New In Bangkok?

tahlin

Ok ladies I have a big problem!

I moved to Bkk 3 weeks ago with my boyfriend who got a job over here. Its not my first time in Thailand, I have been in Bkk several times before and lived in Chiang Mai for a year.. But this is different because Im actually going to live in Bkk and I dont know anybody here.. I miss my girlfriends, I need someone to have coffee with at Starbucks, who would love a glass of wine or two, who wants to go shopping, talk about makeup and just some one to hang out with basically :o

How did you meet new friends when you first moved to this city? Doesnt seem to be a lot of farang ladies out there if you compare it to all the men :D

Im from Scandinavia, 31 years old, work from home so no chance meeting people there and will soon enough bore my boyfriend to bits..

Pretty please help me out , Im a very nice person :D

Hi,

Moved from the u.k (midlands) in august with hubby and 2 teenagers, they have

settled to their new lives brilliantly which was all that mattered but now i'm thinking

what about me , i thought making friends would come naturally but it has'nt, has anyone any experiences with the british womens group have got the forms but cant

bring myself to fill them in (silly i know).

Thought the family would be enough but no i need another outlet, anyone interested in

hanging out with a 48 year old woman who likes shopping, cinema, exploring new places, eating out, football and girls night out.

Please help.

Welcome to the forum lynd.

We have a pinned meet up thread & also there are thaivisa meet ups arranged in BKK forum all the time. I have heard good things about the womens groups in BKK but ok they may not be your cup of tea completely but they will be a way to network other women & then once you have made those connections, more potential friends/meet ups will become available to you. Go for it. The worse that can happen is you hate it & never go again but at least you gave it a chance :o

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a few threads about this in the past regarding the difficulty of making friends in Bangkok and I recall one of the more useful suggestions was to take some simple conversational Thai classes. For one thing, it will help you get around easier (and IME, speaking Thai has given me more positive experiences) as well as meeting new people in the class.

Welcome to the forum lynd.

We have a pinned meet up thread & also there are thaivisa meet ups arranged in BKK forum all the time. I have heard good things about the womens groups in BKK but ok they may not be your cup of tea completely but they will be a way to network other women & then once you have made those connections, more potential friends/meet ups will become available to you. Go for it. The worse that can happen is you hate it & never go again but at least you gave it a chance :o

Hello! I am new to this board. I've noticed this thread, and I'd like to ask: where is this thread that one can use for meet ups and make potential friends? I couldn't find it.

I am a Professor who plans to be in Thailand some time soon. I'm looking to make friends with a nice lady (or ladies) who will be willing to meet me, guide me around, help me with some potential problems, and so on. Basically, something of a "guardian angel". She doesn't have to speak good English, I can help with that. This is my first trip and being new, this helps to ease my mind about a number of hassles.

I don't want to use dating sites for meet ups. I used to do this, but not anymore for a long time now.

Hi Torrentstorm, welcome to thaivisa.

The meet up threads in this section (ladies forum) are usually aimed towards expat & thai women to meet up, network & make freinds, not for men looking to meet companions/guides etc.

Also as the thai women who do post here have excellent english & generally work full time in professional roles they probably wont have time to act as a guides. (But you never know) That said, there are often meet up threads arranged in the BKK, Chaingmai & Phuket sub forums where the men & women of thaivisa meet each other & posting on those threads may lead you to further contacts for guides & assistance.

Our meet up thread is pinned, just at the top of this page.

:o

Hi Torrentstorm, welcome to thaivisa.

The meet up threads in this section (ladies forum) are usually aimed towards expat & thai women to meet up, network & make freinds, not for men looking to meet companions/guides etc.

Also as the thai women who do post here have excellent english & generally work full time in professional roles they probably wont have time to act as a guides. (But you never know) That said, there are often meet up threads arranged in the BKK, Chaingmai & Phuket sub forums where the men & women of thaivisa meet each other & posting on those threads may lead you to further contacts for guides & assistance.

Our meet up thread is pinned, just at the top of this page.

:o

Aha! Good idea! Thank you! I'll post a message on those forums and see what happens. Many thanks! :D

and to lynd

Id have met up with you for a footie game :D but no longer in Bangkok. why dont you come have a look in the football forum

the guys meet up every now and then for a game, and there will be one in december. look for a thread by jockstar on the football forum

cheers :D and welcome to thailand. I can totally relate to the not so easy to make friends and meet new people in a new country. (am still struggling elsewhere! and with no family there with me. sighhhh)

all the best :o

And it would be a great way to meet new people too. We had a friend who studied Muay Thai here on Koh Phangan, tiny little Jersey girl, (island, not state :o ) but she came out of it with some great friends and a fit, toned body.

Covered in bruises too, but she was expecting that :D

Given a few recent threads on how to meet people in bangkok for western women, I thought it might be good to merge them into one, and start a useful list of tips and things to do.

Great idea to merge the thread.

You all starting meeting up yet?

you know i have seen several girls post about meeting up on this forum and i always send them invites to various meetups via the bangkok forum and facebook groups, and none of them ever show! keep in mind you do have to get out if you want to meet people, can't expect them to come find you in your home!

you know i have seen several girls post about meeting up on this forum and i always send them invites to various meetups via the bangkok forum and facebook groups, and none of them ever show! keep in mind you do have to get out if you want to meet people, can't expect them to come find you in your home!