Thanksgiving Dinner In Bangkok

Saudade

Girl X... the Atrium at the Landmark Hotel is a perfectly comfortable environment for solos...

But their price is pricey for a single, whereas they have a 50% discount for a party of 4... Why not arrange a Thanksgiving pissup of like minded folks...

Roadhouse in Silom, likewise, would be fine for a single, though the poster above didn't mention their prices, and I've never been there for Thanksgiving, so I can't vouch for their offerings.

I'd say a single lady would be fine at the Bourbon Street buffet as well... since the old geezers there generally have different feminine companionship in mind... :o

Someone mentioned Big John's. Here are the details:

Big John's @ The Sports Corner

All You Can Eat 350Baht

Thursday, November 27, 2008 at 7:00pm

Sukhumvit Soi 20 (Just behind the 7eleven on the corner)

Phone: 0834380599

"All you can eat Roast Turkey, BBQ'd Smoked Pork Ribs, Stuffing, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Peas, Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Corn, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Icecream & more just 350 Baht."

Then there's Koi:

A. A la Carte

B. Special Setmenu

1. Starter: Gardensalad

Maincourse: 300g traditional Turkey (original American Receipe)

(with your choice of Mashed Potato or Baked Potato)

Grilled Corn

Dessert: Apple Pie or molten Chocolate Cake with Vanila Icecream

Price: 699.00 thb ++

2. Starter: Gardensalad

Maincourse: 500g traditional Turkey (original American Receipe)

(with your choice of Mashed Potato or Baked Potato)

Grilled Corn

Dessert: Apple Pie or Tiramisu

Price: 999.00 thb ++

Koi, Bridge, F.lounge Bangkok

Thursday, November 27, 2008 at 6:00pm

Koi Restaurant

Sukhumvit Soi 20

Phone: 022581590

There's always Silver Dollar in Washington square for the budget minded. I can guarantee you'll love it & the prices is right. Prolly get free seconds if you ask nicely.

Bully's is buffet style - all you can eat; Smoked Turkey Virginia Ham & all the usual side dishes.

i answered my own question as well.

yesterday i went to greyhound restaurant, on thong lor, at j-avenue and they have a month-plus long holiday menu.

for 320B you get turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and peas. the size wasnt huge (uh.... at all) But, it was good.

and i have missed that meal for a looong time. I left quite happy.

If however, you are expecting american size portions, no luck, but the presentation is lovely :o

so yeah, they have that dish, and some other holiday-esque things on a special menu until January 1.

as it's next to my house, i can envision returning...

I know the Sports Corner bar a bit...just enough to have stopped by one night...and then went traveling onward...

But I didn't know anything, until checking/reading tonight after the post above, about Big John's food there.... As best as I can tell, Big John's is an Aussie guesthouse operator located out by Thong Lor who's branched out a bit into selling meat pies and such thru Villa markets and some other places...

Anyone have any experience with what Big John's does with an American Thanksgiving dinner.... No vegemite please... :o

Do they even raise turkeys in this country? If they don't (as I suspect) means they are imported from Australia or USA I would guess.

Yes they do. Up in Loei there is a huge turkey farm with 1000's of turkeys.

From the internet:

Muang Loei Turkey Farm

Situated at Ban Ko Rai Yai, approximately 9 kilometers from the city, the farm offers a unique opportunity to see thousands of turkeys. To get there from the city, take Highway No. 203 (Loei-Dan Sai) to the kilometer 9 marker, turn left and proceed for approximately 50 meters. The farm opens daily from 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. Contact 01 5455352 or 01 661 7511 for more information.

Update on Bully's Pub Thanksgiving Dinner, near Sukhumvit Soi 4

They had their Thanksgiving signboard out yesterday: 590 baht from 1 pm to 10 pm on Thanksgiving Day.

Advertising turkey, ham, and various of all the trimmings.... I believe it is a buffet.....

Well J Chandler & I & my girlfriend went there for Turkey at 3 pm (Bully's)

J Chandler ate his off a platter. We all agreed it was perfectly cooked & the price was good for what you got.

We will be back there for Christmas & New year.

Tomorrow Silver Dollar.

post-8282-1227798902_thumb.jpg

post-8282-1227798917_thumb.jpg

Girl X... the Atrium at the Landmark Hotel is a perfectly comfortable environment for solos...

