Mobile Phone In Thailand

Tonycheston

Hi

Not sure which forum this belongs to, however, here goes.

I bought an iPhone in Thailand. The salesperson "unblocked" it and gave me a sim card for 121. Really I don't use my phone very often but I have it so that others get in touch with me. At first I had 100 THB and only used about 40THB before the date was to expire so I restocked 50THB, that only made my card valuable for a further 3 days. I never made any calls in that time so now the money is lost and the sim? will expire very soon, meaning I will have no number (I think)

Can anyone explain how the sim thing works and maybe give me a better solution?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Tony

while AIS is the better service which allow you to call from the Hill and mountian and area out of reaches out ofbangkok

if you staying in TOWN area .

i suggest DTAC -

i had never had a problem about expiry top up with DTac ,

and so far i travel alot in thailand . and had no problem with Dtac

also not sure of the top day day is still on for dtac i think you can top up 30 days with 2 baht ,

-

good lucky .

My mother still on AIS and is more or less taken hostage by the expiry days .

she refuse to chnage cos she worry her friends can't contact her and hardly use the phone .

and so far she top up fundof about 400 - 300 had been expiry a few time already .

DTac is my choice

Hi

I bought an iPhone in Thailand. The salesperson "unblocked" it and gave me a sim card for 121. Really I don't use my phone very often but I have it so that others get in touch with me. At first I had 100 THB and only used about 40THB before the date was to expire so I restocked 50THB, that only made my card valuable for a further 3 days. I never made any calls in that time so now the money is lost and the sim? will expire very soon, meaning I will have no number (I think)

Tony

Hi Tony,

There are quite a few methods in your case I would do as I have done get a DTAC sim card which will mean a new number but once you are on DTAC go to one of their outlets and ask to be put on the SIMPLE option. This means ALL calls are at a rate of 2 baht per minute 24 hours a day. The good thing about this promotion is that whenever you top it up no mater the amount it gives 1 year expirey date from that date. I prefer this as I usually make calls that are about 1 or 2 minutes other options are 5 baht for the 1st minute and 25 satang after that. I hope this will help.

Kevin.

Yes, the consenus here is to go with DTAC, i have had the best luck with them.

The cheapest option, if you don't use much is sim from True Move. However, I heard that coverage in remote areas is not as good, but I never have any problem before. You can buy a new sim for 49 Bahts (come with 5 baht credit). Minimum top up is only 10 Baht, and it last for 1 year. Yes 1 year. Eg if you top up 10 baht on 1-Dec-2008, your number will stay active until 1-Dec-2009. You can also request for international roaming for free (to certain countries, but to have to pay the call/receive charge).

Go google TRUE MOVE and look for SIM INTER promotion. Web is in English.

Edited by CuttySark

i would not suggest True move , if you are travelling .

Dtac would be the best got major town .

unless you stay in the mountian . or some hill top . wich AIS would be better .

i had no problem with DTAC from mae sai , to Malaysia border.

Hi

Tony

Hi Tony,

There are quite a few methods in your case I would do as I have done get a DTAC sim card which will mean a new number but once you are on DTAC go to one of their outlets and ask to be put on the SIMPLE option. This means ALL calls are at a rate of 2 baht per minute 24 hours a day. The good thing about this promotion is that whenever you top it up no mater the amount it gives 1 year expirey date from that date. I prefer this as I usually make calls that are about 1 or 2 minutes other options are 5 baht for the 1st minute and 25 satang after that. I hope this will help.

Kevin.

Concur, been with DTAC for the past four years never a problem(Post Paid) is away to go if you live in country and don't make many calls, sure save the hassle of run to buy a darn old call card at 7/11 in the middle of the night. :o:D

Hi

Tony

If you have AIS and know somebody that also has AIS and they are a big user and has some extra validity you could get some more time by them dialing *140 and transferring another month or so to your phone.

Did that from the wifes to mine. Can also move funds using same number.

Both, DTac and TrueMove offers Sim Cards which can be top-up for 50+ Baht and then will be valid for 1 year.

Check their websites or check with a Dtac or TrueMove shop.

Also DTac and TrueMove offer the possibility to obtain a new card with the same number as your old or void card. This can be done at the shops in a few minutes with their computers.

Hi

Tony

If you have AIS and know somebody that also has AIS and they are a big user and has some extra validity you could get some more time by them dialing *140 and transferring another month or so to your phone.

Did that from the wifes to mine. Can also move funds using same number.

Yes...my wife and I do this all the time, with both AIS and True Move. AIS can transfer validity and/or minutes...True Move can transfer minutes only.

I have the max (1 year) on my AIS SIM...so when I need minutes, I will have the wife put the voucher onto her AIS number, then transfer some of the minutes to my AIS number.

On the other hand, she has validity maxed on her True Move SIM, so when she needs True Move minutes I put the voucher onto my True Move number (which I use infrequently), then transfer most of the minutes to her True Move number.

Why do we have SIMs with two different carriers? For her, it is show...makes her feel important I guess, having two numbers.

For me, having worked in the cellular industry for many years, for a company who sells high-availability hardware and software, it is about fault tolerance. Whenever I am working in a country, I buy a SIM on my customer's service (that is the one I want the customer to see me using), but I also buy a SIM from one of their competitors. This facilitates more thorough call-testing as well.

I have heard that "DTAC is best"...inside BKK anyway. I have no experience with that one.

Overall, I would have to give AIS/1-2-Call the nod. Best voice coverage, best data coverage, best international roaming (if that is important to you).

AIS goes out for 2 years, DTAC for 1 year. With DTAC you can go online and extend validity for any period up to 1 year for a very nominal sum via their ENGLISH website ! You can retrieve the last 2 months call and SMS details, send SMS for free, change promotions etc. You do not have to go to the DTAC Simple SIM to get 1 year validity.

http://www.happy.co.th/en/index2.php

And the web log in http://eservice.dtac.co.th/bp3/bin/DpromptIndex?lang=E

Nothing could be more simple.

AIS goes out for 2 years, DTAC for 1 year. With DTAC you can go online and extend validity for any period up to 1 year for a very nominal sum via their ENGLISH website ! You can retrieve the last 2 months call and SMS details, send SMS for free, change promotions etc. You do not have to go to the DTAC Simple SIM to get 1 year validity.

http://www.happy.co.th/en/index2.php

And the web log in http://eservice.dtac.co.th/bp3/bin/DpromptIndex?lang=E

Nothing could be more simple.

A warning about using DTac:

DTac allows their subscribers to make calls and send SMS if their balance is 0 (zero) baht.

This means that you can go to -50 Baht before they close your ability to make any more calls.

But on the next top-up, the balance in red is deducted from your top-up.

My wife bought a SIS from Dtac with 50 Baht in phone calls.

She continued to call until she could not call anymore.

When she tried to top-up with 50 Baht, the balance was ZERO Baht.

The DTac center were she was topping up her phone switched off the possibility to make calls when the remaining value is zero Baht on my demand.