Tiger Airways Hidden Charge

CuttySark

Ever book a Tiger Airways ticket?

1. Select the ticket price - (this is OK)

2. The system adds other charges like Tax, Fuel, etc - (OK, all airlines does that)

3. Ask you to enter all <deleted> details - (I hope I can charge the airlines for doing their work. As a revenge, I always put stupid PASSPORT # and EXP DATE just to annoy them at check-in, like A000000 01-Jan-1900)

4. Prompt you to buy/decline seat / bags - (Don't like this approach, but I still can accpect this)

5. Final price is show and you are happy about it - (OK let's go to payment)

6. SUDDENLY A FEW HUNDREDS SUDDENLY APPEARS WITHOUT WARNING OR EXPLANATION

If you dig real hard, that's the CONVINIENT FEE for using your credit card

My question is, Who's CONVINENCE? Theirs or mine?

http://www.catscity.com.my/modules/newbb/v...397&start=0

http://tigerairways-warning.com/page10.php...&category=1

http://comment.straitstimes.com/showthread.php?t=2321

http://www.xin.sg/yourviews/story.php?comment=85521

The convenience fee is for the convenience of using your Credit Card. The Bank charges them a percentage for clearing it into the bank account.

I only know this due to running a small business in the UK where I decided to start accepting Visa. I was only allowed to accept 50 pounds per transaction and the Bank would charge me 3% for using this service on each occasion. Needless to say, I dropped using this facility as my customers were less than pleased, however, nowadays it's normal practice everywhere and the real culprits are the Banks.

The convenience fee is for the convenience of using your Credit Card. The Bank charges them a percentage for clearing it into the bank account.

I only know this due to running a small business in the UK where I decided to start accepting Visa. I was only allowed to accept 50 pounds per transaction and the Bank would charge me 3% for using this service on each occasion. Needless to say, I dropped using this facility as my customers were less than pleased, however, nowadays it's normal practice everywhere and the real culprits are the Banks.

I agree with the OP on this one, if company's like Tiger (who don't really offer alternatives to booking online) wish to charge customers a fee for using a credit card (like it is a priviledge or something to fly with them) I will take my business elsewhere.

Merchant fees have been the norm for ever, part of the benefit as a retailer is that the money is guaranteed (compared to the old days of rubber cheques) and by offering the service, you get access to VISA / Mastercard/AMEX cardholders potentially.

Passing this back to the customer is wrong. If Tiger has problem with merchant fees, then either stop taking the card as acceptance or grind their bank for a better rate.

Tell me, what percentage of people who book online pay by credit card - all??? Then build in the cost and give a discount to cash payers of 3% as an incentive.

I agree with the OP on this one, if company's like Tiger (who don't really offer alternatives to booking online) wish to charge customers a fee for using a credit card (like it is a priviledge or something to fly with them) I will take my business elsewhere.

Merchant fees have been the norm for ever, part of the benefit as a retailer is that the money is guaranteed (compared to the old days of rubber cheques) and by offering the service, you get access to VISA / Mastercard/AMEX cardholders potentially.

Passing this back to the customer is wrong. If Tiger has problem with merchant fees, then either stop taking the card as acceptance or grind their bank for a better rate.

Tell me, what percentage of people who book online pay by credit card - all??? Then build in the cost and give a discount to cash payers of 3% as an incentive.

I agree with you, however, I think they are passing on the fee to the customer for having this facility and calling it Convenience Fee. It would also be nice to be able to pay in cash and get a discount but I don't think that will happen any day soon either.

I may be wrong on this one, but I always believed that making the customer pay the 3% fee is against the rules of

credit card companies.

correct me if I'm wrong.

The answer may depend on the country your card was issued in. In the past you were probably correct however credit card regulations have changed so it's no longer the case, at least in some countries, so ask your card company. You may be surprised at the reply.

Never seen the point in getting upset about this charge and that charge, it's the total price you need to look at. Most of the time Tiger and the other budget airlines, AA and JS are still cheaper than Thai, Singapore etc. Make your decision based on price, convenience and value for money, then book with the airline that best fits your requirements. 

Sorry my mistake. Tiger did not suddenly slip in the CONVENIENCE FEES at the last last mintue. I don't mind if they do. They show you the amount that you think you are going to pay. In this case 4,3750.00 Baht. There is a small price saying that "this amount may change based on appicable convenience fees".

There are 2 payment option provided.

