Overstay Fines Exempted For Travelers Stranded By Bangkok Airport Closure

george

Overstay fines exempted for travelers stranded by Bangkok airport closures

PHUKET CITY: -- Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd has confirmed that any travelers stranded in Thailand by the closure of Bangkok’s two airports will be exempted from paying overstay fines.

Immigration headquarters in Bangkok has instructed immigration officers nationwide to extend “special assistance” to stranded travelers, just as it did in the wake of the 2004 tsunami disaster, he said.

Such assistance includes not only waiving overstay fines, but helping tourists find accommodation, he added.

Foreigners with long overstays hoping to use the crisis to slip out of the country without paying a fine will be disappointed, however.

The overstay fee waiver will only be granted on a case-by-case basis to travelers able to prove that the airport closure was responsible for their delayed departure.

Travelers should be prepared to show documentary evidence, such as air tickets, to support their claims when leaving the country, he said.

Col Chanatpol said Phuket Airport Immigration and Customs expects an increase in the number of arrivals here as more planes scheduled to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport, especially direct flights from Malaysia and Singapore, touch down at Phuket Airport instead.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-11-28

http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=6936

Foreigners with long overstays hoping to use the crisis to slip out of the country without paying a fine will be disappointed, however.
I bet more than a few people where disappointed with that paragraph. :D

They might have thought about it earlier... :o

I had flights booked for Wednesday and my visa expires on Saturday.

Going to try and get out through Vientiane next week and I Wonder if we can get a copy of that in Thai to take to the immigration office as we leave.

Have the Print out of the bookings so should be ok. Will see though

Edited by russfair

I have overstayed my Visa by 10 days after all extensions so I am happy to pay 5000 baht but that would have meant me leaving yesterday morning. Have tockets to prove this so no way am I paying anymore than 5000baht for the 10 days up to thrusday.

:o

PHUKET CITY: -- Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd has confirmed that any travelers stranded in Thailand by the closure of Bangkok’s two airports will be exempted from paying overstay fines.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-11-28

http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=6936

Overstay fines are not exempted from anything. Travelers are exempted from paying the fines.

At least the Police Superintendent has been quoted correctly in English.

I realize that’s a petty observation, but had it been a Thai who fumbled the wording, the Petty Brigade would have been all over it.

not sure why the emmigration authority of thailand or at least bangkok emmigration authority did not issue this statement in a national and bangkok news stations and newspapers.

not that many people read the phuket gazette

At last logic and common sense prevails!! Who said they didn't have it in them!!!?

Indeed, I'm flabergasted that officialdom are using common sense.

What next? abolition of dual pricing? Exchange rates allowed to float?

Sorry! Keep on dreaming. However Immigration seem like the only ones in LOS that think and have common sense.

So I had a ticket to go to Singapore yesterday. My visa expires on 6 Jan and my next planned trip out is on 27 Jan, 3 weeks later.

I am not planning another trip between now and then and it would be a massive inconvenience. Why should I have to make what would now be a pointless trip? If I show up with my unused ticket for Singapore 27 Nov when I fly to Perth on 27 Jan will they accept that?

I doubt it but I don't see why not.

So I had a ticket to go to Singapore yesterday. My visa expires on 6 Jan and my next planned trip out is on 27 Jan, 3 weeks later.

I am not planning another trip between now and then and it would be a massive inconvenience. Why should I have to make what would now be a pointless trip? If I show up with my unused ticket for Singapore 27 Nov when I fly to Perth on 27 Jan will they accept that?

I doubt it but I don't see why not.

I was at the immigration office today because my 30 day stamp expires tomorrow. I have a ticket to fly out on monday, so I wanted to get a 1 week extension (not realising that is more expensive than overstaying 2 days). The lady at the information desk told me I do not need to extend because the overstay is allowed now (even though I don't have a ticket to fly before my visa expires). She also told me that if monday's the flight is cancelled, I should get on the first possible flight after that. So I don't think they will except you flying on the 27th of Januari.

The whole world, his brother and dog were moaning, prior to this announcement, the illogic of the Thais, they then proceed to do what any legitamate over stayer wants and they still moan.

heavens above :o

With pedantics, semantics and dual pricing thrown in, TITV :D

Good Luck

Moss

The government has a huge opportunity to capitalize on a captive airport crowd and the hands not out..... mmm, I am impressed, however, I heard that the taxi drivers are charging a 1000 baht back to town! and pad thai is 150 baht, bottled water-50 baht from the vendors. Its going to make a lot of people wonder why they ever or ever should return to Thailand.

A mate and I went to Bureau of Immigration yesterday at Sathorn. We got a very nice lady that actually apologised to us for the inconvenience that this has caused! My mate just did a visa run to Cambodia this morning (he can no longer wait for the airport to re-open, he has to go back to work) and said there was no problem with the overstay if you have the documentation; he had to write some sort of letter as well, explaining it.

Maybe due to the high Baht (for some of us), no tourists coming from other Asian countries, and a 30% drop in overall tourist numbers before this crisis, they are starting to realise that they have to look after the people that are wanting to stay or return!

still.... you go to thai immigration in chiang mai and they give you 7 days for 1900 baht. No discretion applied.

I bet more than a few people where disappointed with that paragraph. :D

They might have thought about it earlier... :o

Hope they've also suspended the horrendous paperwork.

Years ago I was 2 hours overstay and they certainly made a song and dance about it,

though thankfully no red stamp in the passport.

Immigration headquarters in Bangkok has instructed immigration officers nationwide to extend “special assistance” to stranded travelers, just as it did in the wake of the 2004 tsunami disaster, he said.

Such assistance includes not only waiving overstay fines, but helping tourists find accommodation, he added.

The overstay fee waiver will only be granted on a case-by-case basis to travelers able to prove that the airport closure was responsible for their delayed departure.

Travelers should be prepared to show documentary evidence, such as air tickets, to support their claims when leaving the country, he said.

Col Chanatpol said Phuket Airport Immigration and Customs expects an increase in the number of arrivals here as more planes scheduled to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport, especially direct flights from Malaysia and Singapore, touch down at Phuket Airport instead.

baby steps

Anyone knows what happens to WP holders on Multiple-Non B Visas, who need to get new Visa from outside SEA these days?

What i want to know is who is going to compen us for this ?

I was ment to fly out on the 26th november ? then was told the 1st december ? now they say 6th december if im lucky and i only have 100pond left in funds till then and a hotel still to pay for on overstay there ?

I dont have extra cash as i boat all my christmass presents before i came here and only had a nought money for my trip plus ill off mist work by 10days and am self employed so no come back on that ?

by the time i get back ill be about 2500 out of pocket would my travel insurance cover me for that ?

What a f up or what :o