I went to the Atrium last night. Yes, it is suitable for singles. But I was disappointed with the meal.

The turkey itself was acceptable, when they had it available on the line, that is. THey were continually running out. The "stuffing" was some sort of cheesey thing, and they didn't even have turkey gravy. The desserts were rather limited, and the Japanese dishes (yes, they had them) were really not very good. And at 150 baht for a soft drink, that added up quickly on top of the 1,300 baht dinner price.

On the other hand, the hot cranberry sauce was unique and quite good, and with the mashed potatoes and beef gravy, the combination was great. And I have to admit that the prime rib was the best I have ever had in BKK.

Bonobo...sorry to hear that.... My experience there last year was flawless, and I don't recall them being short of anything that time, especially turkey. And they had a very large selection of deserts (pies, puddings, cakes, etc)... I couldn't even begin to try everything that was on offer.

Was it very busy/crowded when you were there?? Last year, the day before by phone, they told me I'd have to come later like 9 pm because all their early reservations were filled. Then on Thanksgiving Day afternoon, they called me and asked if I wanted to change to come earlier, basically at their opening time. I said sure and arrived at the start. Probably for the first two hours, it was very quiet as groups/families kind of trickled in... But after 2 hours, it had pretty much filled up and people were lining up at the food tables. By then, I was already finished...

Bonobo...sorry to hear that.... My experience there last year was flawless, and I don't recall them being short of anything that time, especially turkey. And they had a very large selection of deserts (pies, puddings, cakes, etc)... I couldn't even begin to try everything that was on offer.

Was it very busy/crowded when you were there?? Last year, the day before by phone, they told me I'd have to come later like 9 pm because all their early reservations were filled. Then on Thanksgiving Day afternoon, they called me and asked if I wanted to change to come earlier, basically at their opening time. I said sure and arrived at the start. Probably for the first two hours, it was very quiet as groups/families kind of trickled in... But after 2 hours, it had pretty much filled up and people were lining up at the food tables. By then, I was already finished...

Landmark has new chefs, and a couple of young looking expat "managers / interns" running around.

I got there early before some of the larger groups had showed up, so it was not too busy at first, but the turkey was being served only once while I was there. It was out the rest of the time. There were no pies and only one weird sort of cake thing, then some nice fruit and various mousse-type offerings.

The pasta offerings were adequate, and they had a few fish and one beef stew-type dish. There were a handful of Thai and Chinese dishes as well, and a plebian salad bar. The potatoes were offered in a small dish, so they were constantly out, but they were acceptable.

As bkkjames pointed out, the farang staff seemed rather young, and I thought they were not too knowledgable. I even asked the head chef if they had turkey gravy, and he kept pointing to the beef gravy. When I told him it was not turkey, he admitted it was beef. And when I asked him if he had traditional stuffing, he pointed at the cheesey thing rolled inside some processed turkey meat.

Don't get me completely wrong. I stuffed myself to bursting, mostly with the prime rib (quite excellent), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and gravy. There was enough food to get quite full. I was just disappointed at the quality and lack of traditional Thanksgiving Day food.

I should have paid less and gone to some of the other places where some of the other posters in this thread ate, or I should have paid more and eaten at the Grand Hyatt Erawan.

OK.. then obviously they've undergone some changes there, based on what you and BKKJames say...

Last year, I met and talked at length with the Atrium's manager then, a mid-30s Thai guy who was absolutely professional and congenial. And he had an assistant manager in a similar age Thai woman who took great care of me thru the evening...

Last Thanksgiving, there wasn't a farang manager or staff anywhere to be found in the restaurant...

I walked into Bourbon Street at about 8. There was no room, so I walked around and looked at the spread. It was pretty dreadful. Both the roasted turkey and the deep fried turkey had run out, and weren't replaced in the 10 minutes I stayed there. About 1/3 of the trays had run out, including the oysters, shrimp, and mozzarella sticks. The food that was on display looked just okay, but not great. Kind of like they had prepared it the previous night and then re-heated everything. The staff didn't look like they knew what they were doing. Certainly not worth the 900 baht they were asking. Walked out and went over to Bully's. The maple-roasted turkey was amazing. Two kinds of gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin soup and 3 kinds of pie (apple, pumpkin, and pecan). Loads of other stuff too. The stuffing looked processed, but it was still good. Stuffed myself completely. Well worth the 590 baht.

