Protesters Look Set To Be Dispersed At 3 P.m.

BangkokBP

Cutting the supply lines is a good idea, has worked in seige warfare for centuries, I think the mongols were the first to perfect it.........

Why can't they cut power to the airport? I know PAD must have generators, but it would help.

Can you imagine the mess to clear up in the airport when this is all over? Who is going to foot the bill?

The leaders of PAD should be put in jail and bankrupted and the money given to the state.

Imagine how many jobs at the airport alone are at risk sue to their crazy antics.

So far the airport LOOKS as clean as when the PAD moved in.

Cutting supplies may sound like a good idea --- but it isn't. same with electricity.

You guys have seen too many cop shows and are thinking about hostage negotiation. Instead .... think .... They are staying. No bottled water gets to them from outside then they have to look for it inside. No petrol gets to them from outside then they have to get it from the airports supply etc etc.

So far it appears that we have a situation with almost no damage to the airport ... escalating could certainly change that situation quickly!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sondhi's finnances realte to the PAD in that when the PAD started he basically said that he was behind it and using his business empire to bankroll demos 2 years ago.

From Wikipedia:

By 1996, he had over US$600 million in assets. His business faced a meltdown following the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997, forcing him into bankruptcy and sparking investigations into irregular inter-company transactions. Immediately after the crisis, Sondhi furiously attacked the Democrat-led government over its management of the economic recovery. With the election of Thaksin Shinawatra as Prime Minister in 2001, several of Sondhi's associates became leaders in the new government. His banker, Viroj Nualkhair, became president of state-owned Krung Thai Bank and gave more than a billion baht in "debt forgiveness" to Sondhi, allowing him to emerge from bankruptcy. Sondhi became a vocal supporter of Thaksin, calling him "the best prime minister our country has ever had.
Christian Sicence Minitor Nov 26 2008 : Bleaker still is the financial picture of its propaganda network, Manager Media Group. After ducking a civil court hearing with creditors this month, its assets may be eligible for seizure.

The firm has more than $133 million in debt – a fortune in Thai business terms. Its "news" channel, which runs nonstop footage of protests, posts frequent banner ads requesting donations.

The PAD has protesters to feed, satellite trucks to maintain, technicians, bodyguards, and others to pay. According to Sondhi, occupying the compound costs roughly 1 million Thai baht ($28,400) a day.

We wouldn't want to make life uncomfortable for the terrorists now would we? The compassionate thing to do would be to allow their Issan maids in to launder their clothes!

Where are Terrorists in Thailand?

Consdiering the government have just replaced the police chief, it looks like they are going to press ahead with a more proactive approach.

Nice ...

Finally some action , something they should have done 3/4 days ago . Boil them or whatever ... as long as they go back home i'm fine . They need to realise that this is something you do not do , you do not take a international airport or a harbour or something like that and if you do punishment would be severe . Would be everywhere in the world ...

Of course this is something you do if you think you have a statement important enough to make, enough people to help you out and the security is slack enough (or the security people support your agenda). Its been peaceful, no harm done, you sound like my old auntie. Harbours next? :o

Gravelrash -- see post 128

then point out where I said it was not true when responding to you

then explain how Sondhi's business's financial standings relate to the PAD? (again the restructuring of his businesses seems to date from 1999)

JD I had the impression that you said that, if incorrect my apologies. I am not interested in being right all the time, just want to dig into things.

As the major PAD leader who was a former Taksin mate, the rationale behind him turning on Taksin and what he may have to gain by doing so, I see as important to understand. I always like to look at these situations as who has what to gain (call me a cynic if you will). People in power are generally motivate by greed or power. If you have been in Thailand a while you know that always underwrites a persons behaviour. As such if what the other poster said was corect then Sondhi's financial situation could be very important to his PAD activism. And by extension their credibilty.

