3-minute hiv test

samuisam

Does anyone know where I could buy the Abbot Laboratories Determine HIV 3-minute rapid test?  (even in lots of 100)

They are currently unavailable for private purchase worldwide, but I once was able to buy 100 of these from a Thai Doctor.  They are used in 50% of the worlds hospitals.  We Paid $2.75 ea. US three years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry - I missed your reply till now.  

There are a few tests out now, most are over 98% accurate.  2 or 3 are FDA approved.  

The Determine test is 97.9% accurate on HIV 1,2, and O:  (http://www.pmtctdonations.org/en/products/determine.cfm

Some of the newer ones work with saliva OR a finger prick;  when used with saliva, they are slightly less accurate.  Oraquick works with saliva or blood, but is only USFDA approved for blood.  It is 99.6% accurate for HIV 1.

According to the FDA, when used with a fingerprick - "Reactive results obtained from the study of high-risk populations, the sensitivity of the OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 Antibody Test in these studies was calculated to be 536/538 = 99.6%."

Source USFDA website:  http://216.239.41.104/search?....e=UTF-8

The oraquick site is here: http://www.abbottdiagnostics.com/systems....&path=1

Nice photos and article here:  http://www.popsci.com/popsci/medicine/arti...,473643,00.html

Where can I buy them?  The W.H.O is purchasing the Determine test for less than 25 BAHT each!!!  At this price, one would be crazy not to use them in addition to a condom.

Living in San Francisco for the last ten years I have talked to people at the SF Aids Foundation about this. The Idea is a solid one. They were on the selves for about a year then were taken off selves for two reasons.

They might be back I am not sure but this is what I found out.

1) Accuracy was in question. The product worked fine when used correctly. However because people don't like to prick them selves they wouldn't get enough blood and get a false negative.

2) It was found that when someone finds they are positive they need to talk professionals. I can't think of any worse way to find out about this sitting home alone.

good luck.

This is an interesting thread. What are we looking at here in Thailand regarding HIV risk? The international press is ambiguous regarding HIV in SE Asia these days...most of the concern has to do with sub-Saharan Africa. Presuming that one takes the necessary precautions with regard to penetrative sex is one at more risk here than anywhere else?

Regards

Tutsi - I have seen the tests results from Patpong women who come in to be tested.  In the stack of results I saw, the women were about 50% positive.  Estimates elswhere amoung sex workers ranges from 5 - 50%.

Even the manufacturers state that condoms are less than 100% effective in preventing prgnancy and HIV transmission, some estimates put them at about 86%.

Thailand is a higher risk environment, although how much higher, I cannot say.  There was a study done here that may be helpful -

http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/global/hiv/01072004.htm

Randyskf-

They were on the selves for about a year then were taken off selves for two reasons.
I was unaware that the USFDA had ever made it legal for OTC sale of these tests - do you have a link for this?  
1) Accuracy was in question. The product worked fine when used correctly. However because people don't like to prick them selves they wouldn't get enough blood and get a false negative.

Were there controlled studies done of these results?  Where could I find them?

I was unaware that it is actually possible to get a false negative from the lack of enough blood due to how the tests are designed.  If not enough blood is used there should be NO reading, or a reading on the positive line only (if the person were positive) not a false negative.  The newer tests require only the tiniest drop of blood and even work with saliva (although not as effectively).

Also, note this recent study in Africa -

Title :Evaluation of the performance of non-laboratory staff in the use of simple rapid HIV antibody assays at New Start voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) centers      

Recommendations:   Simple and rapid HIV testing algorithms performed by non-laboratory staff are recommended for VCT and MTCT programs in resource-poor settings.

Authors : Z Ziyambi1, P Osewe2, N Taruberekera3

1Ministry of Health, Harare, Zimbabwe; 2USAID, Harare, Zimbabwe; 3PSI , Harare, Zimbabwe

http://www.aids2002.com/program....902.xml

2) It was found that when someone finds they are positive they need to talk professionals. I can't think of any worse way to find out about this sitting home alone.

The US FDA believes that it is acceptable for people to receive the information that they have HIV without a doctor or counselor present, in the privacy of their home.    

The US FDA has approved a home test kit for HIV; although this require a three day wait for the lab to process, after which you call in with a unique PIN number and the tests results are given to you by an answering machine.  Privately.  WITH NO COUNSELOR PRESENT!   There is little difference between this test and the rapid test except the factor of time, which is critical if one is hoping to stop the risk of infection.

AIDS Counselors in Thailand are available here -

Wednesday Friends Club

Hotlines 02-255-7893, 02-255-7894.

E-mail:[email protected]                

They have also developed rapid tests for Hepatitus and other STD's as well.

These tests are cheaper than condoms and save lives.

