Tonys 24 Hour Market

JimSiam

Well the big block of dirt across from me is now Tonys 24 hour market, I cant imagine what this is going to do to parking and traffic around 3rd rd and Pattaya Tai area.

He is calling this Tony's Bazaar - only problem is that he has about 1000 flags flying that have the word misspelled as "Barzaar" - you would think that someone with his background would have proofread these before hanging them. If they charge Thai prices then the small stalls might do ok- like the nakula market and the on on Soi potisahn but if they try and overcharge they won't last long - i go to the gym there 5 times a week and parking is already tight

Well the big block of dirt across from me is now Tonys 24 hour market, I cant imagine what this is going to do to parking and traffic around 3rd rd and Pattaya Tai area.

If you are cheap enough to overlook this area then you won't have a parking problem, cars are expensive these days :o .

I heard a few weeks ago that they are now changing to food only??

He is calling this Tony's Bazaar - only problem is that he has about 1000 flags flying that have the word misspelled as "Barzaar" - you would think that someone with his background would have proofread these before hanging them. If they charge Thai prices then the small stalls might do ok- like the nakula market and the on on Soi potisahn but if they try and overcharge they won't last long - i go to the gym there 5 times a week and parking is already tight

Proofreader say Naklua not Nakula and Photisan :o:D (sorry could'nt resist)

there was / probably still is a small but crowded and busy food stall market just up the road from that next to the 7-11 and the bike shop. the carnies that were there didn't seem to attract many people and his business center looks empty.

but who knows.

there's markets everywhere, its more about location than anything.

Proofreader say Naklua not Nakula and Photisan :o:D (sorry could'nt resist)

i hate when that happens............... :D:D:D:wai:

there was / probably still is a small but crowded and busy food stall market just up the road from that next to the 7-11 and the bike shop. the carnies that were there didn't seem to attract many people and his business center looks empty.

but who knows.

At 16 baht a unit for electricity and 40k per month with 2nd year large increases in rent its no wonder its empty.

but who knows.

I cannot see the attraction of this location just for food? It's in the middle of nowhere

Food courts seem to do well - and there look like some interesting stands are setting up in there.

The guy owns the whole corner of the 3rd road and Pattaya Tai intersection now - all that cash could not have possibly come from ripping off farangs in a walking street disco.

I think there was a different thread on the Tony's food court on Third Road (?), I was sat at that junction waiting for the lights pondering exactly how many people in passing trade would venture past the front row of stalls to get to the back row to buy a quick snack?

So the back row become un-rentable much like similar complexes of bars, would it not have made better sense to make a common seating area in the middle and encompass it with a horseshoe of food stalls along the back and sides? Would have reduced the costs for installing so much cooking ventilation ducts, that's pretty!

I recall his TV adverts for the "...biggest investment ever!" when promoting the floating restaraunt about 5/7 years ago? Is that still going? I recall asking where the big cruiseliner of the TV advert was when looking at Pattaya Bay, needless to say I laughed when it was pointed out.

As long as they don't charge Farangs double the price like at the disco and gyms - it might work

You should get your facts straight here.

A group of Filipino gals on the town last night were charged full price for drinks (180 baht softdrinks) in Tony's Disco. Just shown the price list as all customers are.

As long as they don't charge Farangs double the price like at the disco and gyms - it might work

A group of Filipino gals on the town last night were charged full price for drinks (180 baht softdrinks) in Tony's Disco. Just shown the price list as all customers are.

OK so the place rips off everyone other than Thais - still hope the food court will not have this policy.

OK so the place rips off everyone other than Thais - still hope the food court will not have this policy.

dude, they don't even let us thais in there. if you ever see a thai inside tony's disco, they probably work there :o

Even that is debatable, because the Filipinos all look Thai. They were handed the price card before anyone even spoke, so the waiter could not have determined their nationality at the time.

Either way, the prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Even that is debatable, because the Filipinos all look Thai.

So untrue...maybe to most el blankos...Thais and Filipinos come from completely different ethnic groups and any asian (especially a thai or filipino) could easily distinguish between them before even a word was exchanged.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Even that is debatable, because the Filipinos all look Thai.

So untrue...maybe to most el blankos...Thais and Filipinos come from completely different ethnic groups and any asian (especially a thai or filipino) could easily distinguish between them before even a word was exchanged.

This is absolute nonsense. You have no clue what you're talking about.

For 3 years now every single Thai we've met (we live in Thailand) assumes my Filipino gf is Thai...without a single exception.

There's no possible way for you to distinguish them apart unless they speak...and I've lived in both countries for many years. A Thai would be similarly mistaken for a Filipino if they visited the Philippines. My gf cannot even pick the Filipinos out of a crowd of Thais.

Likewise my gf is thought to be Laotian when we visit Laos and Cambodian when we visit Cambodia. Same in Indonesia. Only the non-Muslim clothing she wears gives her a break in Malaysia.

Obviously, due to the close proximity of China there are more people with Chinese facial features living in Thailand than the Philippines, but there are plenty of Filipinos with Chinese features too. There's a wide range of facial features and skin colour in both countries adding further to the confusion.

Nothing beats real life experience.

Edited by tropo

dude, they don't even let us thais in there. if you ever see a thai inside tony's disco, they probably work there :o

...or are female?

• 1 month later...
The place always seems dead to me at the bazaar, i cant understand why people have paid 6 months x 3,500 baht rent up from and the 100,000 baht key money.

Tony must be an exceptionally good motivator.

I couldn't think of a worse place to put a market.

The place always seems dead to me at the bazaar, i cant understand why people have paid 6 months x 3,500 baht rent up from and the 100,000 baht key money.

Tony must be an exceptionally good motivator.

I couldn't think of a worse place to put a market.

Sorry, its actually 3,500 for one months advance payment and 500 for the key money. For a one year contract, seems like they arent charging the daily rent of 100 Baht, which they shouldnt cause they dont do enough promotion, the market enviorment is crap, the management is cheap, and basicly you dont have barely and customers. Would be interesting how this market is going to turn out.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, its actually 3,500 for one months advance payment and 500 for the key money. For a one year contract, seems like they arent charging the daily rent of 100 Baht, which they shouldnt cause they dont do enough promotion, the market enviorment is crap, the management is cheap, and basicly you dont have barely and customers. Would be interesting how this market is going to turn out.

Well what ever they are paying, they apparently aren't happy about it now !

Tony’s Bazaar Village protestors

More than one hundred vendors who have taken up business at kiosks at the recently

opened Tony’s Bazaar Village on Third Road held a protest on the 21st January

over demands by the management for higher payment of utility fees.

They made a petition to the management about being what they state as being overcharged

for electricity and water, which was not in their contracts that they originally made when

taking up occupation of the kiosks. Apparently, 5 men have been issuing threats of disconnection

if did not pay 100 baht per day for the utilities, which the vendors claim was set

at 20 baht per day for water and electricity.

Full Story: Pattaya People News