BBC are reporting the PAD's supply lines to Suvarnabhumi have been effectively stopped by the police. If that's true and continues to hold true, it would seem unlikely they will be able to survive in there for very much longer.

Can't see how they could confirm that when Jonathan Head is still sipping G & T's on his 5* condo balcony ! that man should stop reading Clancy and report facts.

Is that pr1ck actually in Bangkok?

(reading some of the stuff on the BBC, i do wonder sometimes)

His name used to be Richard but he got it changed by deedpoll to Johnathan should have just kept it as Richard I agree what a Dick :o

Protest leaders refuse Saturday talks BANGKOK, Nov 28 (TNA) - Key protest leaders have refused to hold talks to end the siege of Bangkok's two main airports, after four parties including the police tried to bring them to the negotiating table on Saturday.

After a security meeting, regional police deputy commander Major General Piya Sorntrakoon claimed protesters had agreed to hold formal talks on Saturday with authorities.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Somsak Kosaisuk however denied the police’s claim, saying no such contact had been made. He said more PAD guards had been called in to protect the protesters’ defence lines.

Meanwhile, Police Lieutenant General Suchart Muankaew, the metropolitan police bureau chief, issued an order telling protesters at Don Mueang airport to leave the premises immediately.

"All protesters must leave the protest site otherwise law enforcement officers will carry out necessary measures to handle the situation," said the senior police officer.

The order came a day after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared a state of emergency at the two main airports.

The premier reiterated on Friday he had imposed the emergency decree with the intention of tackling the problem, which had caused serious damage to the nation. It was meant to restore order, not to cause violence.

“The handling of protesters will be carried out in accordance with international practices. The best way out is negotiation. First, we must end the airport seizure. Otherwise, it will cause negative consequences to all sides,” said the premier.

Interior Minister Kowit Wattana assured the public that the government would adopt a soft approach to handle with the protesters who have closed Bangkok's two main airports for days.

Meanwhile, the Administrative Court dropped an appeal filed by a PAD lawyer against the Civil Court’s injunctions ordering the PAD to leave Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. (TNA)

Actually its you who misses the point, "Some positions in life require you to do what is right and fulfill the obligations to your job," agreed and if your leaders also fulfilled their responsibilities instead of hiding away in Chiang Mai you might be prepared to carry out your responsibilities.

That is a reasonably fair critique in a perfect world. What bothers me though is that what countries give the police and army the "right" to disobey orders if it crosses their political opinions? The job of the police is to enforce the law, not choose to ignore that because you agree with the politics of a law breaker.

Even on this forum there is divided opinion, what about in Thai society? Who is wrong and who is right? Neither, it is about what side you support. Both are 100% right in their own minds. Guess that is why they say to maintain harmony don't discuss politics or religion, they are emotive issues.

Because I criticize PAD more than the government that doesn't mean I have any respect for the governmnet whatsoever, they are <deleted>. I just think the PAD are going about things in a wrong and destructive way. Both sides agenda is to benefit themselves, I sincerely wish a middle way could be found.

Couldn't be more true.

Sondhi's finnances realte to the PAD in that when the PAD started he basically said that he was behind it and using his business empire to bankroll demos 2 years ago.

From Wikipedia:

By 1996, he had over US$600 million in assets. His business faced a meltdown following the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997, forcing him into bankruptcy and sparking investigations into irregular inter-company transactions. Immediately after the crisis, Sondhi furiously attacked the Democrat-led government over its management of the economic recovery. With the election of Thaksin Shinawatra as Prime Minister in 2001, several of Sondhi's associates became leaders in the new government. His banker, Viroj Nualkhair, became president of state-owned Krung Thai Bank and gave more than a billion baht in "debt forgiveness" to Sondhi, allowing him to emerge from bankruptcy. Sondhi became a vocal supporter of Thaksin, calling him "the best prime minister our country has ever had.
Christian Sicence Minitor Nov 26 2008 : Bleaker still is the financial picture of its propaganda network, Manager Media Group. After ducking a civil court hearing with creditors this month, its assets may be eligible for seizure.

