Farangs In Red And Yellow Shirts

Jingthing

A good portion of my shirts just happen to be red or yellow. I don't wish to make a political stand here in Thailand. Does seeing a farang wearing red or yellow shirt mean anything to Somchai the taxi driver and Pim the civil servant, on the street?

Especially now that things have hotted up, should farangs avoid wearing these colors?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found the wearing of the yellow T-shirts by none Thais a bit cheesy to be honest. I see it as trying a little too hard to be Thai. I know it is an issue of respect and everything but thats just how I feel. Plenty of ferang wear them though so thats got to say something.

I've always found the wearing of the yellow T-shirts by none Thais a bit cheesy to be honest. I see it as trying a little too hard to be Thai. I know it is an issue of respect and everything but thats just how I feel. Plenty of ferang wear them though so thats got to say something.

Yes, that is a separate issue. I am just talking about yellow shirts without Royalist/Thai markings. I just mean any shirt that is solid yellow or solid red. I realize in normal times this would be a silly question and maybe it still is, but given the very tense state of the country, just wondering what people think. Also consider some Thais on both sides like to blame foreigners for everything ...

Edited by Jingthing

A good portion of my shirts just happen to be red or yellow. I don't wish to make a political stand here in Thailand. Does seeing a farang wearing red or yellow shirt mean anything to Somchai the taxi driver and Pim the civil servant, on the street?

Especially now that things have hotted up, should farangs avoid wearing these colors?

There's a certain irony that you would deride your home country as being a "police state", retire to a country where the grass is greener, and then wind up living in fear over what colour of clothes you wear.

Edited by OriginalPoster

No.

Unless it's a Manchester United t-shirt, in which case you deserve a slap.

:o

No, i would not worry about wearing those colors, if anyone says something to you, karate chop them. I agree though on Farangs wearing the Royal Thai emblem shirts, just seem to be trying a touch to hard to fit in, its ok to try to pay respect,<snip>

Edited by soundman
No Royal reference please.

I agree though on Farangs wearing the Royal Thai emblem shirts, just seem to be trying a touch to hard to fit in, its ok to try to pay respect,<snip>

Out of deference to you, I'll make it a point to tell my Thai friends to not give me any more such shirts.

Yes, that is a separate issue. I am just talking about yellow shirts without Royalist/Thai markings. I just mean any shirt that is solid yellow or solid red. I realize in normal times this would be a silly question and maybe it still is, but given the very tense state of the country, just wondering what people think. Also consider some Thais on both sides like to blame foreigners for everything ...

Ok. I see. In that case, no I wouldn't think it's such a good idea right now. You never know what might happen, although chances are nothing. Best be safe though.

There's a certain irony that you would deride your home country as being a "police state", retire to a country where the grass is greener, and then wind up living in fear over what colour of clothes you wear.

Indeed, if that was the reason I moved here ...

I am not in fear, I just wondered if Thais would generally think anything of it.

interesting info, mmhh .... never heard of westerners absconding to Thailand because of his country of origin exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population. Not to the extreme of people running away in fear. Certainly you get of all sorts over here, but that's a first. I seldom wear solid coloured shirts but this time I'll make a point to wear a red one in BKK :o

interesting info, mmhh .... never heard of westerners absconding to Thailand because of his country of origin exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population. Not to the extreme of people running away in fear. Certainly you get of all sorts over here, but that's a first. I seldom wear solid coloured shirts but this time I'll make a point to wear a red one in BKK :o

I was neutral before. YELLOW it is!

Edited by Jingthing

I have never worn a yellow shirt here, and would never. I think that the Thai king is a very nice and good man, but I don't love him, and as that is what the shirt symbolizes it'd be a lie, which I don't wish to do. Respect; yes, love; no.

Since the PAD took up yellow as a not so clever political move, I'd doubly not wear that colour. To pretend that it's just a yellow shirt here, with no meaning is ridiculous.

Since the PAD opposition started to wear red as a political point, I wouldn't wear that either, cause I don't support the PPP either. As I walk around Sanam Luang, my primary place of work (no I don't hawk hats and postcards!), it'd be naive to suggest that red and yellow shirts have no meaning - I'd actually worry about getting caught up in vilence too.

