Army Chief Urged To Stage Coup

george

Would you support a coup?  

949 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The sad truth is that the only way out is for there to be a long-standing coup or the assassination of several politicians.

Thaksin will never serve a day in the jail sentence that he deserves, his cohorts will go on unpunished. If the unpopular general responsible for the death of several during 1992 went unpunished, surely this criminal with the support of the North can only return to politics.

If Thaksin was a decent man he would accept and admit his guilt and disappear from Thai politics. Then his party could either continue to spread populist economic policies and govern with honesty and itegrity, or continue to operate under the guise of both while being more discrete with skimming money off of the top.

And the PAD will never serve a day in jail as they deserve. If the PAD leaders were decent they would turn themselves in on their warrents and if found guilty be executed or face life in prison for treason. I guess you think the only way out is for the terrorist act of taking over the airport or assassinating elected government officials? True PAD reasoning.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad truth is that the only way out is for there to be a long-standing coup or the assassination of several politicians.

Thaksin will never serve a day in the jail sentence that he deserves, his cohorts will go on unpunished. If the unpopular general responsible for the death of several during 1992 went unpunished, surely this criminal with the support of the North can only return to politics.

If Thaksin was a decent man he would accept and admit his guilt and disappear from Thai politics. Then his party could either continue to spread populist economic policies and govern with honesty and itegrity, or continue to operate under the guise of both while being more discrete with skimming money off of the top.

And the PAD will never serve a day in jail as they deserve. If the PAD leaders were decent they would turn themselves in on their warrents and if found guilty be executed or face life in prison for treason. I guess you think the only way out is for the terrorist act of taking over the airport or assassinating elected government officials? True PAD reasoning.

True.

I don't support the PAD either. They've handled this situation horribly and have gone way too far. They're just as bad as the TRT/PPP but at least they could disperse once these people are out of the game. The TRT/PPP will still keep a hold over this nation for as long as they can.

What do you suggest people do in order to restore order?

Quite amazing 50/50 split on a coup in Thai Visa land...

Can we wonder any longer why the Thais themselves are having a problem with all this?

If you look at the poll on Thaivisa "Do you support PAD" the PAD have a lower approval rating than George Bush. That should tell you something.

True.

I don't support the PAD either. They've handled this situation horribly and have gone way too far. They're just as bad as the TRT/PPP but at least they could disperse once these people are out of the game. The TRT/PPP will still keep a hold over this nation for as long as they can.

Why do people persist in saying the PAD have gone too far? The posters that regarded them as the saviors of the land went to far- by foolishly not understanding the nature of the PAD leadership. The PAD and ONLY the PAD will decide when it's gone too far- and so far- it is right on track.

People were warned that the enemy of their enemy is not nescessarily their friend- yet they put some kind of blind almost religious faith in the PAD leadership- this was a group that will use every possible means to attain its ends- it was- and it still is-

I think that what the posters mean is that they can no longer support the PAD- do you really think the PAD cares? They don't even care whether or not the population in Bangkok supports them- they have the clout they need without any extra support.

They NEVER set out to be a populist or even popular movement- they are utopianists at best- and like all 'true believers' very dangerous- it's sad it took some so long to see what others have feared for three years.

True.

The PPP are corrupt. The PAD is an illegal mob that does not care about Thailand or its reputation. The Police are afraid of old people armed with hand clappers. The army will not do their job and try to play politics. A suggestion? I don't think I or anyone else have a good one. Things look grim.

True.

The Police are afraid of old people armed with hand clappers.

I don't think that the police are one bit afraid of those people- I think they are afraid of the judges who will almost certainly sentence them harshly should they harm a hair on a PAD head. And possibly afraid that cracking a PAD skull will lead to all out warfare with the army- in which case the winner won't be the police.

Edited by blaze

Can we wonder any longer why the Thais themselves are having a problem with all this?

If you look at the poll on Thaivisa "Do you support PAD" the PAD have a lower approval rating than George Bush. That should tell you something.

Don't you think that might change now with the report of the government seeking Thaksin's help? I mean, geez, just when public sentiment swings your way, you announce help from the epicenter of all this, a convicted fugitive in another country. Neither side deserves to win. I gotta vote coup.

True.

Why do people persist in saying the PAD have gone too far? The posters that regarded them as the saviors of the land went to far- by foolishly not understanding the nature of the PAD leadership. The PAD and ONLY the PAD will decide when it's gone too far- and so far- it is right on track.