The firm has more than $133 million in debt – a fortune in Thai business terms. Its "news" channel, which runs nonstop footage of protests, posts frequent banner ads requesting donations.

The PAD has protesters to feed, satellite trucks to maintain, technicians, bodyguards, and others to pay. According to Sondhi, occupying the compound costs roughly 1 million Thai baht ($28,400) a day.

When you listen ASTV you hear every day what people donate.

My wife is giving 2000-3000 Baht every time she is there, my staff 100-500 Baht. But I also recall a chinese business woman who gave a 1.000.000 cheque on the stage.

I personally know a few companies who Thaksin wanted to kill at every mean, for sure they don't have a problem to spend 10 or 20 millions.

Only to recall DTAC who got a complete different contract than his company and I got told that his cronies made a lot problems from small to big companies (Microsoft Thailand was also one).

to many enemies from Thaksin in a loose Alliance.

From Wikipedia:

When you listen ASTV you hear every day what people donate.

My wife is giving 2000-3000 Baht every time she is there, my staff 100-500 Baht. But I also recall a chinese business woman who gave a 1.000.000 cheque on the stage.

I personally know a few companies who Thaksin wanted to kill at every mean, for sure they don't have a problem to spend 10 or 20 millions.

Only to recall DTAC who got a complete different contract than his company and I got told that his cronies made a lot problems from small to big companies (Microsoft Thailand was also one).

to many enemies from Thaksin in a loose Alliance.

Their boss being a rabid PAD supporter has nothing to do with your staff's donations? :D

A Chinese Businesswoman would never donate anonymously, or how could she receive credit for it. :o:D Power/ego trip and I suspect she has picked the winners, new contracts awaiting down the line.

Actually its you who misses the point, "Some positions in life require you to do what is right and fulfill the obligations to your job," agreed and if your leaders also fulfilled their responsibilities instead of hiding away in Chiang Mai you might be prepared to carry out your responsibilities.

That is a reasonably fair critique in a perfect world. What bothers me though is that what countries give the police and army the "right" to disobey orders if it crosses their political opinions? The job of the police is to enforce the law, not choose to ignore that because you agree with the politics of a law breaker.

Even on this forum there is divided opinion, what about in Thai society? Who is wrong and who is right? Neither, it is about what side you support. Both are 100% right in their own minds. Guess that is why they say to maintain harmony don't discuss politics or religion, they are emotive issues.

Because I criticize PAD more than the government that doesn't mean I have any respect for the governmnet whatsoever, they are <deleted>. I just think the PAD are going about things in a wrong and destructive way. Both sides agenda is to benefit themselves, I sincerely wish a middle way could be found.

I would also love to see a peaceful resolution. But perhaps any reluctance on the part of the now removed national police chief were statements like this conimg from the government spokesman:

" Meanwhile, the government removed National Police Chief General Gen Phatcharawat Wongsuwan on Friday without giving a reason. "Nobody wants to have blood on their hands," said Sunai Phasuk, the HRW representative in Thailand. He said that the police chief, like the army chief, was reluctant to move quickly against the protesters for fear of a bloodbath. Police officials had said on Thursday they would begin by trying to talk the protesters out of the airports.

Government spokesman Natthawut took a harder line. "I am informed by a non-governmental organization that the international human rights organizations and foreign diplomats want government to evacuate over 3,000 tourists to safety first then the government can do anything with the protesters. They will not oppose or question government about it actions against the protesters," Natthawut told reporters. "

Time.

My wife is giving 2000-3000 Baht every time she is there, my staff 100-500 Baht.

A first you asking me, where PAD pay Demonstrators, because your wife and your staff need to know.

Now you are telling us, they are donating PAD.

What the hel_l u are smoking?

