Marriage registry?

I am confused about this.  My Thai wife and I were married in the USA legally and have a marriage certificate from the US for it.  When we move to Thailand and I go to upgrade my Non-Im O visa for a yearly extension based on our marriage, is our current US marriage certificate satisfactory?  Does it need to be translated, certified, etc. etc. for Thai autorities to recognize it?  Thanks :-))))))

Tripxcore,

Providing that you are still in the States, approach the nearest Thai embassy/consulate with a view to registering your marriage with them. Then, for the purposes of Thai law, your marriage would be recognised in Thailand.

Regards,

Scouse.

For some reason had not seen your post until today - my computer must have failed (couldn't have been my mind). :o

Don't know exact answer as it is probably one of those 'optional' areas.  But it should not be a big deal in any case as this must be handled often.

On thing would point out is that you extension will have to be based on support rather than marriage AFAIK.  Marriage allows the non immigrant visa but not extensions of stay unless there is proof of support provided.  By law believe either party can be the source of this support.

This support you speak of comes in the form of having  400,000 in the bank at the time of submission only or is it a combination of the 400,000 and a monthly income requirement?  If its the combination, what is the monetary requirement for monthly income?  I wanted to get 1-year extensions as to avoid Visa Runs every 90 days.

It will be the 400k in a bank requirement but they will ask about your income/pension to replace it as this is designed to be used per year.  But believe some have monay in the bank only and don't have a problem so expect there is no firm requirement that must be proven, other factors being equal.

• 3 months later...
A copy of your US marriage cerificate needs to be certified as a true copy by a legally competent authority ( Thai Embassy or Consulate ) and you need to have the documents translated into Thai and also certified by a competent authority as credible translations.

Dr Pat Pong wrote the above a few months back.

Question for anyone: Can someone in Chiang Mai act as a "competent authority" in certifying a copy of my marriage certificate? DPP says "Thai Embassy or consulate," but assume he said so in the context of the thread initiator's location outside Thailand. So who, then, might be a "competent authority" in Chiang Mai?

Then I need to have it translated into Thai and have a "competent authority" certify that it is a "credible translation." Who might this be in Chiang Mai? Same guy as above?

Hopefully there is one "competent authority" location in Chiang Mai where I can bring my original US marriage license (eliminating the certified true copy step), have it translated into Thai, then have it officially blessed and stamped as a no shit translation of a certified US marriage license. But why, then, do I have this strange feeling that this would be too easy?

And if it turns out the competent authority is the Immigration Office, why then would I need it translated? I can just see me handing the original US marriage license to an officer, he translates it into Thai, certifies it, then processes my marriage visa extension. Gives a whole new meaning to circle jerk. Thus, this is probably the situation. Sigh.

Also, if I choose to use my pension in satisfying fiancial requirements, does my pension statement have to also be translated into Thai (after the Consulate certifies it as valid)?

Sorry to waste anyone's time on this, but searching under "translations" didn't offer much, except this thread.

I think my situation looks a liitle bit simular.

My dutch marriage certificate is from way back in the 70's.

Living in Indonesia now and preparing for near future stay in Thailand, I let my marriage certificate translate (translator nominated by Dutch embassy) into English and than have it certified by the Dutch embassy.

I went with all these documents to the Royal Thai embassy,who certified the ENGLISH translation. There was no need for translation into Thai,because all officials in Thailand (as long as you not go too far from the towns) are well known with the English language, was the statement of the embassy officials.

Reading the answer of Dr.P , I wander if I still need that translation into Thai,despite the answer from Royal Thai embassy.

Dutch,

It really does get confusing for those of us trying to make the paperwork transition to Thailand. And doubly confusing, I'm sure, for those like you whose documents aren't in the often-accepted language of English.

At Thai immigration I'd bet I could get by with my English-only documents the majority of the time. But veterans here -- like Dr Pat Pong and Loburi3 -- point out that there's always the possibility the officer you happen to get may demand a Thai translation. So, I'm trying to find out how strenuous it is to do. Also, I'm only 10 minutes from the Thai Embassy in DC -- so if that turns out to be the easiest "competent authority" available, I'll just have to fight Key Bridge and Georgetown traffic -- but I'd prefer to gentler venue of Chiang Mai.

Someday someone with knowledge will build a FAQ page for this forum delineating in detail all the paperwork requirements for long-term stay in Thailand, caveated by: Must Have, Should Have, Nice to Have, and Rarely Required. Unfortunately, if not updated daily, it would become obsolete. No doubt that's why there's no such animal yet existing.

My wife and I got married in my european home country. Here's what we had to do:

1) Got the marriage certificate translated and stamped by the translation agency.

2) Got the translation stamped by my embassy.

3) Went to the thai dept of foreign affairs and had it stamped.

4) Went to the amphur to have the marriage registered in Thailand.

