Do You And Your Wife Wai Eachother?

dave9988

i think the above is changing with younger generation thais

Not that much with the younger generation in my family. They are rather traditional, Its only seems to be appropriate if its dun by grandmothers who hug their grandchildren even when they are in their twenty's. But I never saw it between different sexes.

i was in the airport the other day and I saw a farang meeting his wife and they both greeted each other with a wai. then it made me think to myself "hmm I dont recall us having ever waied each other".

im just curious about others

I insist my wife Wais me every day, and she also must prostrate herself at my feet before bed (in the great Thai tradition) and then lovingly clean my filthy feet! I try to get her to slither across the floor in the manner Thais do when confronted by exceptional wealth/power...like flipper the dolphin out of water, but I think she needs a few more beatings to comply!

When in Rome! and always uphold traditions.

Edited by Underdog

We hardly talk let alone wai.

Anyway farangs look silly when they wai. Dont you feel so?

Of course my kids will wai to me once they get old enough to understand it. its teaching them manners.

Exactly, we don't understand the nuances of being subserviant feudal serfs, best not to get caught up in it...shake hands, nod or whatever, the Wai is a class thing.

i was in the airport the other day and I saw a farang meeting his wife and they both greeted each other with a wai. then it made me think to myself "hmm I dont recall us having ever waied each other".

im just curious about others

I insist my wife Wais me every day, and she also must prostrate herself at my feet before bed (in the great Thai tradition) and then lovingly clean my filthy feet! I try to get her to slither across the floor in the manner Thais do when confronted by exceptional wealth/power...like flipper the dolphin out of water, but I think she needs a few more beatings to comply!

When in Rome! and always uphold traditions.

Well it is good to know my wife is not the only one out there. For a moment there, I thought there was something clinically wrong with her. I have yet to have to publically beat her....

Always. And always three times. Her name is Delilah...

Regards,

Tom J.

My Thai Wife of 20 years plus always does after I have given her some money. It really pisses off the Femo Natzi's here in Australia. She says darling "You got money a little bit please" and I get a Wai. Sometimes it's a little embarisinging.

We hardly talk let alone wai.

Anyway farangs look silly when they wai. Dont you feel so?

Of course my kids will wai to me once they get old enough to understand it. its teaching them manners.

Exactly, we don't understand the nuances of being subserviant feudal serfs, best not to get caught up in it...shake hands, nod or whatever, the Wai is a class thing.

wife and I are from NZL...we perform a traditional "hongi" :o

After being here for 3 years I am just getting into the habit of using wai. Not that I dont want to use it but it has always been more natural for me to offer a handshake. Now if someone offers a wai to me I return the gesture but often forget when or if I should initiate it.

Previous to marriage my wife would wai whenever I gave her a gift or paid for her meal but not any longer. Now she says thank you and gives me a hug and kiss.

My bet is he's a tourist and his "wife" is playing it up for his sake. Did they get a tuk-tuk home?

If a westerner knows how to wai and does so mindfully I believe that it is a nice gesture. If he/she just offers a wai without much though then it can look a bit foolish. A Thai person offering a wai can do so without much thought because they are doing this all of their lives; a lot more effort is needed from a westerner or it just seems silly.

If you do wai with your wife , in strict THai tradition she should initiate it , as she is lower in "rank" than you.

Not that I agree with this ranking system ,

Also it would be disappointing for her if she waied you and you didnt wai back.

Sometimes I play along with this silly waiing thing they have.

Thanks mc2 this is fantastic. I told my tgf she is lower in rank than me and asked her why she didn't wai me... She said: "You not Thai" so I dug deeper of course and apparently "now the world change, not same"...

However I do like your explanation better.

• 2 months later...
This is like giving your mother your business card

You don't??? I thought it was normal :o

I never wai the Missus nor her me.

Her Mum is different, she's the only family member who gets treated to a wai unless they initiate.