Is The End Game Fast Approaching?

ThaiPauly

Well....things are not looking as rosy through the glasses we were wearing when we first moved to CM. :o

Weather we like it or not we are trapped in a UDD stronghold...death on the streets...and things can only get worse ...no sign of things improving.

So what will you guys do if it all goes tits up here and we find ourselves in the middle of a civil war?

Do you have an exit stratagy?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....things are not looking as rosy through the glasses we were wearing when we first moved to CM. :o

Weather we like it or not we are trapped in a UDD stronghold...death on the streets...and things can only get worse ...no sign of things improving.

So what will you guys do if it all goes tits up here and we find ourselves in the middle of a civil war?

YES ... i sorted this one months ago

ive had nearly a million baht in the TMB Bank for over 3 months to get a new one year visa last week .

visa done ok but i thought what if thailand goes ti-- s up months ago

so i opend an account with krung thai bank in thapae road as they have a branch in Phnom pen cambodia which is where i would go without a thought .

go to tmb.. Withdraw nearly a million baht ...... go half a mile down the road .... deposit in Krung thai bank ..... and bye bye thailand ...... hello cambodia : ) .... simple ...... problem solved ... thailand loses ... cambodia gains a resident

dave2

My friend, you are watching too much television! I am not a "Hollygolightly," but, hey, anyone got a 105mm howitzer direct firing down your lane?!

I've seen the country go through worse over the last 31 years, and if you look further back in modern history, worse still. It's hardly the end. Be glad you weren't here in the 70s or the 40s. These events come in cycles in Thailand, and if you're not prepared to weather them, then you were probably not cut out for longterm residence here.

Avoid crowds at night for the time being.

Bloody hel_l TP, I didn't have you down as a sensationalist.

A bit of common sense goes a long way, avoid crowds and crowded places, avoid government buildings and don't wear red or yellow shirts.

Keep your head down and calm down.

JxP

Or is it really that bad? I confess I'm commenting from afar and from experience but not from first hand knowledge of the current situation.

Reading other posts and threads I am now getting quite concerned as I am on a rare trip to the UK at the moment and my wife and children are in Chiang Mai.

I hope my last post proves to be in the correct ballpark but all the same I will be keeping a close eye on the news.

Keep your heads down over there.

JxP

Bloody hel_l TP, I didn't have you down as a sensationalist.

JxP

I am not a sensasionalist at all.

All I was asking was if anybody had made contigency plans "In Case" things worsen.

Anybody that knows me knows that am not the sort of person who would just cut and run.

But most of us have loved ones that we care for that we would not want to see harmed or get caught up in violence.

Yes, its unlikely to get to the civil war stage, but can anyone say with absolute certainty that it won't? :D

Whats wrong with having a "Plan B" ?

It seems that quite a few posters have one

To Mapguy...I have been watching as much television as anybody else who is interested in self preservation, your comments are not warranted. Of course I don't have a big gun aiming in my direction right now, but I am sure you are familiar with the term

"wrong place, wrong time"

What am doing? Making myself a better person and I have a long way to go. Yes, it might sound cheesy but it it true. Otherwise we take to much of the world on our shoulders.

It sounds easy and may even sould like a cop out but it works for me.

C'mon ThaiPoorly, I don't think know you're not one, but in my opinion there are too many softcock new-era low budget retirees/expats in Thailand these days ready to run at the slightest sign of civil disturbance.

As Sabaijai said..........

I've seen the country go through worse over the last 31 years, and if you look further back in modern history, worse still. It's hardly the end. Be glad you weren't here in the 70s or the 40s. These events come in cycles in Thailand, and if you're not prepared to weather them, then you were probably not cut out for longterm residence here.

Hang about and watch the fireworks (from a distance), it could be fun.

I feel a little bit sorry for those timid retirees who can only afford to live a reasonably comfortable life in cheaper Asian or 3rd World countries.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Nothing to worry about, I would far rather be here than in BKK. All will be fine as long as you don't do something stupid such as supporting the yellow shirts.

