Australian Old Age Pension Application Rejected

davidhagan

I have been working in Thailand for the last nine years, mainly as a teacher. On September 13 I turned 65 so I flew to Australia and applied for the pension. I was told that I would be informed within 2 to 3 weeks. I returned a week later to LOS. After hearing nothing in a month I rang Centrelink and was told that I should hear something in the next week. After 8 week had elapsed I rang again and was told that my application was rejected on the grounds that I was living in Thailand. I was since told that to recieve it I would need to return and stay in Australia for a period of 2 years. I could then return here. I am an Australian citizen and worked most of my life in Australia and paid taxes. I have a Thai partner and 6 year old son which I didn't mention about in my application as I didn't think it relevant in my application. Should I have mentioned this fact. I would much appreciate if anyone else has had a similar experience because it seems that I will be condemed to a 2 yr term in Australia.

I have been working in Thailand for the last nine years, mainly as a teacher. On September 13 I turned 65 so I flew to Australia and applied for the pension. I was told that I would be informed within 2 to 3 weeks. I returned a week later to LOS. After hearing nothing in a month I rang Centrelink and was told that I should hear something in the next week. After 8 week had elapsed I rang again and was told that my application was rejected on the grounds that I was living in Thailand. I was since told that to recieve it I would need to return and stay in Australia for a period of 2 years. I could then return here. I am an Australian citizen and worked most of my life in Australia and paid taxes. I have a Thai partner and 6 year old son which I didn't mention about in my application as I didn't think it relevant in my application. Should I have mentioned this fact. I would much appreciate if anyone else has had a similar experience because it seems that I will be condemed to a 2 yr term in Australia.

f yo

THis has been covered fairly thouroughly before try searching here. Answer is whichever way you go you lose. You must apply n Australia and if you leave within 2 years it stops. Only exception is if you are currently recieving a Disaability support pension.

good planning there.

Thanks for everyones comments. After posting the thread yesterday I immediatly found the thread that Xangsamhua mentioned. I have read through most of the comments and I have a much clearer picture now. I am already booked to return on 30th. I will try to have the decision reversed and prove that I am an Australian citizen on extended holidays or whatever. I will also contact the local MP to see if he can help. If I have any luck I will inform.

Thanks for everyones comments. After posting the thread yesterday I immediatly found the thread that Xangsamhua mentioned. I have read through most of the comments and I have a much clearer picture now. I am already booked to return on 30th. I will try to have the decision reversed and prove that I am an Australian citizen on extended holidays or whatever. I will also contact the local MP to see if he can help. If I have any luck I will inform.

I think it is pretty dam_n poor that as an Australian citizen who paid his taxes, you should not be able to have your pension, wherever you are. I wish you all the best.

I do however fail to see how you would think that it is not relevant to mention that you had a thai wife and child. Unless of course it was your intention to pass the belief that you were not settled in Thailand.

I think it is pretty dam_n poor that as an Australian citizen who paid his taxes, you should not be able to have your pension, wherever you are. I wish you all the best.

I do however fail to see how you would think that it is not relevant to mention that you had a thai wife and child. Unless of course it was your intention to pass the belief that you were not settled in Thailand.

best policy is honesty,you'll only be found out otherwise.

If you dont really need the pension just forget about it,if you do,then organise to take your family back with you,if its possible.A 2 year sentence in australia is not so bad,i can think of worse places.

It sounds like you are considering doing a 2 year sentence, samuibeachcomber.

For me, it will be something I'll consider on or about my 63rd birthday (should I live so long). In these difficult financial times, it becomes extremely hard to plan future financial security.

I could always put most of my assets in my wife's and son's names, divorce my wife, and return to the country of my birth.

If you dont really need the pension just forget about it,if you do,then organise to take your family back with you,if its possible.A 2 year sentence in australia is not so bad,i can think of worse places.

For me, it will be something I'll consider on or about my 63rd birthday (should I live so long). In these difficult financial times, it becomes extremely hard to plan future financial security.

I could always put most of my assets in my wife's and son's names, divorce my wife, and return to the country of my birth.

personally i can sit on the fence for a while yet,who knows maybe in the future the 2 year seasoning may not be around,but yes i guess if needs dictate i'l have to bite the bullet and do time,however it may be better to do the 2 years at 65 and not 63.cheers mate

As the current law is completely unfair why not just return at age 65 and go on the dole for 2 years! :o

personally i can sit on the fence for a while yet,who knows maybe in the future the 2 year seasoning may not be around,but yes i guess if needs dictate i'l have to bite the bullet and do time,however it may be better to do the 2 years at 65 and not 63.cheers mate

Not an expert, but a man with lopsided experience. Being married will cut your pension payments. As to 2 years back to Aus.,-must be a lot of dust... if you are an oz citizen and lived for min 25 years in Aus, you qualify for age pension irrespectively...methinks. Check out www.centrelink.gov.au go to

[email protected] and fill out nessesary forms online. It is cheaper than flying nowdays. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I am an Australian citizen now living in Australia, paid taxes for quite a few years and now of retirement age. My wife and I get zero old age pension, simply because we earn too much money from our investments.

The fact that the Australian old age pension is means-tested is a complicating factor. Having paid taxes all your life is neither here nor there, there would be lots of people getting the pension who have paid little or not tax, because they have been either unemployable, or on a disability pension, etc. But they live in Australia.

I would be reluctant to rely on an old age pension unless I could afford to return to Australia periodically, and even then I would worry that an incoming government could change the rules at any time.

I have a similar problem in NZ I have been unable to go back and claim my Superanuation as they call it because I am having hospital treatment but intend to return next year when the treatment is complete.

I qualify on all counts of the legislation which I have accessed on the internet and e-mailed them if there was any way I gould get the pention without returning and was given a reply copied and pasted from the legislation.

I was told also that as well as a NZ citizen I must be an ordinary resident (whatever that means) of the country to qualify. However on re-reading the legislation I see it says I must be a NZ citizen OR an ordinary resident not both so it seems someone is interpreting their legislation wrong.

I will return and see what they say when I apply in person.