People were warned that the enemy of their enemy is not nescessarily their friend- yet they put some kind of blind almost religious faith in the PAD leadership- this was a group that will use every possible means to attain its ends- it was- and it still is-

I think that what the posters mean is that they can no longer support the PAD- do you really think the PAD cares? They don't even care whether or not the population in Bangkok supports them- they have the clout they need without any extra support.

They NEVER set out to be a populist or even popular movement- they are utopianists at best- and like all 'true believers' very dangerous- it's sad it took some so long to see what others have feared for three years.

You are complete right but Chamlong won with that 1992 and 2006.

And he still has good chances to win 2008, middle Dec the courts will dissolve the parties if the constitution is not changed.

not much time left. Even with a crackdown the government may loose now.

True.

I don't think that the police are one bit afraid of those people- I think they are afraid of the judges who will almost certainly sentence them harshly should they harm a hair on a PAD head.

It is a sad day when the judges would sentence the police for doing their job and would support a mob overtaking an airport and destroying the country. Why would the judges in Thailand support people breaking the laws that they are paid and sworn to uphold?

I don't think that the police are one bit afraid of those people- I think they are afraid of the judges who will almost certainly sentence them harshly should they harm a hair on a PAD head. And possibly afraid that cracking a PAD skull will lead to all out warfare with the army- in which case the winner won't be the police.

We don't know how many army do stay with the PAD or Army told them already to shoot into their back if they do a violent crackdown.

Seems everbody is playing 3 different games at the same time. Also many police might be opportunists and want to stay with the winner. So now they wait and see.

PAD seems to be less afraid than they were under Samak.

Don't you think that might change now with the report of the government seeking Thaksin's help? I mean, geez, just when public sentiment swings your way, you announce help from the epicenter of all this, a convicted fugitive in another country. Neither side deserves to win. I gotta vote coup.

Yes, quite amazing, just goes to show how spineless and ineffective this 'government' in hiding really is.

Government house is now Somchai's living room in Chiang Mai.

Bunker mentality from a morally bankrupt PPP.

If anyone thinks a coup will help stabilize the economy, may I remind you of the sanctions the EU and USA imposed last coup. Sanctions that put a major dent in the economy including access to low cost international development funds. If anyone thinks, Thailand can turn to China like last time, think again. China's economic woes are growing and it doesn't have the money to toss around.

Imposing military rule gives PAD what it wanted - rule by the elites.

I would suggest that any rule or government is better then what currently exists with an apparent collection of impotent leaders unable or unwilling to show credible leadership. As for the Elite running the country, then one could argue it is natural selection, after all, the so called uneducated poor are hardly able to make any sort of informed judgement are they ? That will take a further 50 years of education I suspect or thereabouts, or are you seriously suggesting that someone who can only "make their mark" on a voting slip should be able to stand as an MP ? If so what could they contiubte at National level to say foreign policy or investment ?

Democratic freedoms must develop, they can not be understood by all and consider most European countries struggled for more than 150 years to develop the democratic processes as we know now, whereas in Thailand they have only been at it for 66 years. Hence my earlier remark of requiring a further 50 years to fully develop the people and the country.

One of the few voices of well thought through common sense viewpoints in this entire thread. Clearly from an intelligent person as opposed to the Pattaya bar room experts often seen here whose concepts of national development ends below their own waistlines !

Voting Coup is voting PAD .. it is what the PAD has been calling for all this time, Thaksin/Somchai/PPP out of office.

Voting Coup is voting PAD .. it is what the PAD has been calling for all this time, Thaksin/Somchai/PPP out of office.

LOL!! Voting Coup is voting "none of the above". The poll showing PAD's approval rating as less than George Bush is the vote for PAD. Keep trying!!

Totally agree - welcoming a coup is essentially saying 'uncle' to the PAD arm twisting.

True.

I don't think that the police are one bit afraid of those people- I think they are afraid of the judges who will almost certainly sentence them harshly should they harm a hair on a PAD head.

It is a sad day when the judges would sentence the police for doing their job and would support a mob overtaking an airport and destroying the country. Why would the judges in Thailand support people breaking the laws that they are paid and sworn to uphold?

How the judges judge will be greatly dependent on how this turns out. The PAD can either go down in history heroes or villains. Sometimes breaking the law is warranted when either the law is unjust or you are trying to unseat a corrupt gov't. If everyone followed gov't laws no dictatorships would fall. This is not a dictatorship of course, but just making a point.