I'd go again tonight if Bully's was serving it up again. Will definitely go there next year.

Durianfan... I was wondering about that. I also had a great Thanksgiving buffet on Thursday at Bullys....

Are you saying they offered it again today/Friday??

It was so good, I was thinking about going back also.... But their ads only talked about Thursday, and made no mention of Friday.

For those still hankering for more turkey etc., I noticed the Texas Lone Star Bar in Wash. Square today had turkey sandwiches on their board specials menu. I'd guess those might continue at least for a while...

Anyone know of other places that will continue to offer Thanksgiving type meals even now that the official holiday is over???

I don't mind leftovers at all... At home, usually, the second day meal always seems to taste better than the first.... I think the extra day gives the bird time to settle...

^No, I don't think they offered it tonight. Only on Thursday (sadly). I remember last year there were a few restaurants that added turkey dishes to their menus after Thanksgiving. There's a restaurant in Pattaya, The Robin's Nest, that had turkey sandwiches on the menu for about 4 months afterwards!

Even though it's already the Monday after Thanksgiving, I'm still having turkey cravings....and found them answered today from a very unexpected place...

Originally, I went to order some Mexican food from Sunrise Tacos today via ChefsXP. But while looking at their online menu, I found Sunrise has added, at least for delivery, a quartet of turkey menu items that seem like they will stay thru the holidays.

HOLIDAY SPECIALS

[ g7h1 ] Sizzling Turkey Feast 478.00

[ g7h2 ] Turkey Burrito with Salsa and Cilantro 213.00

[ g7h3 ] (Trio of) Turkey Tacos 213.00

[ g7h4 ] Turkey Quesadillas 213.00

Intrigued, I tried the Sizzling Turkey Feast, which was quite good despite the high-ish price. They advertise it in the menu description as a half pound of sliced Butterball turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, sausage-apple-cranberry stuffing, roasted bell peppers and onions, a slice of cranberry sauce, and a complimentary slice of pumpkin pie included.

The turkey was excellent, a good portion as advertised, very tender and moist, and good slices provided. The portions of potatoes and vegetables likewise were good and tasty. My only quibble was the size of the stuffing portion, which was tasty but not much more than a spoonfull -- maybe half the portion of the mashed potatoes. All in all, it made for a very nice post-Thanksgiving meal.

Now I'm hungry to try a couple of the other turkey menu offerings.... :o

Anyone else spotting post-Thanksgiving turkey offerings around town???

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey everyone!

By the way, Queens Park has a wonderful Thanksgiving buffet and I recall it being reasonably priced.

But a friend told me that somewhere in Washington Square there is a place that has a FREE Thanksgiving buffet. He may have been referring to the Silver Dollar (not real excited about eating in that shithole to be honest) but you guys are saying it's 380 baht.

Thanksgiving is special to me, so I'd rather pay a little more and get a nice meal.

There's another place next door to the Silver Dollar where they are probably offering a 'free' Thanksgiving meal (with one drink purchase). Its called "Texas" and is quite a bit larger than the Silver Dollar. Its not the JW Marriot but I wouldn't call it a 'shit hole' especially since it provides free food on a regular basis to many customers who grumble about having to buy one drink to get their meal. In this case, you do get much more than you pay for! The owner, who has since passed away, was a very generous guy who deserves a lot of praise for really making a home for guys who don't have that much money to throw around but want to have a good time on the weekend. I doubt that he made a huge profit on the place and whoever has taken over (presumably his wife), has continued this tradition of free food for its patrons.

Unless you are in the habit of giving away free food to people you don't even know, I'd refrain from calling anyplace a 'shit hole.'

Hey everyone!

By the way, Queens Park has a wonderful Thanksgiving buffet and I recall it being reasonably priced.

But a friend told me that somewhere in Washington Square there is a place that has a FREE Thanksgiving buffet. He may have been referring to the Silver Dollar (not real excited about eating in that shithole to be honest) but you guys are saying it's 380 baht.

Thanksgiving is special to me, so I'd rather pay a little more and get a nice meal.