In fact as a long term Chiang Mai resident it is quite amusing to see the Chiang Mai people have the opportunity to stick the finger up at BKK.

Edited by cmsally

C'mon ThaiPoorly, I don't think know you're not one, but in my opinion there are too many softcock new-era low budget retirees/expats in Thailand these days ready to run at the slightest sign of civil disturbance.

As Sabaijai said..........

Hang about and watch the fireworks (from a distance), it could be fun.

I feel a little bit sorry for those timid retirees who can only afford to live a reasonably comfortable life in cheaper Asian or 3rd World countries.

I did not know you were a timid retiree. I thought you were loud mouthed

Should there be an exodus of terrified farangs from Chiang Mai I can offer small rooms in a very quiet and isolated village a safe 180kms from the city.

Rates will be directly proportional to the amount of terror exhibited by the refugees and families will have to share.

My plan ‘B’ was to move to India (Mumbai) but I think I better start working on plan ‘C’ :D

Better get a Plan C together! :o

Gunmen kill at least 82 in rampage across Mumbai

Gunmen kill scores in India, hostages in hotels AP AP – Smoke emerges from behind a dome on the Taj Hotel in Mumbai, India, Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2008. Teams of … MUMBAI, India – Teams of gunmen stormed luxury hotels, a popular restaurant, hospitals and a crowded train station in coordinated attacks across India's financial capital Wednesday night, killing at least 82 people and taking Westerners hostage, police said. A group of suspected Muslim militants claimed responsibility.

Parts of the city remained under siege as dawn approached Thursday, with police and gunmen exchanging occasional gunfire at two hotels and an unknown number of people still held hostage, said A.N. Roy, a top police official. Soldiers also took up positions across the city.

PAD member's father killed in Chiang Mai clash CHIANG MAI, Nov 26 (TNA) - A group of government supporters attacked and killed the father of a member of the anti government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in the northern province of Chiang Mai late Wednesday.

PAD members in a pick-up truck were trying to drive through a line of government supporters calling themselves “We Love Chiang Mai 51”, who had blocked the road at the entrance to the house of Terdsak Jiamkitwattana, a leading member of the PAD.

Terdsak’s 60-year-old father Settha was attacked and killed, while two other people were also injured in the incident.

The police were unable to intervene in the clash between the two rival groups, which involved the firing of slingshots, guns and powerful fire crackers.

Later, soldiers rushed to the scene and helped take the injured to hospital before the group of government supporters fled the scene.(TNA)

. . . . . The police were unable to intervene in the clash between the two rival groups, which involved the firing of slingshots, guns and powerful fire crackers. . . . .

Yes, indeed, that sounds scary enough to prevent the police from intervening.

If you ARE a retired expat living on (modest) foreign funds, then if anything this is a good thing. Throws Thailand back years, prolonging 'cheap third world banana' status.

(I'm not in that category, I actually need Thailand to develop and prosper which by the way is also something I want Thai people to enjoy, however I wanted to point this out.)

It's rather funny (if it wasn't so sad) that a couple months ago on this very forum you often had topics going "Thailand is getting expensive, there's more and more rules, the bars are closing at midnight, screw this, I'm leaving." So... I fear in the end it remains a personal choice of where you want to live, i.e. where you feel the most happy with your quality of life vs expenses.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well what are the exit plans for a thai/farang family?

If the airport in CNX is open, we can directly fly to Europe.

But what if we have to go via another country? Which countries are open for a thai? (EU citizens shouldn't have much of a problem).

I think about singapore, kuala lumpur or hongkong... can thais go there without a visa?

What if we have to go by land? I don't think burma is an option, so it would be by land to laos and then fly from vientian to the cities mentioned above... any other options?

Don't forget it is only an emergency plan, at the moment we do not plan to leave.