I think the gov't is doomed, the same way Thaksin was but never gave up and took the country down with him. The best thing is for the gov't to stand down and hold elections. If they the gov't doesn't act it will fall. If it sends the police in however non-voilent the gov't will fail. The only way out is to do as Gen. Anupong suggested.

I agree it would be sad to see police punished for doing their job. However, things don't always work or that way here.

True.

How the judges judge will be greatly dependent on how this turns out. The PAD can either go down in history heroes or villains. Sometimes breaking the law is warranted when either the law is unjust or you are trying to unseat a corrupt gov't. If everyone followed gov't laws no dictatorships would fall. This is not a dictatorship of course, but just making a point.

I think the gov't is doomed, the same way Thaksin was but never gave up and took the country down with him. The best thing is for the gov't to stand down and hold elections. If they the gov't doesn't act it will fall. If it sends the police in however non-voilent the gov't will fail. The only way out is to do as Gen. Anupong suggested.

I agree it would be sad to see police punished for doing their job. However, things don't always work or that way here.

This is a black eye for Thailand no matter what the outcome. Bad for foreign investment, bad for tourism and conventions. Bad for the future economic development of Thailand. I dont see a change in government cleaning up any of the corruption. It just puts the money in a different groups hands.

I live and work in Thailand and have a Thai wife as well. Thailand has a rich culture and heritage. It is a lot more than bars and cheap prostitutes. The negative world view of Thailand makes me sick and this is just adding more negativity.

I dont side with either party, and I dont have a solution for ending this but it should have never started. With all the turmoil going on measure should have been put in place to prevent this. Increased airport security would have been a good start. No lessons learned from Phuket, Chang Mai or the government house. Or maybe there was and those who could have prevented this wanted it to happen.

True.

This is a black eye for Thailand no matter what the outcome. Bad for foreign investment, bad for tourism and conventions. Bad for the future economic development of Thailand. I dont see a change in government cleaning up any of the corruption. It just puts the money in a different groups hands.

I live and work in Thailand and have a Thai wife as well. Thailand has a rich culture and heritage. It is a lot more than bars and cheap prostitutes. The negative world view of Thailand makes me sick and this is just adding more negativity.

I dont side with either party, and I dont have a solution for ending this but it should have never started. With all the turmoil going on measure should have been put in place to prevent this. Increased airport security would have been a good start. No lessons learned from Phuket, Chang Mai or the government house. Or maybe there was and those who could have prevented this wanted it to happen.

It will be forgotten faster then the devastating tsunami!

Depends very much on the outcome of the whole thing!

Why do so many people can only envision the rim of their own plate?

all these trouble and coup will go away, nobody will remember it, Thailand is still one of the best place to be, with all the trouble they made amount themself, they are still sensitive and caring people. beer keep flowing and girl keep hanging out.

Yes, quite amazing, just goes to show how spineless and ineffective this 'government' in hiding really is.

Government house is now Somchai's living room in Chiang Mai.

Bunker mentality from a morally bankrupt PPP.

Yes they have showed a bunker mentality for the last month or so,

but it's getting MUCH worse. Reminds me of their boss just before the coup,

more and more disoriented and paranoid. Saw similar after his visa was yanked away.

Edited by animatic

Actual, I am sure PAD would have preferred a simple resignation and fresh elections.

But that was not to be.

Edited by animatic

Some people here seem to assume the Thai judicial system is fully independent or the same like in some western countries

-No one has been brought to justice for the over 50 deaths by the para-military Red Gaur during the pro-democracy student protests in October 1976

-No one has been brought to justice for the over 50 deaths, which may have been the result of unlawful killings, and over 30 disappearances during the military crackdown of pro-democracy demonstrators in 1992 (Amnesty 2006 Report)

Also;

-No one has been brought to justice for the killings during Thaksin's drug war

this just to illustrate that independence between the legalislative and executive branches of government is not necessarely the case in the Thai system. Especially in times of crisis the judiciary system seems to be fluid. If the previous presidents of France or Italy had to comply with the strict American-style Thai anti-corruption laws they would never have been able to govern their country.

Edited by Nostraforce

If anyone thinks a coup will help stabilize the economy, may I remind you of the sanctions the EU and USA imposed last coup. Sanctions that put a major dent in the economy including access to low cost international development funds. If anyone thinks, Thailand can turn to China like last time, think again. China's economic woes are growing and it doesn't have the money to toss around.

Imposing military rule gives PAD what it wanted - rule by the elites.