As for the comment on wearing the 'correct colour' according to the day, oh dear, that is very sad indeed - lost the plot that chap.

So, Jingthing, it's gotta be the prudent option to be careful, and so many other colours to choose from.

I was neutral before. YELLOW it is!

yeah, and don't forget to wear matching YELLOW trousers, socks, shoes, straw hat and walking stick when strolling along beach road for maximum effect :D

I have never worn a yellow shirt here, and would never. I think that the Thai king is a very nice and good man, but I don't love him, and as that is what the shirt symbolizes it'd be a lie, which I don't wish to do. Respect; yes, love; no.

I agree that HM King is a fine Buddhist man in many ways. But the culture of wearing colours for specific days has its origins long before showing respect/love for him, and certainly before the semi-terroristic mob hijacked it for their political ends. I was also born on a Monday so I look forward to the day when the colour yellow can again symbolise something more traditional and essentially benign.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the day/colour for the heir to the throne?

I'm a Thursday (orange) person - don't have a single stitch of orange clothing.

Correction - one pair of boxers... :o

Edited by phaethon

post-71198-1227721147_thumb.jpg

How dumb am I.. I like Bush and Thaksin.

Who remembers/understands the joke about driving a pregnant prostitute driving and Edsel with a Nixon sticker... If you don't know sorry, I'll only say the Edsel was the name of Henry Fords son!

Stay out of the whole mess. If you are Farang wear white just like flying a white flag, it ain't our fight,

&lt;deleted&gt;, I admit that I'm only there for the Beer and Boom!

A Thai GF bought me a yellow shirt and told me to always wear it on Mondays to honour the King.

Other days I wear the Red of Wales.

Get out more ! AND change your wardrobe. That is almost as bad as the 40+ year old I saw wearing a full Tottenham football kit in Pattaya !

Since the PAD took up yellow as a not so clever political move, I'd doubly not wear that colour. To pretend that it's just a yellow shirt here, with no meaning is ridiculous.

Since the PAD opposition started to wear red as a political point, I wouldn't wear that either, cause I don't support the PPP either. As I walk around Sanam Luang, my primary place of work (no I don't hawk hats and postcards!), it'd be naive to suggest that red and yellow shirts have no meaning - I'd actually worry about getting caught up in vilence too.

As for the comment on wearing the 'correct colour' according to the day, oh dear, that is very sad indeed - lost the plot that chap.

So, Jingthing, it's gotta be the prudent option to be careful, and so many other colours to choose from.

Sorry but you are incorrect again on several points ...

Wearing Yellow on Mondays has been around since the Ayutthya era

YOUR THAI BIRTHDAY COLORS AND BUDDHA IMAGE

An innovation of the Ayutthaya period was the wearing of particular colors on different days of the week; Red for Sunday, Yellow for Monday, Pink for Tuesday, Green for Wednesday, Orange for Thursday, Blue for Friday, and Purple for Saturday.

http://www.usmta.com/Thai-Birthday.htm

The days are also each assigned a different color and many Thai people pay special attention to this. The most visible example is the wearing of yellow shirts on Mondays to honor HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Likewise, you will see many blue shirts each Friday as that was the day of the week that HM Queen Sirikit was born. Even the different royal flags are colored to reflect individual birthdays of the royal family.

Monday is called the Day of Making Peace. The day’s color is cream or yellow.

This image represents the Buddha standing with his right arm raised in a pacifying gesture. The Buddha stops the relatives from fighting or pacifying his relatives. When the Buddha came back from Heaven, he found that his relatives were quarreling about the right to use water from a river for their rice fields. The Buddha encouraged them to compromise and said that human life is much more valuable than water and it was not worth killing men for water. Then, his relatives stopped fighting.

A person born on a Monday is serious with a good memory and a love of travel. This person is likely to be in a skilled occupation whose lucky day is Saturday and lucky color is black. His unlucky day is Sunday and unlucky color is orange.

http://www.fivethousandyears.org/mos/index...0&Itemid=63

I know you like to take a dig at me whenever you can but really ....