Retirement Visa

Reading letters in ( www.pattayatoday.net ) its been possible for the last 2 years or so to get your 12 month Retirement Ext on your visa in your home country. The adventage being you would not have to leave Thai for 12 months.

I do not think a Thai Consulate can or will offer a Visa extension of any kind. What makes you think it will ? Do you know of someone who has done it ...... and I mean "know", as in having seen the Passport rather than hearing word of mouth.

I do not think a Thai Consulate can or will offer a Visa extension of any kind. What makes you think it will ? Do you know of someone who has done it ...... and I mean "know", as in having seen the Passport rather than hearing word of mouth.

He's presumably talking about an O-A visa which enables a one year stay from first arrival. In my opinion it really much easier to get an O and extend it for a year at a time in Thailand. The O-A requires medical and police clearances from home, whereas the police clearance is not, and a Thai medical as required by the Immigration office is much simpler.

From the Royal thai embassy Brussels Belgium:

Iii. Channels To Submit Visa Application

Applicants can submit their applications both at the Thai embassy / consular missions where they have their permanent residence or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand. (Address : Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration 1, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Telephone 287-4948 (direct line) or 287-3101-10 ext. 2236)

Applications from aboard.

Visa applications to be submitted at a Thai Embassy or Consulate overseas must include the following documents:

- A visa application form.

- Acopy of passport or travel document valid for not less than 1 year and 6 months.

- Evidence of a personal bank account holding the equivalent of not less than 800,000 baht or personal monthly income of not less than 65,000 baht or the combined total of a personal bank account and salary [(monthly income) x 12] equivalent to not less than 800,000 baht.

A Thai Embassy or Consulate will forward copies of the documents requested above to the Immigration Bureau for consideration.

The Immigration Bureau will inform the Visa and Travel Documents Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the results of the application within 7 working days. The Foreign Affairs Ministry will then pass on the application results to the embassy or consulate concerned.

Applications from within Thailand

Visa applications submitted within Thailand fall into 3 categories:

>>>etc etc

I did try this at the Brussels embassy 2 week ago though, but looking at my passport with a valid multiple entries non-immigrant O until 21 dec 2004 they told me to get a police report and retirement income statement translated and legalised and get the extension in Bagkok..... :o

And I do know of at least 3 guys who got their O-A from a USA consulate

When they re-enter Thailand after a trip they noticed the new entry stamp was for an other year (They posted this on an other board)

Hope this helps....off to Bangkok tomorrow...

From the Royal thai embassy Brussels Belgium:

Iii. Channels To Submit Visa Application

Applicants can submit their applications both at the Thai embassy / consular missions where they have their permanent residence or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand. (Address : Section 1, Sub-Division 1, Immigration 1, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Telephone 287-4948 (direct line) or 287-3101-10 ext. 2236)

Applications from aboard.

Visa applications to be submitted at a Thai Embassy or Consulate overseas must include the following documents:

- A visa application form.

- Acopy of passport or travel document valid for not less than 1 year and 6 months.

- Evidence of a personal bank account holding the equivalent of not less than 800,000 baht or personal monthly income of not less than 65,000 baht or the combined total of a personal bank account and salary [(monthly income) x 12] equivalent to not less than 800,000 baht.

A Thai Embassy or Consulate will forward copies of the documents requested above to the Immigration Bureau for consideration.

The Immigration Bureau will inform the Visa and Travel Documents Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the results of the application within 7 working days. The Foreign Affairs Ministry will then pass on the application results to the embassy or consulate concerned.

Applications from within Thailand

Visa applications submitted within Thailand fall into 3 categories:

>>>etc etc

I did try this at the Brussels embassy 2 week ago though, but looking at my passport with a valid multiple entries non-immigrant O until 21 dec 2004 they told me to get a police report and retirement income statement translated and legalised and get the extension in Bagkok..... <_<

And I do know of at least 3 guys who got their O-A from a USA consulate

When they re-enter Thailand after a trip they noticed the new entry stamp was for an other year (They posted this on an other board)

Hope this helps....off to Bangkok tomorrow...

Valid until 21 December 2004 cannot be right for a multi O

An extension of stay for one year is done inside Thailand, and is the normal method of stay here for those that meet the requirements. No visa run is ever needed when on these extensions.

A long stay visa (for retirement) can be issued by a Consulate that includes a pre approved first year stay with the class O-A Non Immigrant Visa. With this you qualify for extension in your home country (medical/funds/police report etc) and on arrived are given a one year permission to stay stamp. The older, and still used method is to obtain a 90 day stamp and extend your stay inside Thailand at immigration after funds are deposited here. In either case after the first year all extensions must be done inside Thailand at an immigration office.

An extension of stay for one year is done inside Thailand, and is the normal method of stay here for those that meet the requirements.  No visa run is ever needed when on these extensions.

A long stay visa (for retirement) can be issued by a Consulate that includes a pre approved first year stay with the class O-A Non Immigrant Visa.  With this you qualify for extension in your home country (medical/funds/police report etc) and on arrived are given a one year permission to stay stamp.  The older, and still used method is to obtain a 90 day stamp and extend your stay inside Thailand at immigration after funds are deposited here.  In either case after the first year all extensions must be done inside Thailand at an immigration office.

and the requisite finance in a bank in Thailand after that first year.

I did try this at the Brussels embassy 2 week ago though, but looking at my passport with a valid multiple entries non-immigrant O until 21 dec 2004 they told me to get a police report and retirement income statement translated and legalised and get the extension in Bagkok..... :o

Seems to me Mr Pong, you are doing your best to upset people on this board.

Why, in your opinion, could my multi O valid until until dec 21 2004, not be right???

Do you know more than I do? good for you.

I am not going through the trouble of posting a dig photo (I could though) of my visa issued in Brussels 22 dec 2003, Type of visa: Non-immigrant, Category O, No. of entry:Multiple, fee: 120 euro, but tell me, what's wrong with it????

No cheers here, getting upset.... :D

And please leave the ballast of quoting every post completely out, it's much of a pain to the eyes

I did try this at the Brussels embassy 2 week ago though, but looking at my passport with a valid multiple entries non-immigrant O until 21 dec 2004 they told me to get a police report and retirement income statement translated and legalised and get the extension in Bagkok..... <_<

Seems to me Mr Pong, you are doing your best to upset people on this board.

Why, in your opinion, could my multi O valid until until dec 21 2004, not be right???

Do you know more than I do? good for you.

I am not going through the trouble of posting a dig photo (I could though) of my visa issued in Brussels 22 dec 2003, Type of visa: Non-immigrant, Category O, No. of entry:Multiple, fee: 120 euro, but tell me, what's wrong with it????

No cheers here, getting upset.... :o

And please leave the ballast of quoting every post completely out, it's much of a pain to the eyes

You don't have to stay here. I misunderstood your post I thought you had just got the visa. Sorry about that.