Edited by hudriwudri

Their boss being a rabid PAD supporter has nothing to do with your staff's donations? :D

A Chinese Businesswoman would never donate anonymously, or how could she receive credit for it. :o:D Power/ego trip and I suspect she has picked the winners, new contracts awaiting down the line.

Revenge....a lot people....Recall Thaksin ordered the revenue departments to check all the sois for mum and pups shops and take tax from them.

A lot middle size companies he demanded shares and if you know chinese families, than you know they help together against an enemy.

BBC are reporting the PAD's supply lines to Suvarnabhumi have been effectively stopped by the police. If that's true and continues to hold true, it would seem unlikely they will be able to survive in there for very much longer.

Can't see how they could confirm that when Jonathan Head is still sipping G & T's on his 5* condo balcony ! that man should stop reading Clancy and report facts.

Jonathan Head hasnt been on duty all day. He must be having time

off because a Quentin Sommerville is doing all the reporting ( not as good as Jonathan Head)

Jonathan Head has been one of the most distinguished reporters on the current Thai political crisis.The insulting and ill educated posts on this thread about him simply reveal the boorish and ignorant nature of the authors.

My wife is giving 2000-3000 Baht every time she is there, my staff 100-500 Baht.

A first you asking me, where PAD pay Demonstrators, because your wife and your staff need to know.

Now you are telling us, they are donating PAD.

What the hel_l u are smoking?

there is a box at government house full with money 20 Baht 100 Baht 1000 Baht.

And always people put money in. If I recall right I have a picture of it from the place before government house, I can send you if you want or instruct my staff to make a nice new picture.

Cutting the supply lines is a good idea, has worked in seige warfare for centuries, I think the mongols were the first to perfect it.........

Why can't they cut power to the airport? I know PAD must have generators, but it would help.

Can you imagine the mess to clear up in the airport when this is all over? Who is going to foot the bill?

The leaders of PAD should be put in jail and bankrupted and the money given to the state.

Imagine how many jobs at the airport alone are at risk sue to their crazy antics.

So far the airport LOOKS as clean as when the PAD moved in.

Cutting supplies may sound like a good idea --- but it isn't. same with electricity.

You guys have seen too many cop shows and are thinking about hostage negotiation. Instead .... think .... They are staying. No bottled water gets to them from outside then they have to look for it inside. No petrol gets to them from outside then they have to get it from the airports supply etc etc.

So far it appears that we have a situation with almost no damage to the airport ... escalating could certainly change that situation quickly!

I understand what you're saying. but up until now they have used their own supplies. It's one thing taking over a property in civil disobediance (spelling?), but it's another thing altother looting. It's opening them up to all sorts of law breaking as it's no longer a government building, but they are stealing supplis from private business.

I expect you're right tho, they'll get the supplies they need from whereever they can get them.......

Jonathan Head has been one of the most distinguished reporters on the current Thai political crisis.The insulting and ill educated posts on this thread about him simply reveal the boorish and ignorant nature of the authors.

Okay Jonnie, calm down! Shouldn't you be working on your copy for PM in two hours time?

This would be the same Jonathan Head who yesterday on the BBC website claimed Udon Thani shared a border with Laos...!!!

:o

Gravelrash -- see post 128

then point out where I said it was not true when responding to you

then explain how Sondhi's business's financial standings relate to the PAD? (again the restructuring of his businesses seems to date from 1999)

JD I had the impression that you said that, if incorrect my apologies. I am not interested in being right all the time, just want to dig into things.

As the major PAD leader who was a former Taksin mate, the rationale behind him turning on Taksin and what he may have to gain by doing so, I see as important to understand. I always like to look at these situations as who has what to gain (call me a cynic if you will). People in power are generally motivate by greed or power. If you have been in Thailand a while you know that always underwrites a persons behaviour. As such if what the other poster said was corect then Sondhi's financial situation could be very important to his PAD activism. And by extension their credibilty.

Gravel,

Thaksin has a long history of turning on those he no longer needs.