1. Voucher - don't know wehere to get them

2. Credit crad - I suppose 99.9% pay via this method.

Then are you to enter cc # think that 4,375 is to be deducted from you credit card, as that was the last number shown to you.

However, oncce you enter your cc #, booom, 4,595 is taken from you without warning. WHERE the heII did the 220 Baht come from? I have to search up and down reading all small prints to realised what CONVINIENCE FEE is. And 220 baht out of 4,375 is more than 5%.

AGAIN, I REPEAT. "I don't mind if they tell me that they will charge me 4,595 in total". I WILL GALDLY PAY IT.

However they told me 4375.00 plus small print This amount may change, based on applicable convenience fees. Then take 4,595 from me.

Just imagine this unlikely senario.

1. Small print somewhere say CON FEE of 5,000 Baht.

2. You click to purchase something, at check out it shouw "100 Baht This amount may change, based on applicable con fee."

3. You enter your credit card booom, 5,100 is taken from you.

4. You are shock, call the help desk, wait an hour, and was told that product purchase is not refunable and I should have READ THE SMALL PRINT about CON FEE.

= = === ===

To be fair, AirAsia also have something call "Insurance". Half way throught the booking, after you agree on a price and enter your details, they automaticlly slip the insurance in. However, they are more ethically in metioning that if you don't want it, you can remove it in the payment screen. AirAsia charge the amount it display on the payment screen.

I don't remember having any issue with JetStar. However I have not flow them for quite a while. Anyone know if they tru to pull a fast one?

2. The system adds other charges like Tax, Fuel, etc - (OK, all airlines does that)

3. Ask you to enter all <deleted> details - (I hope I can charge the airlines for doing their work. As a revenge, I always put stupid PASSPORT # and EXP DATE just to annoy them at check-in, like A000000 01-Jan-1900)

4. Prompt you to buy/decline seat / bags - (Don't like this approach, but I still can accpect this)

I'm sorry to say, but you get what you pay for with these cheap airlines

How else are you supposed to pay for an online service except by card ? You could call it transparent that they tell you abut the fees rather than just incorporating them into the fee structure.

In any respect, Tiger never come close to the cheapest fare to Singapore from Bangkok. Usually beaten by Air Asia by about Bt1000-2000.

I may be wrong on this one, but I always believed that making the customer pay the 3% fee is against the rules of

credit card companies.

correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers

onzestan

The law was changed in the UK, several years ago, to allow retailers to surcharge the credit-card fees, although many of us continued to absorb the charges, as a cost of trading.

I recall that Amex wanted 5%, not 3% as per Visa, presumably to cover the extra cost of their generous cash-back/rewards schemes ?

Tigerair is offering free seats again, but with fuel surcharges, airport taxes etc.. with an extra S$5 per sector, pax booked with credit card. A flight from Sin - Bkk - Sin cost S$163.00, with 1 pce baggage add S$15.00.

Booked on Airasia last week paid only S$83.00 all inclusive. (no fuel charges) :o

Tiger Airways is notorious for trying to outsmart the customer. It is probably a "Singaporean" trait (Uniquely Singapore) except in this case the top man at Tiger is a Scotsman!

When the THB700 airport tax at Suvarnabhumi was first announced, it was included in the total price of the ticket by Jetstar and Thai Air Asia, Tiger Airways chose to remain silent about it (to make its fare look cheaper) but surprised the passenger at the airport with collection of the THB700 airport tax.

The latest trick to outsmart its customers is at the Budget terminal in Singapore. At check-in they pretend to be unconcerned about the carry-on bags you have. But at the entrance of the departure hall you are directed through a "luggage check" corridor (shielded from the outside) where a waiting Tiger Airways staff will weigh your bags...and levy an excess baggage charge. Very clever Singaporeans/Scotsman (probably Singaporeanized by now)!

Btw, Tiger tells you its cheaper to use the Budget terminal at Singapore. They mean its cheaper for them, not you.

Nothing is too petty at Tiger Airways. They have made it an art of outsmarting you.

Btw, Tiger tells you its cheaper to use the Budget terminal at Singapore. They mean its cheaper for them, not you.

Nothing is too petty at Tiger Airways. They have made it an art of outsmarting you.

Right on the spot....both Tiger Airways and JetStar are offering free seats to many destinations, paying only tax and admin. charges....For SIN/HCM/SIN flights, Tiger Airways charges a fee of 166 or 130 Sin dollars depending on travel dates, whereas JetStar fee is only 98 SIN dollar..I have checked it on both their websites..

