a scooter is probably the biggest challenge he has ever faced. Parking? Well that's yet to be mastered.

Your condition that the doctor tells you is incurable . . . is it by chance a pathological case of psychological projection? :o

. . . . . This is Rasseru we're talking about. He has trouble walking and talking at the same time. Just staying upright on a scooter is probably the biggest challenge he has ever faced. Parking? Well that's yet to be mastered.

Your condition that the doctor tells you is incurable . . . is it by chance a pathological case of psychological projection? :o

It could well be that too but it generally refers to the spotty member.

You'd be surprised. The double-parked cars can make it a bit of a bitch at times. Also, there is some kind of parking Nazi who likes to direct people to part their scooters so that cars can double park on the outside, making it hard for the scooters then to get out.

Wow! It seems like the best way to go to Kasems is on foot! :D

Stay away from that Spotted Dick! :o

Two world wars were won with the aid of Spotted Dick! :D

So thats where Aids came from.....

But don't forget Spam and its contribution to the two WW's

and its still remembered in the same vain today, as we all get tons of SPAM daily.....

Never got spotted dick emailed to me, though.

And yes, Kn Gee is top of the Chiang Mai Ladies. Funny though, I don't see her as getting older. One classy lady/

Gonzo

but the real point here is that kasem's is awesome. pastries, produce, dairy, coffee (whole bean coffee!), nutella, etc etc.

plus, every time i go in they give me something free, be it a handfull of crackers or a pulled pork bun. lovely people!

The lady may be a "lady" and no contest from me on that, BUT, Kasem's is way past it's "best by date"

15 - 20 years back it was about the only place you could get anything decent but now (for some time now in fact) you have Tops, and Rimping.

Rimpings bread selection offers about half of the entire floor space of Kasem's shop. It's (Kasem's) is also a pryck of a place to park.

I used to shop there extensively but don't both now (now for a long time in fact)

She would say she would get this or that (from large blocks of imported cheese, pickled onions "even took her an empty jar") but no way Jose, she never came up with the goods.

If you are a sentimentalist OK, Kasem's is OK, but if you want variety on a large scale it's not the place to shop.

Even Thais who have been operating in that area (the same road) for as long as "ma" has done, agree, "it's third generation and it's time has past"

Yep, no room for the locally run corner kind of shops with personal and friendly service and a bit of banter while buying one's produce. This kind of interaction in life is OUT. Who wants to talk to families and familiar faces?

In comes brands, chains, and big places where it's easy to park. This what we want, and we think you all should want it too. What on earth are you doing your shopping on sentimentality reasons? Why can't you be a real MODERN CONSUMER?

Incidentally, parking for kasem's can easily be done at the thai farmer's bank by the crossroads up by the petrol station.