They are a great way to slow the spread of HIV.

They should be used in addition to a condom, not in place of one.  

However, condoms do break, leak, and slip off;  also, they are not used 100% of the time by most people.

I don't know anything about the 3-minute hiv tests but they sound handy. However, doesn't it take 3 months for hiv to be detected? If so, the 3-minute test wouldn't give an accurate result. Anyone know? Anyway as it's already been mentioned there are plenty of other nasty stds out there, so it's better to play it safe.

Nat  :o

Good question Nat, I was also wondering the same.  Recently I asked this during my annual check up at the OPD, they had said it does take around 3 months for HIV to show inthe blood then again it may take around 6 months, in depends in different cases which I'm not sure of as well.....didn't go into details.  But maybe someone can help shed light on this too.

I hate waiting for these tests!  Even 3 minutes also seems like a lifetime to wait....imagine waiting a day for the hospital!  Nerve racking!!!

waiting for "the result" is one of the worst things in life! For some reason I always get paranoid and thing the worst (even when I have been careful). Think waiting for the results would be the longest 3 mins of my life!

Can totally relate, imagine before it was stress enough to worry if the guy liked you.  Now you have to really put a lot of thought into being careful cuz even if the guy seems like the all around nice harmless guy, you never can really know....

Just FYI there's a helpful forum at this website:

www.sexinfo101.com

imagine before it was stress enough to worry if the guy liked you.

the good old days  :o

Whatever happened to the innocent kiss chasing? Now who knows what you'd get!

Seriously though, it can be quite scary esp since someone may have an std and not even know cause they don't have any obvious symptoms. However, what do you do (or say) when you start fooling around with someone and notice that it's not quite kosher down stairs?

lol.. where are you buying your rubbers from? A second hand shop?
Here is a report from the US National Institute of Health (NIH) which states condom effectiveness to be in the 86-98% range.  And far less when human error is taken into account.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/dmid/stds/condomreport.pdf

Recently I asked this during my annual check up at the OPD, they had said it does take around 3 months for HIV to show inthe blood then again it may take around 6 months

This is from the New York State Dept of Health -

"3. What is the best time for the first HIV test after a possible exposure to HIV?

Most people infected with HIV  will develop enough antibodies to be detected by our current  HIV antibody tests four weeks after the exposure.

4. How long after a possible exposure to HIV does the person have to wait to be tested to be sure he/she is not infected?

It is possible that someone who tests negative four weeks after an exposure may be infected  but his/her body has not had sufficient time to develop antibodies. Therefore, to rule out HIV infection, it is important to re-test  three months after the exposure. It is extremely rare for  an HIV-infected individual to not develop antibodies by three months. An individual who tests negative three months after  an exposure does not require further testing... ."

http://www.hivguidelines.org/public_....ate.htm

Anyway as it's already been mentioned there are plenty of other nasty stds out there, so it's better to play it safe.

Yes, these tests should be used in addition to, not in place of, condoms.  But, as some of them are now being manufactured for 25 BAHT each, why not.

Personally, I have had condoms break, and I was very relieved to have these tests in my house.

If everybody tested often, it would help to reduce the number of infections.

After a quick look at the replies and links, am I right in feeling I am still unable to order any of these HIV tests for private use/testing (private purchase over the Internet, delivered to home address)??

If I can, please tell me the site address?

Thanks

After a quick look at the replies and links, am I right in feeling I am still unable to order any of these HIV tests for private use/testing (private purchase over the Internet, delivered to home address)??

If I can, please tell me the site address?

That's what I'm trying to find out.  I was aquiring the Determine tests a few years ago through a friend of mine who was a Thai MD, but have since lost contact.  They were $275 for 100, new in sealed bag from the Abbot Labs distributor.

Also here is a UN site which gives some HIV rates  -

Prevalence rate of HIV infection in pregnant women 1.37 %

Prevalence rate of HIV in conscripts 0.5 %

Rate of HIV infection in children aged less than 2 years 9.0 %

Rate of HIV infection in adolescents 11.7 % of total cases

http://www.unescap.org/pop/database/thaila...ailandfacts.htm

Folks,

If you are really very worried, then I suggest total abstinence from sex except masturbation. This way, you can avoid sexually-transmitted HIV (and other STD ). I know that it sounds really draconian but unfortunately, that's the way it is. If you don't want to do this, then at least take a sort of 'calculated risk' (avoiding sex without a condom, avoiding sex with prostitutes, avoiding riskier stuff like anal sex, etc.).

Regards,

Jem

I suggest total abstinence from sex except masturbation.

well at least it'll be done right  :o  just a bit lonely  :D

Seriously, like shopgurl am curious? How (and when) do you bring up the std topic with someone you've just started seeing?

• 2 weeks later...