Fixed Price Taxis, Gone

Crossy

Arrived sunday AM (early) romped through immigration in a minute, bag was second out :o

Went to the meter taxi line expecting my usual 600 Baht fixed fare (Pathum Thani). Nice lady asked where to and wrote out the slip, unusual thinks I, there's usually scrambling with the list to find the correct fare, not this time, just hands me the slip, no price on it.

In the taxi I'm waiting for the "you pay me xxxx", oooooh meter is on :D

Now the driver got lost (missed the Rangsit turn off the motorway) so we ended up too far north so I can't really comment on the meter fare being more than the fixed, has there has been an increase?

Arrived sunday AM (early) romped through immigration in a minute, bag was second out :o

Went to the meter taxi line expecting my usual 600 Baht fixed fare (Pathum Thani). Nice lady asked where to and wrote out the slip, unusual thinks I, there's usually scrambling with the list to find the correct fare, not this time, just hands me the slip, no price on it.

In the taxi I'm waiting for the "you pay me xxxx", oooooh meter is on :D

Now the driver got lost (missed the Rangsit turn off the motorway) so we ended up too far north so I can't really comment on the meter fare being more than the fixed, has there has been an increase?

I can't figure out if you're ironic.... or something else...

Why on earth you would prefer a fixed fare of 600 THB to go from Suva to Pathum Thani ?????

Suva to Rangsit is like 30 km. And then let's say you go further north...

Here are the new fares :" The new rates will start at 35 baht for the first kilometre, not two kilometres as before.

The fares will then be five baht a kilometre for the 2nd-12th kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th-20th kilometres, six baht a kilometre for the 20th-40th kilometres, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th-60th kilometres, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th-80th kilometres and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that."

So my point : 80 km = 470 THB. Plus 15km more to go to 600 THB. Total 95 km.

Check on Google Map distance calculator : Suva to your destination in Pathum Thani. 95 km or no ? It's simple.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-m...-calculator.htm

Well, I did a search, but can't find the word 'prefer' or any of its derivatives in my post :o

I was simply noting that this time the 'normal' outstation fixed fare which has been there since day one was gone and had been replaced by the use of the meter. I always treated the surcharge as merely a bit extra for the driver going somewhere that he would not get a return fare from, I have no issue with that.

Now coming to the distances, the way he took me on sunday (when he got lost) was about 69km, the regular route is 59km so I got stuffed for an extra 10km.

Thing is the meter was a whopping 750 Baht, special outstation rate, fixed meter, who knows? When I go back next month I'll check the distance on the 'proper' route.

Edited by Crossy

Well, I did a search, but can't find the word 'prefer' or any of its derivatives in my post :D

I was simply noting that this time the 'normal' outstation fixed fare which has been there since day one was gone and had been replaced by the use of the meter. I always treated the surcharge as merely a bit extra for the driver going somewhere that he would not get a return fare from, I have no issue with that.

Now coming to the distances, the way he took me on sunday (when he got lost) was about 69km, the regular route is 59km so I got stuffed for an extra 10km.

Thing is the meter was a whopping 750 Baht, special outstation rate, fixed meter, who knows? When I go back next month I'll check the distance on the 'proper' route.

Okay. However I would'nt say that what you call "the normal outstation fixed fare" is... normal. Because it has never existed. :o

Since day one, and believe me I spent time in Suva, we have :

-the public taxis station, where they give you a paper, where a 50 THB "waiting fee" for the driver applies (that you have to add to the fare), and where, yes, meters is the rule (supposed to be)

-then we have : AOT limousines. fixed fares.

-and then all... the rest : taxis that u can take upstairs on departure level, to avoid the 50 THB fee and/or queue, eventhough it's now more controled, the "part time chauffeurs" or rogue taxis, waiting on the parking for a big fat, "fixed rate" (outside on arrival level, they call you "sir ! sir ! sir taxi !" eventhough the public taxi station is located 10 meters away.

I do agree though that all those items have changed form and location several times since september 2006 (up, down, right, left, middle)... AOT needed 2 years to find a proper scheme. ;-)

Hence maybe the confusion.

And we escaped the worst, the first scheme, with their "public transportation station"... outside the airport... passengers were supposed to take a bus first, then go to this "station" in order to take a... taxi. Don't laugh, this was the official first scheme...

Anyway.

Last point : police is hitting the regular taxis drivers who negociate a fixed fares with their passengers... Check the news, drivers organized several protests recently.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...rd=taxi+protest

But in any case fixed fares were more appropriate for long distances...

Edited by cclub75

I've been through the airport many times and have never been given a slip with a fixed price, always meter.

The meter price of 750 baht does seem a bit step since I've gone from Don Muang to 30 km north of Korat and the meter showed just short of 1600 baht at the old rate scale. I bargained for 1800 and the driver wanted to know if he made a good deal so he ran the meter.

