Missing Your Mother....tongue

GuestHouse

Quite a lot I'd guess especially when it comes to cultural differences.

There have been more than a few occasions when I've just got 'Thai-ed' out and had to head to Bangers or Patters for a weekend of Brit/Irish/Aussie/US pub chat before I went mad.

Forums like this help but theres no substitute for some good face tp face banter and a few beers with ones own.

I don't speak Thai very well, and so often communicated in slow simple English. And when I came back to the UK it took me maybe a week or more to stop talking slowly and simply.

What I couldn't accept was that my 5 year old niece understood my English better than my Thai university English students.

I find myself struggling for the appropriate words in my mother tongue, English, as I do not use it enough.

When I do speak English here, I have to dumb it down.

There is no point in using big words when they will not be understood.

It really gets to me sometimes and THE FORUM is great for chatting and reading English again. Sometimes I can get lost in a book for hours but all of this is still not enough for me. My mother tongue is Afrikaans and if it wasn't for Marty in Pattaya, I wouldn't speak any of that. Even then, I have to think of words to express myself. And Afrikaans is such an expressive language. I miss that. :o

When I do speak English here, I have to dumb it down.

There is no point in using big words when they will not be understood.

Are you talking about this forum Astral!!?? :D

No, I was refereing to talking with Thai's,

but the same applies in the forum with all the non native English speakers,

like the Yanks and Ozzies!! :o

I prefer communicating with farangs in this forum rather than face-to-face in, most cases. Keeps my life more peaceful :D

As for using English or Thai, I feel equally comfortable with either language (not saying my profiency is equal). I simply enjoy communicating with all folks from anywhere on most any topic. I don't fear making language mistakes, only in being misunderstood, but I never lack confidence that I'll be able to make myself clear in any situation even if I do have the language skills of a Prathom student (or annubaan 6? :o )