Best Hotel In Nong Khai

charles

My Thai wife and I have been on Koh Samui since 1999 but have decided to disinvest (properties, businesses) and leave ASAP. Looking for a place with a smaller community/town so my wife and family can have a better qulaity of life and maybe a shop or something. But we're also looking for a largish piece of land for a survival-type situation. I asked a friend: where would you go if there was no gasoline, no food, no electricity, no money? Without a moment's hestitation he said; Nong Khai or within 45 mins of Nong Khai.

So we're going up there to scout around for a few weeks. Is it worth while to go looking a little more West: Tha Bo, Sang Khom, Pak Chom, maybe up to Chiang Khan? Eastwards looks like up to Wat Khaek is about as far as I want to go.

Both of us are so excited about this move! I hope to bump into some of you while we're there. Cheers for now.

• 3 years later...

Hubby and I went to Nong Khai last week and were fortunate to get in at the Mut Mee without a reservation. They say that this time of year they often are booked by noon, but we arrived rather early in the day. The Mut Mee lives up to its reputation and has only gotten better since this thread was started years ago. Julian and his family are still very much involved. They just opened a new building with rooms that are more up-scale, really more resort than guesthouse. They are large rooms with balconies overlooking the river, airconditioning and great character.

The first evening we took the boat cruise, operated from a restaurant near the Mut Mee. It gave us a good overview of the area, so the next day we set out to explore. The Mut Mee rental bikes are good and the countryside flat. We saw all the sights of Nong Khai -- sculpture park a few kilometers out of town, the Tesco Lotus mall (it's a real mall, suprisingly nice for a town this size) and ended the day at the beach, sitting under the shade awnings with the locals, drinking beer, eating Mekong River fish and watching the kids splash around in the river. The traffic was light and many locals ride bicycles, so we didn't feel like we were risking our lives like we would in other Thai towns. The third day I walked the large market near the river, exploring all the shops. It has the feel of the shops on the Thai side in Mae Sai or Warorot in Chiang Mai, but the market is well-designed, with wide walkways and neat, organized shops. I also went to their Thai food market on the west side of town and marveled over the quality and selection of fresh ingredients and prepared meals. We ate several times at the restaurants on the river walk, having the best som tam I've ever had in one. There is a small strip of bars, playing retro western music with cute bar girls. Hubby enjoyed hanging out in these places, even though the girls didn't flock to him and call him a handsome man like they do in Nana Plaza.

Speaking of bar girls, the Mut Mee has a "family" atmosphere and a sign posted about guests not being allowed to bring additional "guests" from town to their rooms. They had some toys for kids, but the kid vibe wasn't overpowering. Many people happily spent hours reading and using the wifi in their garden. The weather was cooler than in our home city of Chiang Mai. It is a good place to chill out. We plan to return during Chiang Mai's "burning season".

• 2 months later...

Nong Khai is a very nice place. On the railwaystation it is a very good Hotell from 600B and up to 1200B have very nice swimmingpool. Rest of the Hotels in Nong Khai are in very bad shape and over priced.

The western food in Nong Khai is cheep but not very good, its depends on who is cooking that day, sometimes you cant eat it and another they its ok, stick to Thai food and stay away from the western bars, only drunken expats there and rip of girls(not all). The Taj sadet market is very nice and whort visiting.

Nong Khai is a very nice place. On the railwaystation it is a very good Hotell from 600B and up to 1200B have very nice swimmingpool. Rest of the Hotels in Nong Khai are in very bad shape and over priced.

The western food in Nong Khai is cheep but not very good, its depends on who is cooking that day, sometimes you cant eat it and another they its ok, stick to Thai food and stay away from the western bars, only drunken expats there and rip of girls(not all). The Taj sadet market is very nice and whort visiting.

What's the name of the hotel near the railway station? Thanks.

What's the name of the hotel near the railway station? Thanks.

I dont remember the name, but its behinde the parkinglot in front of the station. When you stand in front of the station its 200 meters in front of you. Walk over the parking lot to the small restaurant and walk in to the small street there, its on the left side, you wil se the sign.

NK has several new hotels, I wrote about them a few months ago in this forum. They are brandnew and have fair prices starting at 500/600 baht. It is absolutely not true that they are overpriced and not well maintained. You can have a good hotel in heart of town, for instance at the road that starts at the Tha Sadeth Market where Carsten's place is.

The farang food in NK is OK at some places, terrible at other places, it indeed depends on the cook but there are a few, not more than a few, farang restaurants with a good farang cook like for instance Milford's place New York Bistro.

There is no reason to be gloomy about the hotelbusiness in NK; I know this place for 20 years now and live here 9 years so I know the ins and outs. Welcome !

NK has several new hotels, I wrote about them a few months ago in this forum. They are brandnew and have fair prices starting at 500/600 baht. It is absolutely not true that they are overpriced and not well maintained. You can have a good hotel in heart of town, for instance at the road that starts at the Tha Sadeth Market where Carsten's place is.

The farang food in NK is OK at some places, terrible at other places, it indeed depends on the cook but there are a few, not more than a few, farang restaurants with a good farang cook like for instance Milford's place New York Bistro.

There is no reason to be gloomy about the hotelbusiness in NK; I know this place for 20 years now and live here 9 years so I know the ins and outs. Welcome !

:thumbsup:

I like Nong Khai, if lucky visits a couple of times a year, and like to try "new" places! :D

Yes its some good Guesthouse and room for rent, but that in my opinon is not "Hotel as Grand and Riverside" And yes Milford has very good food, but small menu and no steak, the food is like snack.. And Beer Billy`s 200 meters from Milford has good food.

I hope someone soon open a Pizza Restaurant in NK I miss that and a real steak house whit baked poteto.

Soon its a new Hotel opening in NK it will be interesting to see if it will be good.

:thumbsup:

I like Nong Khai, if lucky visits a couple of times a year, and like to try "new" places! :D

Yes Nong Khai its a Beautifully and peacfully city. I lived 22 year around in Thailand and NK its the best place so far. Its seems like thing are more easy here, never any of this small enoying problem I had elsewhere, like price barging and racist government.I find everthing I need here. The expats that lives here are also very nice, most of them are very helpfully and polite :jap:

If you visit NK you should go to the end of Rimkhong where you have Beer Billys, jungelbar, Manchesterbar, milfords and som other bars and eatingplaces, thats the best part of Nong Khai for me. Its a lot of guesthouse there as well, whit up and down standars :D

A few months ago I wrote about several new hotels in NK. There are at least two items here with questions about NK hotels and guesthouses. Several new ones like White Inn. A brand new one next to the Shell at Prajak Road. A few brand new in the same street as Carstens Place but than close to the ringroad.

Western food is a problem in NK cause places are usually crowded with drunks and there you don't WANT to eat. Milford is a good alternative. I sometimes eat Thai food at Di Di Phochana. And my wife is an excellent cook......

Thanks for your help Prajak and EirikJohannsen. I intend to visit Nong Khai for a few days with family in July. Not bothered about farang food/restaurants so that's not an issue for me. I found the other topics you mentioned, Prajak, and have found some other good info elsewhere. Thanks for your help again.