Fixed tariff for destinations outside metropolitan Bangkok for public taxis from the queue at Suvarnabhumi did exist in the past.

I dont know however if this has been changed since the flagfall and time/distance rates were recently adjusted upwards. Its logical considering that the new time/distance rate gets progressively higher as the distance increases. :o

Fixed tariff for destinations outside metropolitan Bangkok for public taxis from the queue at Suvarnabhumi did exist in the past.

I dont know however if this has been changed since the flagfall and time/distance rates were recently adjusted upwards. Its logical considering that the new time/distance rate gets progressively higher as the distance increases. :o

The demise of these fixed fares is exactly what I'm talking about. At least I now know that I'm not imagining the whole thing :D

Anyone who has actually taken a 'taxi meter' from Swampy to a 'remote' location (Pataya does not count as remote) would have been offered the fixed fare from the nicely laminated sheet. No doubt one could negotiate for the meter but to be honest, as the fee was only about 150Baht more than the meter cost going the other way I didn't bother (and that would be including the 50Baht airport fee), I just consider it as a fee for going somewhere that the driver won't be getting a fare back to BKK from.

I'll be checking the meter fare on the way back to Swampy next month.

Edited by Crossy

The demise of these fixed fares is exactly what I'm talking about. At least I now know that I'm not imagining the whole thing :D

Anyone who has actually taken a taxi from Swampy to a 'remote' location (Pataya does not count as remote) would have been offered the fixed fare from the nicely laminated sheet. No doubt one could negotiate for the meter but to be honest, as the fee was only about 150Baht more than the meter cost going the other way I didn't bother (and that would be including the 50Baht airport fee), I just consider it as a fee for going somewhere that the driver won't be getting a fare back to BKK from.

I'll be checking the meter fare on the way back to Swampy next month.

You mentioned Patumthani, and that is not exactly a remote location either. But paying a metered fare is probably better than the flat rate if you head to one of the larger provinces whose distance between borders could be much more than just crossing Bangkok. Depends on which end of the province one lives of course! :D

The 600 baht fare from the laminated sheet at the taxi desk (R. khlong 4 and beyond?) hasn't been around for at least 6 months. I haven't had any argument about using the meter for a long time, unlike the early days of the new airport where getting a taxi could get pretty stressful. If you were charged 750 baht one way then there is something wrong. Next time you go to the airport you should find the metered fare to be around 350 baht + tolls, even with the tarrif increase. 

The 600 baht fare from the laminated sheet at the taxi desk (R. khlong 4 and beyond?) hasn't been around for at least 6 months. I haven't had any argument about using the meter for a long time, unlike the early days of the new airport where getting a taxi could get pretty stressful. If you were charged 750 baht one way then there is something wrong. Next time you go to the airport you should find the metered fare to be around 350 baht + tolls, even with the tarrif increase. 

Well, it is about 10 weeks since I last arrived at Swampy, could well have been the last day of the fixed fares. Fare the other way always was about 460 + tolls. I will most definately be checking next time in each direction.

Interesting how the issue of taxi fares always stirs up the hornets nest, all I did was state my experience, maybe next time I won't bother :o

Edited by Crossy

I find it quite ironic that the fares were increased supposedly because petrol prices had increased when not one taxi I know runs on anything other than gas !

Even so, petrol prices are now back to what they were in mid 2007 about Bt22 a litre down from the balmy Bt46 a litre at the peak.

I'd say that at the new taxi rates, a long journey is not really viable on the meter. Pattaya to Buriram is 430km (I know I've driven it) so on the new scale that would be Bt3509 which is way more than I could get it for when fuel was at its peak. Pattaya at 120km or so is Bt874 on the meter or Bt959 if 130km.

I think the change in airport is the reason if there was / is one. From Don Muang, Sukhumvit Soi 2/4 etc. was about Bt150 so with toll about Bt220 or so. I know, I drove to the JW Marriott loads of times. Charging Bt600 or so was a complete rip off but very profitable. From the new airport, with the new fare structure, the fare runs about Bt300-350 or so including tolls.

Many more people know about the scams now as they were widely reported as the new airport came online. Thus, there is less profit, people will not pay Bt800 to downtown and drivers actually get more cash due to the new structure for fares.

Of course then you have the AOT "limos" !!!

When you get a taxi from the airport, they give you a white paper with Thai and English on it, and it clearly states in English that fares outside Bangkok are negotiated with the driver but inside Bangkok they will use the meter.

Also check that the person who writes down your destination has done so correctly. Two weeks ago I went from the airport to Soi 16 Sukhumvit and the not so competent girl at the taxi rank had written down Soi 12 and not bothered to put the hotel name on at all. Luckily I know my way around and stopped the driver at the Asoke interchange where he was preparing to do a u-turn and come back to Soi 12. I even told her in Thai ! (and my Thai is sufficient for that for sure).