5) The amphur refused. Probably wanted a bribe.

6) Back to the embassy. The embassy called someone at the dept of foreign affairs. Someone at the dept of foreign affairs called the amphur and told them to stop fooling around.

7) Went back to the amphur and got the Thai marriage certificate.

A copy of your US marriage cerificate needs to be certified as a true copy by a legally competent authority ( Thai Embassy or Consulate ) and you need to have the documents translated into Thai and also certified by a competent authority as credible translations.

Dr Pat Pong wrote the above a few months back.

Question for anyone: Can someone in Chiang Mai act as a "competent authority" in certifying a copy of my marriage certificate? DPP says "Thai Embassy or consulate," but assume he said so in the context of the thread initiator's location outside Thailand. So who, then, might be a "competent authority" in Chiang Mai?

Then I need to have it translated into Thai and have a "competent authority" certify that it is a "credible translation." Who might this be in Chiang Mai? Same guy as above?

Hopefully there is one "competent authority" location in Chiang Mai where I can bring my original US marriage license (eliminating the certified true copy step), have it translated into Thai, then have it officially blessed and stamped as a no shit translation of a certified US marriage license. But why, then, do I have this strange feeling that this would be too easy?

And if it turns out the competent authority is the Immigration Office, why then would I need it translated? I can just see me handing the original US marriage license to an officer, he translates it into Thai, certifies it, then processes my marriage visa extension. Gives a whole new meaning to circle jerk. Thus, this is probably the situation. Sigh.

Also, if I choose to use my pension in satisfying fiancial requirements, does my pension statement have to also be translated into Thai (after the Consulate certifies it as valid)?

Sorry to waste anyone's time on this, but searching under "translations" didn't offer much, except this thread.

Your Embassy or Consulate can certify both documents after a translator translates. ( for a fee of course ). The original poster was in the USA hence that advice.

Why did you feel the need to have your European marriage registered at the amphur? Does this open some future doors, perhaps towards permanent residency?

The marriage certificate is frequently needed when dealing with authorities, banks etc. Easier to give them a Thai document instead of having to convince them every time that the european one is real and valid.

Why did you feel the need to have your European marriage registered at the amphur? Does this open some future doors, perhaps towards permanent residency?

The marriage certificate is frequently needed when dealing with authorities, banks etc. Easier to give them a Thai document instead of having to convince them every time that the european one is real and valid.

A copy of the foreign marriage certificate duly certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will solve that problem.

A copy of the foreign marriage certificate duly certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will solve that problem.
Your Embassy or Consulate can certify both documents after a translator translates. ( for a fee of course ).

Doc,

Your answers above, both related to having foreign marriage documents certified as genuine, and their translation into Thai as also genuine, point to two alternatives. One, I can go to the US Embassy, or the US Consulate in Chiang Mai, for certification. Or, Two, I can have the Thai MFA, which I assume is also in Thailand, do the same certification. Can I also (Three) have this certification done in the Thai Embassy in Washington?

Just a little confused: On another thread, someone had mentioned they needed their divorce papers (as well as marriage papers) certified by the Thai Consulate in Chicago, with a certain colored stamp then affixed. This is all very unclear, but I don't want to have the wrong colored stamp when I waltz into Immigration for my visa extension.

Appreciate your help.

In theory, yes. In real life, the amphur didn't even want to accept the translated and certified one at first (until someone at the dept of foreign affairs gave them a phone call). Thai bureaucrats will come up with any excuse to not do their job or to ask for bribes.

It'd be different with a Thai Certificate ?

Hmm... maybe not. But at least one less excuse for them to ask for a bribe. Forces them to be more creative... :o

Marriage registration in Thailand can be of benefit in obtaining a non-O visa for marriage/support. I don't think you can qualify for that visa unless your marriage is registered in Thailand.

My Thai immigration attorney also says it's good supporting evidence to have on hand when applying for PR.

Marriage registration in Thailand can be of benefit in obtaining a non-O visa for marriage/support. I don't think you can qualify for that visa unless your marriage is registered in Thailand

Not true, at least in the US. Just a copy of my marriage certificate (and a letter from the wife affirming we're still married, plus a copy of her Thai ID card). I've done this several times at the RTE in Washington.

My marriage took place in the US, so of course the certificate is in English. Maybe if original marriage certificate is NOT in English, other rules may apply.

You might try getting married in Thailand as well as your US marriage. Dont know if you can do it but I know that you canget married here and register it and get translations and then register at the embassy. So maybe if you have the Thai wedding certificate it may help. Then again.....these days everything is getting more difficult.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I am just wondering..If we do not register our foriegn marriage cert to become a Thai marriage cert, is the wife then still considered a single under thai law? Is the marriage bureau in Thailand going to note that she is married is we do not register at the ampur?

Thanks