Mind you Tiger operates from a minimal facility Budget Terminal..JetStar from Terminal 1 with full facility.. :D:o

I have previously been a supporter of Tiger, having travelled with them a number of times between Oz and Thailand.

However, whenever I look at potential bookings these days, it seems they are often no cheaper than the full service airlines - particularly when you factor in charges for a decent seat, a reasonable baggage allowance, convenience fees etc.

One particularly annoying feature of their "service" is the (in)ability to make complaints:

Why do you not provide email or phone feedback?

Tiger Airways wants to provide quality service to our customers through meaningful correspondence instead of casual e-mail responses. We believe all our customers deserve professional and well thought out letters in response to their concerns and that is why we put so much effort into researching and investigating every letter we write. We answer every letter we receive in the order that it arrives, with our best efforts to the matter concerned and whoever the person involved. This helps to keep our service level to customers high while keeping our costs low

What codswallop!

I think everyone who flies Tiger Air should file a complaint with their credit card company.( I did). Adding charges after the final screen in an on-line booking system is at least unethical and probably illegal. I tried to complain to Tiger but they do not have an e-mail address :o:D . As for the budget terminal at Changi it is total crap. I fly Air Asia to Singapore now, its cheaper and you fly into the real airport, not the barn around the corner. You can stay airside in the main terminal. The budget terminal does not have luggage carriers inside and no place to rest like the main terminal

The latest trick to outsmart its customers is at the Budget terminal in Singapore. At check-in they pretend to be unconcerned about the carry-on bags you have. But at the entrance of the departure hall you are directed through a "luggage check" corridor (shielded from the outside) where a waiting Tiger Airways staff will weigh your bags...and levy an excess baggage charge. Very clever Singaporeans/Scotsman (probably Singaporeanized by now)!

Is this a regular event or just a random check? Are they strick about the 7kg hand carry limt? My carry on usually weight 10 to 12 kg. Never have any problem with AirAsia at Changi or Swampy before. I have never been to Singapore Budget terminal.

So the legal side, can an online company say the cost is "$X This amount may change, based on applicable con fee."

And go on deducting $Y from you without telling you DIRECTLY what $Y is?

You have to go search the small print, which is too late. Money already taken from your card.

I have flown with tiger Per-Sin-BKK many times and only because of the cheap prices. I agree that it is annoying all these extra addtions to the final price, but I factor that in. I have also been flying Per-Sin with tiger, then transfering to T1 changi (I think) and getting to Bkk with jetstar. This commonly works out cheaper, i get into bkk about 1hr later, but get to leave bkk 1 hr later also (not such an early start!) also means I get the layover with wireless and all the other facilities.

My question..I've not flown Airasia before..have they got over their initial teething problems? hows the service? I realise its a budget so not to expect much..but tigers in non-existant. At least jetstar try and make you comfortable!

cheers

QANTAS also charge it - whether booked direct or though an agent.

Some of the agencies in Oz (eg: Best Flights) also charge a per leg booking fee, thus a SYD - LON via BKK will cost an extra $32 in unnecessary fees.

Thank you for posting this, OP!

Last night I had the choice of spending 3650 Baht with Tiger or 4119 Baht with Jetstar for a return BKK-SING-BKK and I chose Jetstar for 4,119 NET; simply because I am against misleading and false advertising methods by any company, be it an ariline or an online pharmacy store. I don't care. The airline that gets my business is is the airline that does not have "hidden charges". And not only that, why risk it? 3650 + 200 Baht is 2850 Baht. A few hundered Baht difference with Jetstar. So, Jetstar gets my busniness and not only that thier seats are nicer and overall service is far superior than Tiger's and Air Asia's in my opinion.

By the way, anyone recommend a nice little hotel with attached bathroom and a TV in Singapore for under 1500 Baht :o

Edited by Flow

credit card companies.

correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers

onzestan

depends on the country, in Austria at my company I had to pay almost 4 % and sign that I keep that confidential.

While in Thailand it is not in the contract (or it was in Thai and I didn't read it, hahahaha).

In Europe it always worked at small shops to ask for a discount, if you pay cash instead of creditcard.

