Friends And Money

i think that people living on glass islands nearby shouldnt throw stones.

I have to assume that since you put this as an answer and quoted me, me living in samui, samui is one off the "glass islands nearby"? Wich are the other ones and what significates a "glass island"?

Curious

re your remark: "Kpg is a party island for tourists."

while this may be true, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as samui is little better.

: : In English it implies that you shouldn't be over critical of someone since you, yourself, could be open to the same sort of criticsm. The saying is usually 'people who LIVE in......'.

: PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN'T THROW STONES - "Those who are vulnerable should not attack others. The proverb has been traced back to Geoffrey Chaucer's 'Troilus and Criseyde' (1385). George Herbert wrote in 1651: 'Whose house is of glass, must not throw stones at another.' This saying is first cited in the United States in 'William & Mary College Quarterly' (1710). Twenty-six later Benjamin Franklin wrote, 'Don't throw stones at your neighbors', if your own windows are glass.' 'To live in a glass house' is used as a figure of speech referring to vulnerability." From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" (1996) by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).

Who that hath an hed of verre, Fro cast of stones war hym in the werre! (Chaucer, "Troilus & Criseyde," c1385)

Whose house is of glasse, must not throw stones at another. (G. Herbert, "Outlandish Proverbs," 1640)

Ay cousen, no body should thrown stones, whose house is made of glass. (C. Shadwell, "Sham Prince," 1720)

Thee shouldst not throw Stone, who hast a Head of Glass thyself. (J. Shebbeare, "Marriage Act," 1754)

He who lives in a glass house, says a Spanish proverb, should never begin throwing stones. (T. Paine in "Pennsylvania Packet," October 22, 1778)

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't stones. (Trollope, "Framley Parsonage," 1861)

----------

In other languages:

Quien tiene tejado de vidrio, no tire piedras al de su vecino. (Sp.)

Si tu as la tete de beurre, ne te fais pas boulanger. (Fr.)

Wer selbst in einem Glashause wohnt, darf andere nicht mit Steiner werfen. (Ger.)

Chi ha tegoli di vetro, non tiri sassi al vicino. (It.)

Quem tem telhados de vidrio, nao atira pedras aos do vizinho. (Port)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/2...ssages/855.html

So well said. Who are these Samuites who look so far down their noses at KPN? Having lived on both islands I can tell you that by and large the expats on one island sit on their <deleted> drinking beer, and er the expats on the other island sit on their <deleted> drinking beer.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, not wrong I think you were right on target with not making the LOAN(??) and the advice for to make some changes to her lifestyle. For if not goes without saying she will face the same thing in the future, no money and having to come to you or other friends for help. :o SAD

VERY limited :o

To say that the thread is limited is IMO to be short sighted.

But, but.... but he didn't say the thread is very limited.

But,but.....but he didn´t say he said the thread is very limited.

That is correct, my mistake but, but... but he did say he said the thread is limited.

That is correct, my mistake but, but... but he did say he said the thread is limited.

But,but....he said "to say the thread is limited is imo to be short sighted"

But,but....he never said anybody infact said so.

.....i think?

But,but....he said "to say the thread is limited is imo to be short sighted"

But,but....he never said anybody infact said so.

.....i think?

your right he did not say the thread was limited it was my mistake and it was my second reply to this because the first one never got posted for some unknown reason.