Particularly if they will become competition to his interests.

Sondhi was in Cell phones AND in a Lao Deal for a competing satalite in the sky.

When Thaksin got insider info about the 1997 baht float and devaluation he pointedly

DIDN'T invite Sondhi to the party, as he divested to dollars big time,

even thought Sondhi had made Thaksin close to 500 MIL baht, in their earlier deal.

Sondhi would be too big a competition in TWO businesses, so he trashed him, never to be forgiven.

A fair playing field is not Thaksins favorite venue for commerce.

He likes a stacked deck, so he created a political machine to stack the deck better TRT.

And it worked for a long time....

Edited by animatic

Aren't army helicopters geared up to make emergency supply drops where-ever and whenever they are needed ? Just a thought , maybe the Pad lovers here on TV could arrainge something instead of just peeing in the wind , although , that is one way of getting your own back , 555 .

Jonathan Head is a big coward who doesnt dare to critisize the government! Most of his reports are biased as hel_l.

Chicken @#%@

From TOC

MUST READ: PAD Clearifies Decision to Surround Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport

UPDATE : 28 November 2008

What does the People’s Alliance for Democracy have to gain from this long struggle?

A country that is free of corruption, crony capitalism, and nepotism. There is no financial gain to be made. Sondhi Limthongkul has already came out on several occasions and spoke about how he was offered more than 500 million baht for ASTV, but declined the offer knowing that it would be the end to INDEPENDENT Media free from the governments control. Pipob Thongchai has no business interest he is well known for his free educational schools in the provinces. Somkiat Pongpaiboon, is a former academic and now politician who wants to see change in society. Somsak Kosaisuk, is a leader of the state enterprises confederation who fought against the privatization of state enterprises. Chamlong Srimuang is a former army general, Bangkok governor and now an organic farmer who has a leadership school for civil servants as well as looking after unwanted street dogs. Not quite a group of capitalist bent on gaining from this long enduring struggle.

Several people have asked why have the PAD has resorted to protesting at Suvanaphumi airport?

The PAD has protested for more than six months, holding several mini rally’s around the city. We have protested at the ECC, Metropolitan Police Bureau, UK Embassy, Silom, Siam Square and several other areas in the capital to protest the corruption and lies within the government.

The Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat governments both claim they came from free and fair democratic elections?

If that is true why is there coalition government consisting of the People Power Party, Chart Thai and Matchima Tipataya Party close to being dissolved due to electoral violations and accusations of vote buying? So, is it fair to say they had to cheat to win? If they do have the support they claim? Why would it be necessary to go such measures to win votes?

Is Thai Media free from government intervention?

It’s funny that the Pro-Government supporters who have a TV program on NBT Channel 11are bent on voicing their opposition against the PAD while they are broadcast on FREE TV, while ASTV is only available to those who have access to internet, members of provincial cable (which mind you only reaches 20-30% of the population), and viewer who purchase Free to Air satellites. So, in other words the people who support the PAD have had to go out of their way to listen to what the PAD has to say and not the PRO-Government Propaganda that is being aired. So, you could say the made a conscientious choice to listen to ASTV instead.

This government loves to speak of their populist policies? But always forget about the criminals within their party

Why doesn’t this government ever talk about the former party members who have been jailed such as Somchai (Kamnan Poh) the father of Sonthaya Khunplume former tourism minister or Wattana Asavahame who have both fled the country after their convictions of corruption? Let’s not forget the other person they are protecting Thaksin Shinawatra.

For the last 6 months, the government has chosen to ignore hundreds of thousands of Thai citizens who have dome out to show opposition toward this administration. The PAD realizes that the airport closures will drastically affect Thailand on a variety of dimensions. However, we will no longer be ignored.

Jonathan Head is a big coward who doesnt dare to critisize the government! Most of his reports are biased as hel_l.

Chicken @#%@

He's in some kind of trouble at the moment, maybe lese majesty.