I have flown with tiger Per-Sin-BKK many times and only because of the cheap prices. I agree that it is annoying all these extra addtions to the final price, but I factor that in. I have also been flying Per-Sin with tiger, then transfering to T1 changi (I think) and getting to Bkk with jetstar. This commonly works out cheaper, i get into bkk about 1hr later, but get to leave bkk 1 hr later also (not such an early start!) also means I get the layover with wireless and all the other facilities.

My question..I've not flown Airasia before..have they got over their initial teething problems? hows the service? I realise its a budget so not to expect much..but tigers in non-existant. At least jetstar try and make you comfortable!

cheers

AirAsia is OK. Don't have any free service, so don't expect it. I find the price is generally a touch lower than Tiger or JetStar (when comparing the same route), because the tax/fee/etc is slightly lower than Tiger/JetStar.

AirAsia check-in baggage charges IS A LOT (by several multitute) CHEAPER than Tiger. Not sure about JetStar (have not flown quite a while).

AirAsia in general is quite full. Noise level (I mean human noise, not engine noise) is a little high making is difficult to sleep.

AirAsia have never weigh my carry-on bag. I have heard (someone please confirm) that Tiger Airways pull their pax aside before immigration in Singapore Budget Terminal to weigh your carry-on bag just to annoy you.

Is this a regular event or just a random check? Are they strick about the 7kg hand carry limt? My carry on usually weight 10 to 12 kg. Never have any problem with AirAsia at Changi or Swampy before. I have never been to Singapore Budget terminal.

Baggage check at Tiger's budget terminal in Singapore is 100%. Would any airline go out of their way to set up a corridor leading into an inspection room (like a fishtrap) with weighing machine and attendant just for random checks? Repeat: this is "Uniquely Singapore" (Singapore Tourism Board's punchline!)

Before clicking the "Purchase" key at Tiger Airways, make sure you read the fine print thoroughly. For instance, you are no longer allowed free check-in baggage. None. (Tiger presumes that every of its poor customer is traveling as a 1-night stayer). Handcarry luggage is limited to 7 Kg. The empty bag alone weighs probably 1 Kg.

One more catch at Tiger Airways: if you want to change your travel itinerary Online at tiger airways.com, the system will not allow you to book the airfare on sale for the new travel date despite it being available if you were to make a new booking. You have to pay a much higher fare plus a change fee (about S$40).

Thanks for the info regarding compulsary weighing of handcarry luggage. Must appreciated.

"if you want to change your travel itinerary Online at tiger airways.com, the system will not allow you to book the airfare on sale for the new travel date despite it being available if you were to make a new booking. You have to pay a much higher fare plus a change fee (about S$40)." --- AIRASIA system is also similar; better throw away old ticket and buy another one.

By the way, anyone recommend a nice little hotel with attached bathroom and a TV in Singapore for under 1500 Baht :o

This may (barely) meet your needs:

Haising Hotel

37 Jalan Besar Singapore 208801

Tel: (65) 62981223 Fax: (65) 62986609

They have a BIG internet presense, and TINY rooms, albeit clean, and with attached bathroom. They have no lift, and try to charge you an extra S$5.00 for a 'window', which amounted to a small portal near the ceiling, through which the always-on hall lamp illuminated the room while I tried to sleep.

On the plus side, (I mentioned cleanliness), it is very near Little India, the MRT, Bugis Street, etc., and was only about S$50.00. Plenty of good food and transport around. Very helpful staff.

Like the subject of this thread, Tiger Airways, it seems they try to outsmart you with their website, but deliver on a much smaller scale than you are led to believe. VERY SMALL ROOMS.

Still, there isn't much in that price range in Singapura. Good enough to do a bit of sightseeing, and get your Thai visa sorted.

Sateev

• 2 months later...

hi all ..

one question regarding tiger airways ...

they just sent a mail that they changed flight time of my flight.

this flight does not match with my connecting flight.

they have a button in that mail and they ask me to click on it.

this button says "click here if you are still flying with us".

this sounds like there would an option to cancel this flight.

is that possible?

does anybody habe information about that?

and if its possible, will the total ticket fare be refunded?

Edited by bubu

hi all ..

one question regarding tiger airways ...

they just sent a mail that they changed flight time of my flight.

this flight does not match with my connecting flight.

they have a button in that mail and they ask me to click on it.

this button says "click here if you are still flying with us".

this sounds like there would an option to cancel this flight.

is that possible?

does anybody habe information about that?

and if its possible, will the total ticket fare be refunded?

CALL THEM - you should get a full refund in this case.