I would suggest that any rule or government is better then what currently exists with an apparent collection of impotent leaders unable or unwilling to show credible leadership. As for the Elite running the country, then one could argue it is natural selection, after all, the so called uneducated poor are hardly able to make any sort of informed judgement are they ? That will take a further 50 years of education I suspect or thereabouts, or are you seriously suggesting that someone who can only "make their mark" on a voting slip should be able to stand as an MP ? If so what could they contiubte at National level to say foreign policy or investment ?

Democratic freedoms must develop, they can not be understood by all and consider most European countries struggled for more than 150 years to develop the democratic processes as we know now, whereas in Thailand they have only been at it for 66 years. Hence my earlier remark of requiring a further 50 years to fully develop the people and the country.

One of the few voices of well thought through common sense viewpoints in this entire thread. Clearly from an intelligent person as opposed to the Pattaya bar room experts often seen here whose concepts of national development ends below their own waistlines !

Do you really think the inbred elite are any smarter ?

In any other couhntry than Thailand, they wouldn't make it past the fast food joint staff.

-No one has been brought to justice for the over 50 deaths by the para-military Red Gaur during the pro-democracy student protests in October 1976

-No one has been brought to justice for the over 50 deaths, which may have been the result of unlawful killings, and over 30 disappearances during the military crackdown of pro-democracy demonstrators in 1992 (Amnesty 2006 Report)

Also;

-No one has been brought to justice for the killings during Thaksin's drug war

you forgot tak bai

I'm driving to Phuket this weekend as friend has a bar and restauarant in Kata. He says the Kings Cup has been cancelled for Monday due to the Muppets at the airport.

Still saying it will go ahead but start on Tuesday now.

Nice birthday present to a beloved soverign mr Sondhi. Hope you receive the thanks you deserve for this.

MICE estimated loss for this week is 300,000,000 dollars already in cancellations.

Plus the Army sponsored Bangkok 100 event :o:D

And the Laguna Triathlon which is a world series event is under threat as well.

Not looking so "educated" now are they these Bangkok Business men.

My prediction is that Thaksin will be back in power soon. Nobody else in Thai politics with the balls or the brains.

Bitch all you want about convictions. They mean squat now and your beloved PAD will be picking up thousands of convictions once there is a clear out of the Courts by K Thaksin.

Welcome back sir, how was the holiday? Would you like me to get some piano wire and PAD leaders for you sir? :D

Edited by grandpops

An exclusive video from thaksin

................................................................................

Allow me to add more details to the video-interview, added on YouTube on November 28, 2008, as described in the website of Mr. Thomas Crampton * , the journalist who interviewed Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra:

"Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today warned that the protesters blocking Bangkok’s airports must clear out or face the consequences.

He also warned that should the military launch a coup, it would be much more bloody than the previously occasions.

These came out when I had coffee today with Thaksin, who now lives in exile. He spoke passionately about this week’s events in Thailand.

Thaksin is extremely upset by the turn of events and remains closely involved. As we spoke, he took lengthy calls about the situation from two prime ministers in Southeast Asia.

In the video below, Thaksin urges all parties to obey Thai laws and warns that - unlike previous coups - attempts by the Thai military to seize power would go very badly.

Some quotes from the video:

“The airports must be reopened and the protesters must respect not only the law, but the citizens of Thailand,” Thaksin said. “If no one respects the law, then law enforcement must be done.”

“This is dangerous for the country and there will be a long term effect if the Thai people are not united,” Thaksin said. “The protesters need to leave the airports.” “Those who violate the law must be prosecuted.

“If a coup were to happen, there would be bloodshed, this would not be an easy coup like in the past. The people in Thailand now face hardship since dictatorship came.”

Thaksin urged his supporters to “protect democracy”: “If you protect Democracy you may be painful for a while, but if you allow dictatorship to take over Thailand you are going to have a nightmare for your whole life.”

Thaksin’s message to the military: “They are officials whose salary is paid by taxpayer money, so they have to do what is wanted by the whole of the Thai people, not just for minority groups. They must respect Democracy. They must play by the rules. Being neutral means you have to observe the law.”

Life in exile has surreal quality, Thaksin said. He was waiting in line for UK immigration one recent morning when Thai politicians began calling him on his mobile, lobbying for him to support their bids for power. A few days later, while outside of Britain, he learned that he could not go back to the UK. “It takes such a very strange quality sometimes, my life,” Thaksin said."

LaoPo