Do You And Your Wife Wai Eachother?

dave9988

i was in the airport the other day and I saw a farang meeting his wife and they both greeted each other with a wai. then it made me think to myself "hmm I dont recall us having ever waied each other".

im just curious about others

how do you know it was his wife ?

i have given a wai to a female at my office who is the highest ranking thai in the office and have been at the airport with her several times before :o

Its depend, when I say goodbye to may wife in my home country we hug and give a kiss. But when say goodbye or hello in Suva, no way, no kiss, no shake hands. Only look in each other eyes. In Thailand its not dun to hold each other and give a hug in public, because its seems as a lac of respect, and most certainly not when family members are present.

Its depend, when I say goodbye to may wife in my home country we hug and give a kiss. But when say goodbye or hello in Suva, no way, no kiss, no shake hands. Only look in each other eyes. In Thailand its not dun to hold each other and give a hug in public, because its seems as a lac of respect, and most certainly not when family members are present.

When the guy is 20-30 years the woman's senior.... the cultural norms still stand.

If you do wai with your wife , in strict THai tradition she should initiate it , as she is lower in "rank" than you.

Not that I agree with this ranking system ,

Also it would be disappointing for her if she waied you and you didnt wai back.

Sometimes I play along with this silly waiing thing they have.

Edited by mc2

mine did once after a particularly long and fulfilling session (I was younger then) :o

Mine used to when she was younger. I told her to stop it after a while. All Thai woman with a good upbringing will wai their husbands. If yours has never done it, you should ask yourself why.

Edited by Neeranam

We don't wai each other, but in a situation where I would give her a big present (more than just some chocolate or so), she wais me to thank me. I like that, makes me want to give her more presents. (Oops, a thought just crossed my mind: Could that also be the reason why she wais?)

my wife , do practice it ,

usually before she leave for work in the moring . she would wai me and her mom ,

but usually we hug and kiss and say bye bye .

i think wai is a good example for the kids . since is a form of showing respect .

,thai wai out of respect and love for the person you wai to .

I don't have a wife, but I have waied the dog and she is kind enough to give me a one pawed wai back. I certainly do agree as to its suitability over a kiss/lick as my friend sometimes has really bad breath.

That's also a good thing because you never know what it was she last licked...... :o

mine did once after a particularly long and fulfilling session (I was younger then) :o

Mine used to when she was younger. I told her to stop it after a while. All Thai woman with a good upbringing will wai their husbands. If yours has never done it, you should ask yourself why.

Why should I ask myself why? You have already made the insinuation so was that a rhetorical question?